OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rocky Ridge Ammo

Started by slicksbeagles1, January 20, 2024, 06:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

Has anyone ever heard of and tried there ammo I saw they have a 20ga magnum 3" 2oz 9's tss

Dtrkyman

Never heard of them but I'm betting it kills on both ends!

That's a ton of shot to cram through a 20ga turkey choke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungGobbler

2oz on a 20 ga isn't it too much...? Even on 12 ga i feel like it's a lot... And what i mean by too much is that it's a heavy load, in my mind, it can't go very fast and not very far... But that's just in my mind...

OJR

Watched BCO pattern it last night. Too much sugar for a nickel in my opinion. It's going to pop the crap out of you. I like the 20 for the softer recoil and to push that 2oz of TSS it has to make a big bang.

Stingray

I looked at their website this morning, I'll stick with 1 5/8

paboxcall

Quote from: Stingray on January 26, 2024, 03:44:50 PM
I looked at their website this morning, I'll stick with 1 5/8

I'll stick with 1 3/8th oz of straight 8s.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Browning4140

I got the chance to try the 2oz load last week in a Remington 870 youth 20ga with a Sumtoy .562 and it throws a nasty pattern. 321 in a 10" at a laser measured 40yds. If you wear dentures you better double up on the fixodent because it kicks like a mule.

Old Timer

Blue Collar Outdoors is doing some testing with  these  loads on their  youtube  channel. I'll  stick with  my Apex 3inch 1 5/8 #8. Wonderful load for my 20ga.

deadbuck

I used to load 1 7/8 in a 20, and yes the recoil is noticeably more than 1 5/8.

Gooserbat

Seems like i played with an 1 7/8 20 load years ago and it was a lot on both ends. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Marc

I feel like a lot of companies that are making TSS are pushing a far heavier payload than I would prefer in the 12 or 20 ga.

My understanding, is that the stuff is so dense, it does not take up much space...  I heard one company was making a 3" load, and then putting in filler...  Probably cause so many turkey hunters think you need at least a 3" load.

Steel is at a density of 7.8
Bismuth at 9.2
Lead at 11
Hevi-Shot at 12
TSS at 18.5

So lead is only about 60% as dense as TSS, and for the same size pellets you will have 40% less shot than a lead load would have.  So you need pellets that are 40% of the size of lead to have the same pellet count for a given payload.

A 2 oz payload of #7's in TSS will still have fewer pellets than a 1.5 oz payload of #7's in lead...  Granted those TSS will pattern tighter and carry much further than will lead...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.