OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Make me retire, Please

Started by zelmo1, January 18, 2024, 06:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

My real boss( aka Mama Z ) has finally seen the light. She has been talking about a retirement "barndominium" in a warmer climate. I am all for that, but we need turkeys,lol. Tell me why your neck of the woods is a good retirement spot. Building costs, medium chunks of land, 40 plus acres, and a little water to hunt ducks and cost/quality of life. A couple spasdic turkeys wouldnt hurt either, lol. This old body's odometer is rolling over again and the clunking and creaking is getting louder, just looking for a good nesting area, lol. God bless and be safe. Z :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :jesus-cross: :funnyturkey:

Tom007

Z, I'm in the same boat. I don't want to leave my "comfort zone", my hunting and fishing spots etc. I don't mind the cold. Here's the remedy. Take her to warm climate on vacation in each of the tough Northeast Months, Jan, Feb, March. That will keep her content for the most part. If that doesn't work, buy her a Porsche, and a gift certificate to QVC and hope! It's ironic I am writing this in the airport in Sarasota on my Honey's January vacation. Weather here has not been great to say the least. Good luck my friend.....keep the faith....
"Solo hunter"

Burtwill

South Carolina is pretty good bang for your buck in some areas. I sell land here. If interested shoot me a message. Small tracts with turkeys will be a hard feat though but not impossible. Land anywhere from 3k/ac to 10k/ac depending areas and how nice it is.

Yoder409

I got nothin'.

Pennsylvania isn't even a decent vacation destination, let alone a place to retire to......unless you like some of the most absolutely crappy weather in the lower 48.

Find you a spot south of snow but north of fire ants and drive a stake.   :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Parrot Head

I can retire from teaching in 2 more years at 55.   I am ready, its not fun anymore.   Going to stay in IN though and just travel to hunt other places.

Greg Massey

All I can add is I have enjoyed my retirement ... Warm / cold .... I sure didn't let that stop me from retiring ....  My suggestion if you can retire the younger the better, don't wait until your really old to retire ....

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 18, 2024, 09:28:22 AM
All I can add is I have enjoyed my retirement ... Warm / cold .... I sure didn't let that stop me from retiring ....  My suggestion if you can retire the younger the better, don't wait until your really old to retire ....

Greg ain't wrong !!!

I ended up retired (semi-unexpectedly) just about 10 months ago.  It is NOT overrated !!!   

My discretionary spending has needed to go through an adjustment phase.  But, my increase in quality of life has surpassed and spending cuts by some exponential factor.

As soon as you can do it.........  DO IT !!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

PharmHunter

Quote from: Burtwill on January 18, 2024, 07:38:32 AM
South Carolina is pretty good bang for your buck in some areas. I sell land here. If interested shoot me a message. Small tracts with turkeys will be a hard feat though but not impossible. Land anywhere from 3k/ac to 10k/ac depending areas and how nice it is.

SC is full.  ;)

Yoder409

Quote from: Tom007 on January 18, 2024, 07:10:10 AM
It's ironic I am writing this in the airport in Sarasota on my Honey's January vacation. Weather here has not been great to say the least.

:z-dizzy:

Holy crap !!!!

We spent about 10 days in Siesta Key back in July.  94-96 degrees every day with water temps around 90 most days.  I was in my glory !!!   Just looked at the 7-day forecast and Saturday night's low is to be 38 degrees !!!!!    :o

CRAZY !!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

3bailey3

As the others have said do it as soon as you can, I retired 3 years ago at 57 and have loved every minute of it. maybe east Tn or north Al would be a nice place to retire!

Jbird22

Quote from: Parrot Head on January 18, 2024, 09:23:20 AM
I can retire from teaching in 2 more years at 55.  I am ready, its not fun anymore.   Going to stay in IN though and just travel to hunt other places.
I can totally relate to that!!!

eggshell

I retired 17 years ago and then worked another 5 in a different job, but all I can say is do it and do it as soon as you can. I was lucky the boss worked another 10 years before she retired, so financially she kept the ship afloat. Now we're both retired and love it. Sure we basically pay expenses and have very little discretionary money, but with a little attitude adjustment we have enough. The freedom to do and go where you want when you want is WONDERFUL

GobbleNut

If you are looking at a total change in environment, you might look at the southwest.  I know lots of folks from your part of the country that have relocated here and love it.  Climate and weather are generally great, and it checks off most of the boxes in your list of requirements.  Not sure you could find an affordable 40 acres in this day and age here, but you would have millions of public acres to roam to offset that need.  Lots of friendly folks  here and we might even let you join our "gentlemen's hunting club"...which consists of a bunch of us old retired guys.   ;D

guesswho

There are no turkeys, deer, hogs, squirrels, ducks etc left in AL/GA worth mentioning.   The weather is awful and the fishing sucks. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Boykin Hollow