OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Make me retire, Please

Started by zelmo1, January 18, 2024, 06:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crghss

I've been looking for a while also, it's crazy out there. Because a lot of people have the same idea. Good luck.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Brillo

I love being retired and I say it out loud almost  every day.  We are still living near family in Michigan but considering a winter nest mid south.   Not too hot, not too cold.  50-60 degree highs is about right.   Good people, turkey, deer, places to hike without snakes... NO SNAKES!

lunghit

5 more years for me and I'll be retired at 51 years old!! Good luck OP
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Roost 1

I'd look at TN.  Sounds like what you are looking for....

Cut N Run

They're trying as hard as they can to develop or pave N.C..   I hate to see it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

runngun

Come down to Louisiana, you can have access to the things that your heart desires!! I live in a area called "Northshore" The reason it's called that is because We are 70 miles or so North of Lake Pontchartrain and New Orleans as well.  If you look at the map we are in the TIP of the Boot.
Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Yoder409

Quote from: Brillo on January 18, 2024, 08:43:07 PM
  We are still living near family in Michigan but considering a winter nest mid south.   Not too hot, not too cold.  50-60 degree highs is about right.   Good people, turkey, deer, places to hike without snakes...NO SNAKES!

You're only gonna make it to about mid-south Ohio, then.     :TooFunny:

Beyond that...........snakes abound.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Boykin Hollow

And don't forget about the mosquitos, chiggars and the humidity !!!!!

zelmo1

I feel flattered that some of you think that me and Mama Z could impact your local turkey population, lol. But it isnt a negative. It would give forum members more places to hunt and improve the local economy. So thank you for all the info. We will be making a few trips in the near future to whittle it down. God Bless, Z

eggshell

There are snakes everywhere, the only place I would stay a long ways from because of snakes is Washington D.C., that is one big viper pit.
I have to admit that these same thoughts have entered my mind as well, but all I have to do is look at the bank account and realize it ain't happening. I am dumbfounded when I look at what property prices have done. I could never have imagined a scenario like we have now. My property alone is worth 10-15 times what I paid for it in 1988. Today I doubt I could sell it and buy a comparable property anywhere in the south. I am not willing to give up 2/3 rds of my acreage for a warmer home. Land that sold for $500.00 - 1,000.00 an acre when I retired (mid 2000s ) is now selling for $2500.00 -3,000.00/acre. There's still land available here in Southern Ohio, but its going up in price every day. I'd love the warmer climate, but I would hate to lose the land I have around me here. I wish I would have been a little smarter when I was young. For instance, in the 1990s I passed on a 170 acre tract of land for $40,000.00 because the timber had been all cut off. That tract sold for $480,000.00 last summer. 

Shiloh

Eggshell,

The next time you feel that scenario replaying give me a call.  I'll find some money somewhere!!!

Greg Massey

Had a guy recently pull up in my driveway wanting to buy about 5 ac of road frontage off my farm, I said what you offering he said will you take 10,000 I looked at him and said no but I will take 50,000 thousand, he looked at me like I looked at him after he offered me 10,000... I said a lot in the city will cost you that much for 1 ac... Needless to say he left and I still have my land ...

WV Flopper

It is funny to me how the price of land has always been just out of reach to me.

Numbers have increased for me greatly but so has the land. In my little area of WV land is 5K an acre for junk mountain ground without a road (Small tracts). It only goes one direction from there!

Across from my house was 85 acres of timbered ground. A Little wet but otherwise good ground. 386K four years ago. Amish bought it, cash.

quavers59

I retired 2 years ago at age 62. Staying up here in New York. I hunt North New Jersey also.I live close to the City of KirasJoel. Hasidics just bought this House.
    I have to keep Frugal in all things. Public Hunting is it for me. I drive around in a 2004 Saturn. I keep in good shape with the weights- 3 days a week. Hiking/Walking every day.And Martial Arts.
    Single here. There seems to be a tremendous number of single Women in their upper 50s and 60s. Divorce Perhaps.
    Retire as soon as you can. Too many wait till age 70 .

Tom007

Quote from: zelmo1 on January 19, 2024, 05:38:37 AM
I feel flattered that some of you think that me and Mama Z could impact your local turkey population, lol. But it isnt a negative. It would give forum members more places to hunt and improve the local economy. So thank you for all the info. We will be making a few trips in the near future to whittle it down. God Bless, Z

All kidding aside Z, I look forward to hitting the woods with you and chasing our feathered friends. The formula for retirement for anyone is "Go when you can afford to go". Life is short, I am going in to my 5th year this April. You'll see when you retire, an hour is a day, a day is a week, and a week is a month. Time flies. Enjoy it when you can.....best of luck to you.....
"Solo hunter"