turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Gauge Gun

Started by seb5315, January 16, 2024, 03:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Browning just announced a 20 guage A5 is now available. This was announced at the Shot Show. I'll bet it's a shooter.

Tom007

Quote from: Will on January 22, 2024, 08:19:23 PM
Browning just announced a 20 guage A5 is now available. This was announced at the Shot Show. I'll bet it's a shooter.

Wow, good news. The Sweet Sixteen is built on the A5 Platform also, they shoulder real well......
"Solo hunter"

Tommy Strutsalot

I, like the OP, have probably shot my last turkey with a 12ga, and like OJR, I recently picked up a Weatherby Element Turkey in 20 GA.  All of the guns you guys posted are sweet.  The element was a more palatable price point for me than some of the others I was interested in, and I really love the rubberized gripping on the pistol grip and forend.   Based on info from some of the posts on this forum, I paired it with an Indian Creek .570 and some Apex #9's.  Looking forward to checking out the pattern and ultimately running around the woods with it.

Will

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on January 24, 2024, 04:04:39 PM
I, like the OP, have probably shot my last turkey with a 12ga, and like OJR, I recently picked up a Weatherby Element Turkey in 20 GA.  All of the guns you guys posted are sweet.  The element was a more palatable price point for me than some of the others I was interested in, and I really love the rubberized gripping on the pistol grip and forend.   Based on info from some of the posts on this forum, I paired it with an Indian Creek .570 and some Apex #9's.  Looking forward to checking out the pattern and ultimately running around the woods with it.

That looks like a very good turkey gun at a great price from a reputable gun company.

huntineveryday

I got a winchester sxp longbeard in 20 gauge last year. I like pumps for my kids to start with. Feels like a cheap turkish pump, but it comes with Pistol grip, adjustable stock shims, drilled and tapped receiver, chrome lined barrel, at less than $500. I put a vortex venom with a Sumtoy mount, then the boys and I all shot birds with it.

Stingray

The M2 20ga with the 24in barrel would be hard to beat

BDeal

I bought an Affnity 3 last year. It shoots great patterns with a Carlson .575 but the fit and finish are terrrible and I have had a lot of issues with it. I'm keeping it for a backup for now. I just bought a Mossberg SA20 Turkey but have not shot it yet.

Notsoyoungturk

I won a Tristar Cobra 3 Youth 20g at an NWTF event.  It was black synthetic.  After playing around a little with it, I realized it was very light and actually shouldered pretty well.  I painted an original bottomland pattern on it and installed an optic.  Going to give it a whirl this season.  If I don't like it, I hope to have a grandchild that will use it one day.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

capecodmike

Love the SBE. I have an older 26" 12 gauge.

It's reliability, simplicity to take apart, easy to clean.

Mine's 10 plus years old and going strong.

Buy once, Cry once. You won't regret it.

Enjoy.

Duckdogdad

Retay Masai Mara turkey special. Best 20 gauge auto out there according to some.

IhateMud

Mossberg SA-20 Turkey with a Carlson's TSS choke. Shoots great with federal #9s.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

Actually the Gordion Turkey is the one I'd look at from Retay.  The Gordian is about the same weight, a lot cheaper, and comes with a pistol grip option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

BDeal

Quote from: IhateMud on February 05, 2024, 01:10:44 PM
Mossberg SA-20 Turkey with a Carlson's TSS choke. Shoots great with federal #9s.

What choke constriction are you using?

Tail Feathers

Quote from: BDeal on February 05, 2024, 02:26:59 PM
Quote from: IhateMud on February 05, 2024, 01:10:44 PM

What choke constriction are you using?
. Carlsons .575 works well in mine.  250 in the 10" at 40.  I tried an Indian Creek .555 and it did 200 with some noticeable gaps.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!