turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 Gauge Gun

Started by seb5315, January 16, 2024, 03:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

The lightest one you like, some 20ga weigh as much as my SBE2, no reason to carry a 20ga over 6lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwhana

I don't hear many talk about these much, but I bought a Midland Backpack 20 ga and had it drilled and tapped for a red dot.  For less than $200 in it sight and all, you can't beat it on performance or weight.  It shoots as good as my Franchi and I take it 90+ % of my hunts now. Pattern pics are on the site from it and the Franchi from last year.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: bwhana on January 17, 2024, 04:57:07 PM
I don't hear many talk about these much, but I bought a Midland Backpack 20 ga and had it drilled and tapped for a red dot.  For less than $200 in it sight and all, you can't beat it on performance or weight.  It shoots as good as my Franchi and I take it 90+ % of my hunts now. Pattern pics are on the site from it and the Franchi from last year.
Is that the one that breaks down in half? If so, I think that's a cool idea, but don't know anyone that has one

bwhana

Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on January 17, 2024, 04:58:51 PM
Is that the one that breaks down in half? If so, I think that's a cool idea, but don't know anyone that has one

Yes, folds in half and can even ride in a turkey vest easily.  It is a copy of an older ?Beretta? design. Mine weighs 5lbs as shown.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: bwhana on January 17, 2024, 05:05:35 PM
Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on January 17, 2024, 04:58:51 PM

Yes, folds in half and can even ride in a turkey vest easily.  It is a copy of an older ?Beretta? design. Mine weighs 5lbs as shown.

But that little toy won't kill a big turkey, John. LOL   

All joking aside, that is an awesome setup - I'm thinking about getting me one to take on the mtn.

If I remember correctly, it accepts Beretta thread chokes and it also has an adjustable length of pull kit that comes included from the factory. Hard not to take a serious look at that gun if one is shopping for a 20 gauge turkey gun to carry if they walk a lot, especially in hilly terrain.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

runngun

I have a large number of turkey hammers. But the last few years I have been hunting with an 870 20 gauge 18 inch barrel Indian Crecek 555 choke, added pistol grip stock and forearm!!! Magpul makes awesome stuff. Added a Burris FF3. It works great. -

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

zelmo1

No wrong answers here peeps. If I could find a 28 single shot I would probably be using it in the turkey woods. I got the Benelli SBE 3 28 gauge because it was light, handled nice, I wanted a waterfowl/turkey combo, and I wanted it,,lol. The gun comes with a shim kit and adjustable stock to change your POI. Everybody is built different and mount the gun a different way. I had to adjust mine to any ammo over 1200 fps as it shot high. A little tweaking and it is perfect for me. Thats the key, that it fits you. Do your homework and do what feels right for you. Then kill all those gobbling menaces. Z  :funnyturkey:

nyhunter

3-870 youth guns ,  all 3 have vortex strike fire 2's on top ,  1 w/ Sumtoy .562 "my gun"  ,  1- w/IC 555 , 1 w/ truloc .580 for the youth hunters or grandkids when they get old enough. 

RMP

Winchester SX4 waterfowl with 28" barrel here.  Light, reliable, and even with a longer barrel it's very handy and easy to hold shouldered and hold for a long time. 

runngun

I have a little Italian made 20 gauge over and under that folds up just like the Backpacker above. My Daddy traded for it a long time ago.  Get this, he traded a guy a coon dog puppy for it. It's a great little gun. I normally shoot my little 870 20 gauge though.
Y'all have a good one and May God bless, Bo.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

bwhana

Quote from: runngun on January 21, 2024, 02:20:32 PM
I have a little Italian made 20 gauge over and under that folds up just like the Backpacker above. My Daddy traded for it a long time ago.  Get this, he traded a guy a coon dog puppy for it. It's a great little gun. I normally shoot my little 870 20 gauge though.
Y'all have a good one and May God bless, Bo.

Sounds like you have one of the originals, certainly a keeper.  Very cool!

Gobbler428

I hunted with a 12ga Benelli SBE 2 for many years and loved everything about it except the weight. Two years ago i decided to go 20ga and bought a 20ga Benelli SBE3. Its a 26in barrel with a Rob Roberts 560 choke and a red dot. Great little gun that shoots lights out and is easy to carry all day.

Muzzy61

After years of toting a Mossberg 835 I'm going to try hunting with a Mossberg super bantam 20 gauge this year. It's much lighter and patterns nice with the TSS.
My grandson ( 8 years old) is currently using a .410, but will be ready to move up to a 20 gauge in a couple of years and I'll have one set up and ready to go for him.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

A lot of hunters are moving to the sub-gauge Turkey guns due to weight. There are a lot of options out there if you want to tote a lighter gun afield. My sub gauge choice is a Browning Sweet Sixteen with a 26 inch barrel. It is a new version of the Sweet Sixteen with an alloy receiver. It weighs 5 lbs 10 ounces. It has a Browning DS choke system, there are custom turkey chokes available. I also have no problem finding turkey loads for it. The gun has no kick, and with Apex TSS loads, it makes a real good sub-gauge alternative. Something to consider for sure....
"Solo hunter"