OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 Gauge Gun

Started by seb5315, January 16, 2024, 03:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

If you are a SBE guy you already have your answer, lol. If you are looking for an inexpensive alternative, look at a Stoeger or Mossberg. Lots of 20 gauge options out there. If money isnt an issue SBE3. Z

bowbird87

The M2 is a wonderful gun I have a 12 and 20. I originally got the Franchi 20, but sold it for the benelli and have never looked back. The youth 870 is also a great gun. It will shoot great with almost any choke you put in it. The M2 can be pretty picky after 4-5 chokes the IC .555 shot the best in the end.

Badger

I have a Benelli M2 in a 12g and just gave my son-in law my Black Eagle.  But last year, I bought a Retay Masai Mara Turkey Model in 20g and really like the gun.. The case the gun came in weighs more than gun.  Gun performed well when Turkey hunting.

Yoder409

Coming up on my 46th spring season, I've spent that amount of time arriving at what works for me.  That being reliability and simplicity.......in everything I carry to the woods.  I've become a pretty severe minimalist.

When it comes to my dedicated turkey gun, I've been through most of the angles.  What I arrived at and cannot think of any reason to ever change is an NEF Pardner 20 gauge single.  A barrel, a stock, a hammer, a trigger, a "Made in the USA" stamp....... very little more.

All 100% one guy's opinion.  May not suit everyone. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 17, 2024, 09:07:53 AM
Coming up on my 46th spring season, I've spent that amount of time arriving at what works for me.  That being reliability and simplicity.......in everything I carry to the woods.  I've become a pretty severe minimalist.

When it comes to my dedicated turkey gun, I've been through most of the angles.  What I arrived at and cannot think of any reason to ever change is an NEF Pardner 20 gauge single.  A barrel, a stock, a hammer, a trigger, a "Made in the USA" stamp....... very little more.

Good to know. I just refurbished a family Pardner 20 for this season and looking forward to it being my turkey gun. It has a modified choke but at 20 yrs, it'll kill a turkey. Gonna have to work them close which I'm fine with.

What is yours choked in? Did you camo it in any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillbillyfab

If you're already thinking about the SBE3, you might as well pull the trigger and get on lined up. I have a few single shot 20's that I enjoy carrying and a Tristar semi 20. All serve their purpose well, but there is one I try and sneak out of the cabinet, if my son isn't looking. It's his Remington youth 870 20. It's just a good shooting, handling shotgun in the turkey woods.

sswv

getting close to 50 spring gobbler seasons for me and a 12ga was the only gun discussed BUT, with the new ammo offerings along with the choke offerings a 20ga is all I carry anymore. an 870 21" and a 301 22".  put pro diamond scopes on both after last season and can't wait to try them.

lunghit

Quote from: Kytomgetter on January 16, 2024, 03:42:13 PM
Me too. I just ordered a Winchester Sx4. Been wanting to try a 20 gauge. By some of the patterns I've been seeing they look great. I'm anxious to try it. Good luck with whatever you choose.
LOVE my SX4. Actually I own 2 20 gauge SX4's and a 20 gauge SX3 and I would not change a thing. I sold my Benelli's and use nothing but the SX line now.

r
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Yoder409

Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on January 17, 2024, 09:14:26 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on January 17, 2024, 09:07:53 AM

Good to know. I just refurbished a family Pardner 20 for this season and looking forward to it being my turkey gun. It has a modified choke but at 20 yrs, it'll kill a turkey. Gonna have to work them close which I'm fine with.

What is yours choked in? Did you camo it in any way?

I sent my gun through William's rehabilitation program at SumToy Customs.    ;D

It's threaded with Tru-Choke threads and sports one of SumToy's .562-5" tubes.  I shoot the old skool Federal Hevay 7's (15 g/cc) and the gun is devastating.  My daughter's gun is stocked differently than mine.  But is.....metal-to-metal..... identical.  Hers patterns 9% - 10% better than mine !!

Both my gun and hers are factory laminated stocks and matte-ish metal finish.  Haven't altered that in any way.  I've also got 3 other NEF and H&R singles set up.  Another 20, a 12 and a .410   They are all 3 blued and walnut.  I've no issues with that and, honestly........neither have the turkeys. 

Mine:

And, then, the REAL deal !!!

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

tracker#1

My 12s have been retired for the past 4 years because of the tss market. I built a dedicated 870 20 gauge with all the bells and whistles and then switched to a Stevens O/U 555. Currently building another Tristar O/U. I like the best of both worlds that comes with an O/U but I wouldn't use a 20 unless using tss... that's me.

WW

I would love to buy a Benelli but I like using the factory bead to aim. Benelli's are always off on point of aim/point of impact. I will not use an optic so the Benelli is not an option for me.

Yoder409

Quote from: WW on January 17, 2024, 12:08:00 PM
I would love to buy a Benelli but I like using the factory bead to aim. Benelli's are always off on point of aim/point of impact. I will not use an optic so the Benelli is not an option for me.

Was just discussing this very same thing (AND the "Benelli click") twice within the last 4 days with other groups of turkey-minded folks.

WHY do they (Benelli) have issues getting a $1500 - $2000 shotgun to shoot where it's pointed ???   Hatfield and Maverick can make their $150 guns shoot straight........
PA elitist since 1979

kwild835

Quote from: WW on January 17, 2024, 12:08:00 PM
They aren't always off, my 20 shoots POA.  The two 21" barreled 12 gauges did shoot very high.  Sold one and bent the magazine tube on the other and now it shoots POA.  The mag tube bending fixes the POA/POI issue and it is easy.  A little stressful, but easy.

Remington700

I wanted a Benelli M2, but got a Franchi Affinity 3 instead. I have hunted with it the last 3 seasons and love it.

blake_08

I have a Stevens 301T in a 20 gauge and I have thoroughly enjoyed carrying it the last few years. Between me and one son of mine, we've killed about 15 gobblers with it and it has been deadly. I agree with some above that, for me, it was not going to be a dual purpose gun so I didn't spring for a semi auto. I like the simplicity and dependability of the single shot. Also, I like the light weight over a heavy 12 gauge.

OP, you'll love the 20 gauge. Coupled with TSS and a good choke, you're gaining a lot and losing nothing but a few pounds in gun weight. Enjoy!