turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Locator calls and makers

Started by Notsoyoungturk, January 16, 2024, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notsoyoungturk

What are your favorite locator calls and who are your favorite makers?  Would also be curious why you choose one locator over another.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Greg Massey

Yoder409

Only locator call I carry are my turkey calls.

However.......... If the local birds here were at all receptive to locator calls.........which they aren't....... I'd have me one of James Harrison's owl hooters.  Had a nice little visit with him this past weekend at Unicoi and, SON...... !!!!!  His tubes are FIRE !!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

In agreement with the two fine gentleman above. I can more convincingly hoot with my voice than any call I've tried. Some of those hooter calls are really cool though and some folks can make them sing. Im just not one of them.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

WV Flopper

LOL... I am aligned with the three above me. I don't carry one and use my own voice when I do try and locate.

I did always start the morning with a choir of hoots. Very seldom do I hoot anymore. If I do, it's usually to announce my presence to a person but their typically not able to tell it's a human so not a productive deterrent I guess.

g8rvet

Owl hoot with my voice.   

Hammerin Crow if I want to use a crow call.  It is LOUD and a very effective locator at a lot of places I hunt.  Located a bird with it last year late up in the morning and called him in for my son in law.  Let us get in position before making a hen sound. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mcw3734

Natural voice owl hoot in the very early morning, Quaker Boy crow call after that.

Kytomgetter

I've used a owl hooter from Knight & Hale from way back, I also use a crow call from Cane Creek Calls. Just like one of the previous posters I let Mother Nature do it

The Lung

I like Double Coyotee Custom Calls for crow and owl hooters.
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

aclawrence

I have a Harrison Hoot'n'stick. I feel like I can produce a pretty realistic hoot with it but I have gotten very few gobbles with it the last few years. I guess our turkeys get hooted to death and they just don't respond to owls that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan121787

James Harrison calls are the most realistic that I've heard.

bowbird87

PalmettoRon

Wait on Mother Nature first.

My voice owl hoot if Mother Nature is sleeping late.

Gibson crow later in the morning

Like a peacock a lot out west

NCSWAMPFOX

voice owl and crow after that time has passed. picked up good crow call from chad scruggs at unicoi past weekend

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr