turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Base Layers

Started by wvhoyt19, January 15, 2024, 05:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvhoyt19

Looking for recommendations on base layers for turkey hunting. Base layers that can add dome warmth, wick away moisture and comfortable for putting in several miles a day. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MossyOak92

First lite. It hurts the pocket book but it is worth it.

Gobspur

Yep, first lite or Kuiu zip off long johns.  Game-changers.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

slicksbeagles1

Kuiu wool the big plus is the bottoms have zip off bottoms so you don't have to take your boots or pants off to take them off makes layering up and down easy They also have synthetic built the same way I have both and prefer the wool Forloh makes synthetic but no zip off bottoms but made in the USA

jmart241

First Lite get them when theyre on sale no smell after sweating can wear for a week or more

Sir-diealot

Are the First Lite also made off wool? I ask because I am allergic to wool. Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Big Jeremy

I really like the merino wool layers from black ovis. Way cheaper than the competition, especially when it's a daily deal on camofire, and they've been nothing but great for me. Lightweight, not thick or cumbersome, but are a great insulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boykin Hollow

greentrout

Is Smart Wool still in business? I have base layers as well as their layering socks and they're absolutely perfect. They have held up for years.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Tom007

Polar tech makes great base layer warmth. I have the quarter zip top and long underwear bottoms. Wicks away moisture so if you sweat, you don't freeze. I got it from Cabelas. I was told the Military uses it. Good luck....

doublespurs21

look up  minus 33..  they have some nice base layers also....

Notsoyoungturk

I agree with the merino wool recommendation.  Lots of good companies to choose from.  Will keep you warm even if you get wet.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

mcw3734

Merino wool is a great base layer material for bottoms, tops and head. Besides comfort and insulation, the odor resistant qualities are real. Many companies that offer it, Smartwool is what I've used and been happy with. While there is nothing wrong with the hunting clothing lines (Kuiu, First Lite, and others), shop for the material specs, not the brand recognition, you'll likely save a few dollars.

The Kuiu zip-offs look nice, but I thought they had a very weird, baggy feel to them on me. It's the only item of theirs I ever sent back. But... that's also just me.

WV Flopper

I suggest setting in the truck until it warms up!

Nathan_Wiles

Merino wool, I use the Nomad, Midway, and Black Ovis versions in 150 and 200 weights. They have held up well and keep comfortable here in SC, with proper layering.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk