OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Between Turkey Seasons....

Started by GobbleNut, July 08, 2011, 01:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

...This is what we get to do here in New Mexico (if we're lucky enough to draw a permit).  This is an African oryx,...also called a Gemsbok.  These are free-ranging animals that were transplanted onto White Sands Missile Range back in the sixties.  They have done so well that they now inhabit a good part of southern NM.  The state allows about 2000 permits for them each year.

Me and a buddy had permits for July.  I killed this guy (a small bull) on the second morning.  He killed his on the fourth day we went out.   Pretty cool to get to go on an African safari within an hours drive of my house! 

anthonyjhallen

Way to go Jim.  Thems good eatin. 

honker22

Congrats!  What a cool/beautiful animal
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

dirt road ninja

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

flintlock

That is awesome, way to go!
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Basser69

Congrats! I wish we had something like that around here to hunt this time of year.

Flydown

TRKYHTR

Nice Oryx Jim. Haven't you killed one of those before? How often do you get drawn?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkey slayer

njdevilsb

That is very cool.  That's my number 1 priority if I ever go hunting in Africa.  Pretty cool that we have them somewhat close to home, depending.

guesswho

Cool!  Congrats.  I bet Rob Keck is responsible for them being transplanted.

Are they as smart as turkeys? ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

To respond to the questions:

The oryx are really a neat addition to our hunting opportunity here.  The state is pretty proud of them, though,....for nonresidents, the cost for the license is around $1,500....if you can get drawn.   However, the odds of killing one of them are high.

I have been lucky as a resident to have been able to hunt them six times,...and have killed one each time I have drawn.   The odds of drawing a permit are about one in ten,....and my buddy and I have drawn three years in a row,...and like five times in the last eight years or so!  I need to buy some lottery tickets.....

(...And yes, Ronnie, ...Rob is Da'Man!  Without him, there would be no oryx,....or turkeys....
...I haven't seen one of them fly up on a feeder yet, though...., but the NWTF is training them as we speak....)  ;D

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 09, 2011, 09:52:06 AM
And yes, Ronnie, ...Rob is Da'Man!  Without him, there would be no oryx,....or turkeys....
...I haven't seen one of them fly up on a feeder yet, though...., but the NWTF is training them as we speak....)  ;D
Looks like they could just take their horns and poke a couple big holes in the bottom of the feeder, no need to learn to fly then.  Probably be safer too!   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on July 09, 2011, 11:16:10 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on July 09, 2011, 09:52:06 AM
And yes, Ronnie, ...Rob is Da'Man!  Without him, there would be no oryx,....or turkeys....
Looks like they could just take their horns and poke a couple big holes in the bottom of the feeder, no need to learn to fly then.  Probably be safer too!   

Yep,....they will try to poke a hole in us once in a while if we're not careful!