OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Didnt realize I had a callmaker off this board in my collection

Started by savduck, July 07, 2011, 10:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

I have bought some different calls over the years looking for a different sound than others might have in the woods. I had gotten myself a couple of scratch box calls. Ive played with them  a few times but havent gotten serious about learning to get good with them. Well I have plenty of time here in the trailer without my family around during the work week so I brought some of them up.

Low and behold one of little Scratch box callers was from MAGNOLIA GAME CALLS. Im not a pro on this thing, but got it sounding good enough. Heres a little plug for Magonolia scratch box made in 2003. Click on picture.

Georgia Boy

drenalinld

You make that thing sound really good. I have only tinkered very little with a scratch box, but I want to get a couple good ones and spend some time getting proficient with them. That breakover on the yelp sounds really good on the clip. Thanks for sharing. I think the clucks on a scratch box may be the most realistic we can produce.

savduck

Ive got four or five of them. I like the skinny ones like Tom Gaskins or the one in this clip versus a more square, boxy shape. The Gaskin style are easier to hold and manuever. you can get all different kinds of hen sounds out of them depending on where you hold them or strike the peg. I take a pen and draw and arrow on the sweet spot on the lip and on the peg. I also outline my thumb tip where I rest my thumb, so I can go back to the same spot every time.

I cant remember exactly how much it was but I think I paid less than 40 bucks for that Magnolia caller. It is Cedar with a cedar peg and a second peg with a harder wood. I think the Gaskins caller was 25 bucks. I believe these would make a great caller for someone on a budget. You should hear a master run one. I have one from Olin Humpries called the Double talker....he can gobble, kee kee, purr, yelp, cutt, flydown and he makes it look easy.

Georgia Boy

Houndstooth Game Calls

Thats a nice sounding scratch box for sure. I have always used scratch boxes off and on and killed turkeys with them the turkeys love them for sure not that many folks toting them. I have killed several with gaskins but it always seemed the cedar lost its tone I probably should have poly coated them to help them keep there tone.--lyle

drenalinld

Quote from: savduck on July 08, 2011, 08:37:07 AM
....he can gobble, kee kee, purr, yelp, cutt, flydown and he makes it look easy.

I would love to spend a little time with a master like that and pick up some pointers. You're a lot better with it than you give yourself credit for, though.

I've seen a couple guys gobble on pot and peg calls. I haven't got that figured out yet. I can get a decent gobble with a tube call.

I really want to become a good caller with tube, scratch box, and wingbone or trumpet. I think those different sounds will pay off, plus I like the tradition of the older style.

savduck

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on July 08, 2011, 08:47:51 AM
Thats a nice sounding scratch box for sure. I have always used scratch boxes off and on and killed turkeys with them the turkeys love them for sure not that many folks toting them. I have killed several with gaskins but it always seemed the cedar lost its tone I probably should have poly coated them to help them keep there tone.--lyle

Both the Gaskins and the Magnolia are Cedar. I have noticed a groove wearing thin on the sweet spot on both of these. It will also shift after a while.  Id like to get hold of one designed small and skinny like these two with a different wood, like maybe a curly maple box with purple heart peg. I like the fact you can put them in your shirt pocket and roll.
Georgia Boy

savduck

Quote from: drenalinld on July 08, 2011, 09:10:26 AM

I would love to spend a little time with a master like that and pick up some pointers. You're a lot better with it than you give yourself credit for, though.

I really want to become a good caller with tube, scratch box, and wingbone or trumpet. I think those different sounds will pay off, plus I like the tradition of the older style.

Thats exactly what Im doing now. I live 3 hours away from my family during the work week by myself, so I brought along a tube, trumpet, and the scratch boxes. Im getting there on the trumpet and tube. Tube is the hardest by far.

You should look Olin Humpries up. He is out of Eatonton GA, Im a big fan of his. I dont make the national convention on a regular basis but I do hit our local show here in GA every year, and get to see him every year. Next to the convention its one of the best local shows Ive been too. I think he makes some of the finest box calls and scratches boxes made. They sound great and the finish is excellent.
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

savduck

Here you go. Magnolia is on the left with its two strikers. gaskins on the right.

In case you ask about the ink....The arrows on the Magnolia mark the sweet spot for the yelp and one for the kee kee. The PS stands for play side....the side with the sweet spot on the peg

On the gaskins....same thing, but you can also see the outline of my where I need to place my thumb when holding it. There is a sound file for the gaskins up in the call sounds board.
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

Maybe the pic is inverted or maybe I'm not seeing it clearly but it looks like from the thumb position that you are pushing the call away from you rather that pulling it to you. Is that correct?

savduck

Yes.

I hold the peg in my left hand. The bottom in the fatty palm below my thumb and then the top with my middle finger. The box with my right hand, scratching from the upper part of the peg closest to my thumb towards the center of the peg end at my middle finger. At the end of the yelp, I roll the box lid just a tad downwards going in the same direction. U  cant really hear it  well on the audio, but it gives the call some rasp/ bark at the end of the yelp.

The magnolia caller has a little more lip on the sound board of the box, it vibrates more and is louder, so when I hold it, I wrap my middle finger from my right hand under the call and touch the sound board to dampen it a little. It mellows it out. in the picture it is upside down of how i hold it. I didnt mark my thumb, because I just place it on the gobblers head, but  run it the same as the gaskins. I made you another little clip

Georgia Boy

drenalinld

I like it. I haven't practice a lot with one, but I was running it with the box tuned 180 deg from that and pulling it to the thumbs. I will try your way. I can get good clucks and purrs and even cutts and cackles, but my yelp needs work. The only scratch boxes I have are "cedar ridge" or something like that i found at a local Wal Mart. The clucks and purrs are spot on but I haven't found that sweet yelp yet. I will keep practicing and looking for a better scratch box.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

savduck

Quote from: drenalinld on July 08, 2011, 04:12:37 PM
I like it. I haven't practice a lot with one, but I was running it with the box tuned 180 deg from that and pulling it to the thumbs. I will try your way. I can get good clucks and purrs and even cutts and cackles, but my yelp needs work. The only scratch boxes I have are "cedar ridge" or something like that i found at a local Wal Mart. The clucks and purrs are spot on but I haven't found that sweet yelp yet. I will keep practicing and looking for a better scratch box.

Sometimes it takes a little stick time to find the sweet spot. You have to "break" the call in. I have put little 220 grit on both of these calls fine tuning them a little.

Check out Kenny Morgans Friction wood. That thing is unreal. You should hear him run it.
Georgia Boy

Old Gobbler

Ive heard Tom Gaskins Sr. play that call in person many moons ago - it would make your hair stand on end - that man knew how to make and run a can
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon