OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tail Fan in the freezer?

Started by woodchip, July 07, 2011, 08:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchip

I killed a Rio this Spring in Western Kansas on May the 13th.  It's been in the freezer since then and I've been looking for a local taxidermist to do a fan mount.  Is there a limit on how long the fan can be frozen before it can't be mounted (ruined)?

hookedspur

Im in the same boat with you , I hope someone knows .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Wingbone

X2. Making sure none of the feathers are bent or overlapping will go a long way in helping the taxidermist get it like you want it. I use the cardboard too.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

hobbes

It will eventually freezer burn the skin and meat, but there is so little of the skin remaining when he mounts it that it won't make much difference.  It will likely rehydrate when he washes it.  It can also be put together without skin if necessary.  I'd say for a fan mount, you could keep it in there indefinitely if you protect the feathers from damage.

mountman62

pretty much for several years, we gonna cut most everything that will hurt off any way, but please put them where they won't get too messed up
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

duxrus

We can fix most freezer burn issues BUT why wait. All you need is a 2.5 gallon ziplock bag....it will fit no problem once you fold the fan closed. I have some 3 years old that are still fine. Once in the ziplock you would have to severely bend the feathers to damage them....bending a little won't hurt at all. When they get washed they will straighten right back out. I hope this helps.

woodchip

Thanks alot guys.  I have it fold up like it would be naturally and in a plastic grocery bag.  It is laying in one of the baskets in the freezer by itself.  So all is good!  I was mainly concerned about freezer burn.  I plan to take it to a taxidermist in the next couple weeks.

redarrow

Cardboard is cool,.but you can also slip it in an old pant leg or shirt sleeve too.

duxrus

No offense but turkey fans are tougher than you think. Panty hose is a BAD idea (IMO). They do nothing to insulate and can easily grab feathers as you slide them on and bend them badly. Who ever started the panty hose idea way back when must not had access to a simple plastic bag. I have NEVER had plastic do damage where as every other bird I get in Panty hose has some smashed and bent feathers not to mention water or blood on them causes more potential problems. Why take the chance? I am not saying that being over protective of your trophy is a bad thing. It just isn't necessary in most cases.  I do tons of fan mounts and fans for decoys a year and don't do anything more than cut them off and bag them before going on a shelf with all the other ones. This system hasn't failed me in over 20 years.... :)

stinkpickle

Quote from: duxrus on July 09, 2011, 03:56:36 PM
...Panty hose is a BAD idea (IMO). They do nothing to insulate and can easily grab feathers as you slide them on and bend them badly...

True that.  With pantyhose, you're either going WITH or AGAINST the grain...and against the grain is bad.  Plastic bags are fine for fans.  There's not enough moisture in feathers for any freezer damage anyway.