OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Turkey Species

Started by Brinkcalls, December 29, 2023, 08:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberthyman14

I've only hunted easterns here in north Florida.  High pressure public land at that.  Ours birds don't gobble much.  But getting setup on a bird in a pine thicket that was previously burned and has ferns growing back is a great scene. Usually gotta be around a creek bottom for good roosting.  Most mornings once they hit the ground you aint getting to many more gobbles out of them unless its just the right day for that bird. 

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I have only hunted Eastern Turkey so I will comment on what I would like to hunt most that that would be the Merriam's both for their buetiful markings and the mountainous area's they tend to inhabit as I have never seen mountains before and they the Gould's turkeys also for their beautiful plumage.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 05, 2024, 11:41:03 PM
I have only hunted Eastern Turkey so I will comment on what I would like to hunt most that that would be the Merriam's both for their buetiful markings and the mountainous area's they tend to inhabit as I have never seen mountains before and they the Gould's turkeys also for their beautiful plumage.

There's something about those white tips.....if you're used to seeing Easterns....... the first several times you see one blow up into strut.

The first time I saw a Gould's go into strut, he was in a shaded creek bottom under some big pines.   It looked, to me, like someone had turned a fluorescent light on.  He had a hen and WAS NOT about to come.  So I started calling more to her than him.  She came.  He followed.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 06, 2024, 06:16:40 AM
I have only hunted Eastern Turkey so I will comment on what I would like to hunt most that that would be the Merriam's both for their beautiful markings and the mountainous area's they tend to inhabit as I have never seen mountains before and they the Gould's turkeys also for their beautiful plumage.

There's something about those white tips.....if you're used to seeing Easterns....... the first several times you see one blow up into strut.

The first time I saw a Gould's go into strut, he was in a shaded creek bottom under some big pines.   It looked, to me, like someone had turned a fluorescent light on.  He had a hen and WAS NOT about to come.  So I started calling more to her than him.  She came.  He followed.

They sure are a pretty bird. Rio's seem to be very tall from videos I have seen, that is kind of a neat characteristic. I was supposed to hunt Rio's but then Covid happened and then my sister died and the guy that was supposed to guide me had lost his license for a time. With my sisters passing I doubt I will ever be in OK ago unless the nephews get married, I don't see that happening anytime soon and for them I hope not, they have a lot a maturing to do before they think of getting married.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 07, 2024, 03:39:45 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on January 06, 2024, 06:16:40 AM
I have only hunted Eastern Turkey so I will comment on what I would like to hunt most that that would be the Merriam's both for their beautiful markings and the mountainous area's they tend to inhabit as I have never seen mountains before and they the Gould's turkeys also for their beautiful plumage.

They sure are a pretty bird. Rio's seem to be very tall from videos I have seen, that is kind of a neat characteristic. I was supposed to hunt Rio's but then Covid happened and then my sister died and the guy that was supposed to guide me had lost his license for a time. With my sisters passing I doubt I will ever be in OK ago unless the nephews get married, I don't see that happening anytime soon and for them I hope not, they have a lot a maturing to do before they think of getting married.

There's not ANY of the subspecies a guy should turn down a chance to go somewhere and hunt.

I call it "looking at different trees".   I know my home turf about as well as the turkeys do and, over the years, I used that to my great advantage.   But, to me, it's awesome to get tossed into a new scenario.   Tests what your (my) turkey I.Q. is really made of.

And the WIDE differences in terrain and scenery......
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 30, 2023, 08:26:24 PM
Interesting replies.  I suspect most of us favor the subspecies we are most familiar with and in the habitat we have gravitated towards preferring.

Regardless, I think most of us are gonna "dance with the one that brung us".

There it is...

I have hunted Rio's...  I have nothing to compare to.  But will say that Merriam's are on my list...  Birds hold some appeal, as does the country they inhabit...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Hook hanger

Eastern for his gobble, the others just sound so weak in comparison.

silent tom

Easterns if I had to pick one. Merriams in the mountains are a close second.

WW

Merriams. Simply because they live in the prettiest places that I get to hunt. Places that will make a man stop and look in awe of what the Lord has created.

zelmo1

My favorite kind of turkeys are ones that gobble. If I had to pick a species it would have to be easterns, since I grew up hunting them. Z

Dougas

I have only hunted Rios. Marriams are what I want to go for.

The Lung

We have Rios and Easterns here in Oklahoma, and I gotta say I love how eager the those dumb Rios are when they get fired up. I've found the Easterns in OK to be pretty smart. I enjoy hunting them both, giving the edge to the Rio Grande.
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

YoungGobbler

For the white on their tail feather, Merriam and Goulds. But i have only seen them in pictures and most probably forever will.

I hunt easterns in normal easterns landscape and it's fine to me. I love to be in them Turkey Woods...

Swampmonkey

Growing up hunting SC easterns I' really want to lean that way but ill give the edge to a Osceola in a south Florida oak hammock. Never noticed much difference in their gobbles, and that habitat is hauntingly beautiful. Rio's and Merriam's are beautiful birds they just don't bring the thunder. Gould's in Chihuahua was definitely the hunt of a lifetime and to me the most beautiful as far as plumage, and landscape inhabited, but something about that childish gobble knocks them down a peg overall.

g8rvet

I don't think I have a real vote as I have only hunted Eastern and Osceola.  But I know when I get in a creek bottom with a gobbling Eastern, I am gonna have fun. 

This is the remnants of an old bridge that crossed this creek headed to a still from way back.  All the locals know the little 2 track that leads to it as "The Still Road".  Battled a few gobblers around this creek and others just like it. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.