OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Turkey Species

Started by Brinkcalls, December 29, 2023, 08:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbler428

Happy

I have an extremely limited perspective. However, an eastern Appalachian mt gobbler with a little age on him that has scratched out an existence without the help of cornfields, and grainfields has an edge to him that I appreciate. He ain't the biggest, with a long beards and sharp spurs, but when he gobbles, he gobbles like he owns the world, and you typically gotta go earn him. I have killed and had a hand in helping get some really nice lowland easterns killed. While they were trophy sized birds, they didn't give me half the battle these mountain birds do. That's where I get maximum fun.
I have never hunted them, but I can imagine a hard hunted swamp eastern or Osceola being on that level.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

CALLM2U

I'll start with my least favorite.

Osceola - I hate the territory they call home.  (everything bites and stings)
Rio - They are fun, but again, the territory they call home isn't as interesting as others.
Merriam - The Rockies are a really cool place.
Eastern - In my opinion, it doesn't get much more enjoyable than chasing an Appalachian mountain Eastern. 

GobbleNut

Interesting replies.  I suspect most of us favor the subspecies we are most familiar with and in the habitat we have gravitated towards preferring. I am no different.  I "cut my teeth" hunting Merriam's gobblers in the high, public-land mountains in the southwest and they are most dear to my heart.

Having hunted all five subspecies a bit, I have determined for myself that all of them have their ups and downs...depending on where, when, and how you must hunt them.  Put a guy on any of them in ideal circumstances and when they are in the right frame of mind and they can be pushovers...and conversely, hunt any of them when they are not and all of them can be frustratingly difficult.  Regardless, I think most of us are gonna "dance with the one that brung us". 

EZ

Quote from: Happy on December 30, 2023, 12:17:41 PM
I have an extremely limited perspective. However, an eastern Appalachian mt gobbler with a little age on him that has scratched out an existence without the help of cornfields, and grainfields has an edge to him that I appreciate. He ain't the biggest, with a long beards and sharp spurs, but when he gobbles, he gobbles like he owns the world, and you typically gotta go earn him. I have killed and had a hand in helping get some really nice lowland easterns killed. While they were trophy sized birds, they didn't give me half the battle these mountain birds do. That's where I get maximum fun.
I have never hunted them, but I can imagine a hard hunted swamp eastern or Osceola being on that level.

X100!!!

Jfowler82

Give me the eastern all day, every day , and twice on Sunday . All kidding aside that's all I've known.

Tailwalk

Hunted them all. Something about Osceolas in the Everglades that feels the most wild!

With that being said a gobbling hardwoods eastern is exciting.

They are all great who am I kidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OJR

For the experience and the beauty of the land there is nothing like hunting the Gould's in the Sierr@   Madre Mountains of Mexico. For my go to, it's the Eastern due to the fact that that's what is available to me on a daily basis.  I have hunted them all and the one I'm on is my favorite!

PharmHunter

Quote from: Tail Feathers on December 29, 2023, 09:49:34 PM
Got to love those hard gobbling and "come in from a mile away" Rios.

This!

But nothing beats an Eastern's gobble.  Just wish they did it all day long at any and everything like Rio's lol.

Yoder409

For me, it's more a matter of what scenery I hunt them in than which color tail feathers I most prefer.  There's chapters to be written on each and every one......both pro and con.  Thought I'd share a pic of a place where I've hunted each of the 5 subspecies of Meleagris gallopavo.

The Eastern:

The Rio Grande:

The Merriam's:

The Osceola:

The Gould's:

Hopefully, a pic for Meleagris ocellata coming in the near future...........    :z-guntootsmiley:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 03, 2024, 12:00:02 PM
For me, it's more a matter of what scenery I hunt them in than which color tail feathers I most prefer.  There's chapters to be written on each and every one......both pro and con.  Thought I'd share a pic of a place where I've hunted each of the 5 subspecies of Meleagris gallopavo.

The Eastern:

The Rio Grande:

The Merriam's:

The Osceola:

The Gould's:

Hopefully, a pic for Meleagris ocellata coming in the near future...........    :z-guntootsmiley:
That's awesome yoder, love Easterns (all I've ever hunted) and hope to hunt turkeys in a few of them locales in the future....

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Brinkcalls

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 03, 2024, 12:00:02 PM

The Eastern:

The Rio Grande:

The Merriam's:

The Osceola:

The Gould's:

These pics speak volumes. I'd love to put myself there. Super jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Yoder's 1st pic suites me just fine. All I know are easterns. There was a time when I can fancied the idea of bagging one of each sub species but those days have long since fallen to the wayside. Gobblers in the hardwoods  puts me at peace.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Chad Gus715

Merriam's in the hills/mountains of the west is where it's at for me.

Bolandstrutters

Easterns, specifically in the ozark mountains.