OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Turkey Species

Started by Brinkcalls, December 29, 2023, 08:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brinkcalls

What's your favorite turkey species? Whether for hunting, for looks, or otherwise.

Easterns are near and dear to my heart. A big boy coming through some early morning timber really gets the heart going... BUT

I'd love to get a Goulds. They look incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalmettoRon

I'm being petty, but there are 2 species. Meleagris gallopavo and Meleagris ocellata.

Of the 5 subspecies of Meleagris gallopavo, I'd go with Goulds first and Merriams from a distance and Rios up close. A Rio up close and in the sun has so many bronzes and greens.

To hunt, hands down Southern swamp Easterns. They should be listed as a separate species as those boys are tough.

davisd9

Easterns, especially southeast Easterns.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Merriam's and Rios as for the overall colors of the gobblers  ....

jhoward11

Merriam's for color, Rio's for their vocalization, and Easter's for their workability, Don't know about Osceola's...Yet

guesswho

I grew up on Osceolas so they get the nod, followed closely be Easterns.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Brinkcalls

Quote from: PalmettoRon on December 29, 2023, 09:13:04 AM
I'm being petty, but there are 2 species. Meleagris gallopavo and Meleagris ocellata.

Of the 5 subspecies of Meleagris gallopavo, I'd go with Goulds first and Merriams from a distance and Rios up close. A Rio up close and in the sun has so many bronzes and greens.

To hunt, hands down Southern swamp Easterns. They should be listed as a separate species as those boys are tough.
Yes, correct! I sometimes space the distinction to our colorful peacock lookin ones to the south!  Unreal birds though!

Tom007

Ridge Roamer Eastern's, but I love 'em all......
"Solo hunter"

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ChiefBubba

I'm coping out on this one but I just like turkeys. All of them. Just chasing them all. Bubba

deerhunt1988

I've killed plenty of each subspecies but the eastern has my heart. Nothing can compare to a big timber eastern's gobble and drumming. Especially larger framed birds in the hills. That being said, each subspecies has their own quirks that I enjoy. Rios and Merriam's, their tendency to gobble more at all times of day and after fly up in the evening. Which is also their major vulnerability. Osceolas, the terrain you chase them in is my favorite part.

ChesterCopperpot

I'd be fine to hunt mountain easterns from now till I croak.

turkey stew

Easterns even though I would like to hunt the other species.

greentrout

All I know are Easterns, and that's enough. But man a good Florida Osceola is something that I want to chase after one day.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Tail Feathers

Got to love those hard gobbling and "come in from a mile away" Rios.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!