News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas draw rapidly approaching

Started by nativeks, December 23, 2023, 12:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeks

Neill_Prater

I'm still not especially pleased with this, but, they didn't ask me for my opinion. For reference, I have purchased nonresident hunting license and turkey tags in Kansas every year but one over the past three decades, starting with, if I am not mistaken, the first year nonresidents were allowed to hunt.   
                                                          I would personally have rather seen them go to a one bird statewide limit, make baiting illegal and give it a couple of years to see how that played out, but, what do I know?

I do not like the idea of having to apply for a specific unit. If they feel there's too much pressure and need to reduce hunter numbers by going to a quota system, fine, but let a guy hunt wherever he wants. My hunts there in the last dozen years or so have often been planned around the time I had available to hunt. I've hunted areas a 2 hour drive from the house, and I have hunted areas 6 hours away.

I also wish they would release the quotas they are going to allow in each unit, but it is starting to look like we're going to have to wait until January 9 to know anything. Given that Kansas was late to the party with regards to mandatory checking, I don't have a clue as to how they are making that determination, but I am sure they have it figured out.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

nativeks

These were the numbers they put out
Unit 1 (Northwest)- 700
Unit 2 (Northcentral)- 2400
Unit 3 (Northeast)- 2800
Unit 5 (southcentral)- 900
Unit 6 (southeast)- 2900

slave601

Man this sucks so bad now. Me and a good friend have been traveling together for a few seasons now and it's been some good times hunting Kansas along with other states. Now we gotta hope we both get drawn to keep our yearly tradition alive. Has anyone seen where it will be a specific dates along with the specific units?
"thinnin the flock"

jhoward11

Man, I hope this doesn't catch on everywhere. Headed to Kansas again this year. (MAYBE)!

Badger

You are right {maybe}.  This will be my 14 year if I get draw.

deerhunt1988

Best way we can prevent this from continuing to happen across the nation is to NOT LIKE and NOT SUBSCRIBE and NOT FOLLOW the modern day market hunters. When travel turkey hunting became "cool" thanks to social media, non-resident restrictions followed quickly thereafter. And unfortunately there will be more states with NR restrictions in the future.

nativeks

Quote from: slave601 on December 29, 2023, 08:44:25 AM
Man this sucks so bad now. Me and a good friend have been traveling together for a few seasons now and it's been some good times hunting Kansas along with other states. Now we gotta hope we both get drawn to keep our yearly tradition alive. Has anyone seen where it will be a specific dates along with the specific units?
Dates will be the regular season dates. You will have to pick a unit.

Neill_Prater

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on December 29, 2023, 03:43:08 PM
Best way we can prevent this from continuing to happen across the nation is to NOT LIKE and NOT SUBSCRIBE and NOT FOLLOW the modern day market hunters. When travel turkey hunting became "cool" thanks to social media, non-resident restrictions followed quickly thereafter. And unfortunately there will be more states with NR restrictions in the future.
Perhaps, but we all need to remember people hunted before the Internet, and traveled to other states to do so on a regular basis. Most were doing so legally and responsibly, but not all. Same with resident hunters . Poachers and game hogs existed when I was a kid growing up, so it's not an entirely new phenomenon.

In my opinion, Kansas, like many other states where politicians have a hand in regulating things they know little or nothing about, has been slow to react to a decline in bird populations and an increase in hunting pressure and are now trying to play catch up.

Neill_Prater

Quote from: nativeks on December 24, 2023, 01:34:26 PM
These were the numbers they put out
Unit 1 (Northwest)- 700
Unit 2 (Northcentral)- 2400
Unit 3 (Northeast)- 2800
Unit 5 (southcentral)- 900
Unit 6 (southeast)- 2900
Thanks for posting this. I couldn't find the numbers on their website.

slave601

Quote from: nativeks on December 30, 2023, 12:12:07 PM
I was meaning specific dates as in if you get drawn for this unit you only get to hunt like lets says a certain week. In Mississippi when you get drawn for a wma you hav to choose the dates that are available like say March 15-18th
"thinnin the flock"

nativeks

Quote from: slave601 on December 31, 2023, 08:47:30 AM
Quote from: nativeks on December 30, 2023, 12:12:07 PM
I was meaning specific dates as in if you get drawn for this unit you only get to hunt like lets says a certain week. In Mississippi when you get drawn for a wma you hav to choose the dates that are available like say March 15-18th
I know what you meant and thats why I said normal season dates.

We have been slow to react to pressure. NR waterfowlers will be regulated in 24-25 season as well. Those numbers have exploded to the point I have given up waterfowl hunting.

nativeks

They said demand has already exceeded supply in unit 3.

Hook hanger

Did I read it correctly that nonresident youth have to draw also?

slave601

So yesterday was the last day to put in for the draw. I wonder when the results will be sent out???
"thinnin the flock"