Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot my first turkey last spring and still feel bad about it.

Started by Brillo, December 10, 2023, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brillo

I still love turkey hunting even though I have never shot one on my own.  Last spring a close acquaintance who is an accomplished turkey hunter and all around likeable guy offered to help me get a bird.  I really appreciate this young man and was curious so I agreed to go with him.  I basically followed him around to places he had hunting privileges  and knew there were birds.  He did everything except when it was time to shoot.  We had set up on some birds that were in a field.  We were in woods at the edge and I was hiding behind a tree with no view of the birds.  He called them up to us and when they were at about 20 yards he told me to step out and shoot.  It was a flock of about a dozen and there were turkeys scrambling every which way,.  I picked out a red head that was clear and running to my left and shot.  It was quick and then over.  I had shot a jake though there was a tom in the group that I did not see.  That is the story of my first turkey.  It may take me several more years to get the next or I may never get another but it will be a bird that I hunt and call in.  I don't care about killing.  I love the hunt.  That experience was not hunting and left me feeling down.  If you are struggling to get your first bird maybe my experience will help you persist.

Kylongspur88

Congratulations on your jake. I don't think there's anything to feel bad about there. Somebody got you on some birds and you harvested a legal bird and didn't wound it or miss. I've been turkey hunting since 1997 and have my fair share of screwups, but again I don't think there's anything to feel bad about with your story. If you want to hold out for a gobbler next that's your call. I'm my honest opinion I think as a brand new turkey hunter it would benefit you to hunt and kill as many legal birds as you can. Experience is the best teacher and each encounter will give you more skills and confidence whether that be a jake or 3 1/2 year old Tom.

Dougas

Hunting with an experienced hunter who has access to privet property is very much turkey hunting. Turkey shooting is when a guy at work offers to take you "out turkey hunting" and you sit on his front porch and shoot them as they come up to you and brush against your leg.

mcw3734

Thanks for sharing your experience Brillo. I honestly don't think there is anything to feel bad about. Actually, I think it's a good thing that you had the awareness in a hectic moment to pick out a legal bird and make a one-shot, clean kill. I agree with Kentucky Longspur, experience is the best teacher and I would argue that was a good experience for you to build on.

You mentioned twice that you love turkey hunting itself. That's huge to becoming a successful turkey (or deer, or elk) hunter. If you enjoy the 'work' part of it; the scouting, knocking on doors, practice calling, learning from others, and getting out there every moment you can... then you WILL be successful in killing a longbeard through your own decision making and calling.

squidd

I'm sure your buddy was tickled pink that you bagged your first turkey, an accomplishment for him as well!! 

Even though it was a Jake, there are still many things you can do with your bird.  Like, make a wingbone call, arrow fletching, feathers for tying flies, make a fan (I still do for any Jakes I shoot) and even eat it!!

Brillo

Thanks for the encouragement.  It is good to get another perspective that is more positive.  No doubt my friend sacrificed an entire morning to help me and I did learn from him so that is all good.  Plus, in a backhanded way it might be good that it was a jake and not a tom so I can still look forward to accomplishing that on my own. 

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Brillo on December 10, 2023, 09:59:01 PM
Thanks for the encouragement.  It is good to get another perspective that is more positive.  No doubt my friend sacrificed an entire morning to help me and I did learn from him so that is all good.  Plus, in a backhanded way it might be good that it was a jake and not a tom so I can still look forward to accomplishing that on my own.
It wasnt bushwacking or anything like that so i wouldnt feel bad...
I've always had a rule i wont shoot a jake in the spring, period, or a turkey that i dont feel i called in,but thats just my rule for me. If people hunt legal& are having fun enjoying the great outdoors thats what its all about in my eyes...

GobbleNut

Brillo, as I recall, you have started a number of great posts asking good questions in your effort to learn to spring gobbler hunt.  Although I agree with the others that you have nothing to feel bad about, I am personally glad that you had some misgivings about your first successful hunt.  It seems to me that you already realize that the hunting experience is more than just pulling the trigger.  In my opinion, that is a good thing.

On a more positive note, it sounds like you were able to get a glimpse of how to go about hunting gobblers in the spring in terms of the approach taken, and the tactics used both in positioning and calling.  Sounds like you got some valuable lessons...in more ways than one.   :) :icon_thumright:

Tom007

The experience you outlined has happened to most of us. Multiple birds coming in can get "chaotic" to say the least. The fact you had a clean harvest on a male turkey makes your hunt a success. Your love for the hunt itself is not a bad thing. I myself do get moments after I harvest a gobbler, especially after a few days of pursuing him knowing I can never chase him again. Keep enjoying your love for the hunt and the sport itself. Whatever quarry you choose to harvest lies solely on your decision in the moment. You'll find that that alone will lead to many years of enjoyment in the spring woods. Good luck!
"Solo hunter"

Dougas

My first turkey was gobbling in a field out of sight. I followed the cat road to the field and about 2/3 of the way there I was going around a huge tree as the road made a 90 degree turn around the tree with the tree to my left, he was coming around the tree with the tree to his right. We bumped into each other at about 5 feet distance and I shot him, a jake with a 3.5 inch beard and 3/4" spurs, in the back of the head at about 10 feet on a dead run away from me. I was spring bear hunting and had my shotgun in the truck just in case I saw a turkey.

The point of this story is that even though this wasn't even a turkey hunt and it lasted about 15 minutes, It still was a turkey experience and my first bird. I learned many lessons from that one experience that I could incorporate into turkey hunting later on. Since then, I have taken turkeys on "easy hunts" and on "epic hunts" and I have walked away with valuable experiences from all of them.

This hunt that you did, was an experience that you can use to build on. Each experience no matter how insignificant it may seem, will contain a nugget that you can use as you build a successful turkey hunting career.

Tail Feathers

Don't feel too bad about that jake.  You set out to take a bird and did. 
But obviously you know there is more to turkey hunting than what you experienced.  The absolute thrill of a gobbler working in to your calling is worth the time and effort it takes to make it happen.  Practice your calling, Do all the scouting you can and go enjoy the spring this year.  I recommend a video called "So You Want To Be A Turkey Hunter".  It's a great video for those just starting.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

Turkey hunting is learning from mistakes you may have made in the pass, it has happen to all of use so just keep trying and learning from your mistakes and one day it will all come together for you in the future ... Good luck this Spring ....

jhoward11

Hunting, The practice of seeking, Pursuing, Capturing, or killing wildlife. By your own story, you went hunting! If you think your hunt is always going to turn out the way you want it to, you will have a long miserable hunting life. You sought out the birds, pursued them and killed one. Sounds like a successful hunt to me. Congrats!

g8rvet

It being a jake is meaningless, especially as your first bird.  Most turkey hunters I know are not "trophy" guys or gals.  For most of the hardcore hunters, the bird that plays the game is the trophy.  I have twice shot the lesser beard of multiple birds I called in because that bird played the game (boss bird, gobbling and strutting, etc).  My son in law shot his third bird ever this year that I called in for him and it came in gobbling and strutting.  I told him it was a jake and I chose not to shoot it, but he should.  He felt a little bad and I said not to.  The bird played the game.  He also got to see me chose to let one go so he learned that as he has taken more, it is less about the shot.  Play by your own rules, whatever they may be and you will enjoy it moregoing forward. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Zobo

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 11, 2023, 12:03:42 AM
Brillo, as I recall, you have started a number of great posts asking good questions in your effort to learn to spring gobbler hunt.  Although I agree with the others that you have nothing to feel bad about, I am personally glad that you had some misgivings about your first successful hunt.  It seems to me that you already realize that the hunting experience is more than just pulling the trigger.  In my opinion, that is a good thing.

On a more positive note, it sounds like you were able to get a glimpse of how to go about hunting gobblers in the spring in terms of the approach taken, and the tactics used both in positioning and calling.  Sounds like you got some valuable lessons...in more ways than one.   :) :icon_thumright:

Once again Gobblenut , exactly how I feel, articulately expressed.
    Brillo, for you, your first really meaningful turkey has to be on your own terms, shooting a Jake has nothing to do with the negativity you're feeling. You were a spectator in the hunt, and that's not what you want. But remember you have to learn somehow, keep at it, your day will come
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14