OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How is your fall season going?

Started by YoungGobbler, October 03, 2023, 08:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Finally got the little dog her 1st water retrieve. She's had bad kidneys since birth and there no telling when they'll give out on her. The special diet has been doing well so far if I can keep her eating it. My main goal was to get here on some ducks before her health starts to slide. She's got one under her belt hopefully I can put her on some more next weekend. The ringnecks are moving in.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Dougas

Thanks everyone. I will post pics when I mount it.

Dougas

I became a taxidermist because I didn't want to pay a ton of money to have mounts on my wall, when I could get paid to do my mounts and others mounts. Little did I know at the time, that once your in business, your personal mounts sit in a freezer while every one else's mounts were getting done during my 8 month turn around. I never had time to do my own, so when I retired, my mounts were my only priorities. I also took the time to learn birds for myself, since I never did birds or fish.

Good luck to everyone this fall!

NCL

Paul, nice picture. Have not hunted in the Fall in several years, just chase steelhead

Tom007

Precious moment...first retrieve! Congrats...
"Solo hunter"

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Dougas on October 22, 2023, 08:37:17 PM
I became a taxidermist because I didn't want to pay a ton of money to have mounts on my wall, when I could get paid to do my mounts and others mounts. Little did I know at the time, that once your in business, your personal mounts sit in a freezer while every one else's mounts were getting done during my 8 month turn around. I never had time to do my own, so when I retired, my mounts were my only priorities. I also took the time to learn birds for myself, since I never did birds or fish.

Good luck to everyone this fall!
Same thing when you are in anykind of business... Clients first, then... No more time for you  :toothy12:

Paulmyr

Quote from: Tom007 on October 23, 2023, 12:24:19 PM

Thanks. It was a pretty big deal to me after her diagnosis last fall. The way the Vets were talking she wasn't supposed to make it this long. Feeding her has been a chore as she turns her nose up at times to her special diet. I can't get any weight on her. Gonna be chilly this weekend so we'll see how she fares. I'll have to bring an old jacket along for her to curl up in when times get slow.

The big dog on the other hand could stand to lose a few pounds. She's been getting her nose into the little dogs food when she don't finish it up.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tom007

Quote from: Paulmyr on October 23, 2023, 05:54:59 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on October 23, 2023, 12:24:19 PM

Thanks. It was a pretty big deal to me after her diagnosis last fall. The way the Vets were talking she wasn't supposed to make it this long. Feeding her has been a chore as she turns her nose up at times to her special diet. I can't get any weight on her. Gonna be chilly this weekend so we'll see how she fares. I'll have to bring an old jacket along for her to curl up in when times get slow.

The big dog on the other hand could stand to lose a few pounds. She's been getting her nose into the little dogs food when she don't finish it up.

Good luck my friend.........
"Solo hunter"

Muzzy61

I don't fall turkey hunt, but have been encouraged by what I'm seeing as I deer hunt.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Brinkcalls

Honestly my local birds that have been at my
Farm all fall have kinda disappeared. They've dispersed toward actual ag land I'm sure. Come spring it's gonna be good. Especially the hatch we've had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Muzzy61 on October 25, 2023, 08:41:38 AM
I don't fall turkey hunt, but have been encouraged by what I'm seeing as I deer hunt.
:icon_thumright: Pre rut and cold temps are making them moove a little more. I will bait and see cam tomorrow. Hope they did not missed too much bait

Dougas

Filled my last tag on Wednesday. I applied for a doe tag and got it after years of applying for it.

Dougas

First time in recent memory that I filled all of my tags for the year.

eggshell

This  is by far the worse fall of hunting and fishiing I can remember, maybe ever for my adult life. It is like all my turkey flocks suddenly evaporated. I have hunted the family properties (around 1200 acres of prime turkey habitat) and only seen 4 lone hens. Typically these properties hold 50 to 75 birds in the fall. Now there are not even any scratchings. Last spring I indentified 6-8 adult gobblers and 19 jakes. I am officially concerned. One thought is that they have all left to sit on bait sites put out by deer hunters. Two different deer hunters have shown me pictures of 30-40 birds on their feeders. We do not allow baiting on any of our lands. So maybe the neighbors have sucked all the wildlife off to easy dinners. I hope this is the case. So I have pretty much given up on filling a fall tag. I have never eaten tag soup for my fall tag and I don't think I'll like it. I could hunt public, but I don't feel like getting cussed out and threatened by deer hunters. Public land deer hunters around here are pretty much categorically arse holes. Most are out of state and only here for a few days, so they think any disturbance is a ruining their chance at a trophy buck. If you think I am exaggerating, I am not. I have been threatened several times and actually shot once....you all know that story. I appologize to those of you who are sportsmen and deer hunters, but I have valid reason to feel the way I do.
I wish they'd out law all baiting, I think it spreads disease and bad grain left out to mold is dangerous to animal health.

Oh yeah the fishing sucks too.