turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How is your fall season going?

Started by YoungGobbler, October 03, 2023, 08:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeybutt

Those same 15 birds came by me again last night! Who knows what the 28th might bring.

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Dougas on October 05, 2023, 11:22:03 PM
Quote from: YoungGobbler on October 04, 2023, 09:38:07 PM
Quote from: Dougas on October 04, 2023, 07:44:43 PM
Tagged out on turkeys in September. I have 2 rifle deer tags for the season that starts this Saturday the 7th.
I wish you the best for a second tagged out in a row  ;D

Thank you.
My grandson is hunting with me this year, so, he will hopefully get his first deer.
I wish you some good time with your buddy. Kill or no kill, what will always stay is the time spent togheter and the memories created.

I hunted a lot with my grandfather and it's my first fall hunting without him... Got to say it's different...

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Turkeybutt on October 06, 2023, 02:36:42 AM
Those same 15 birds came by me again last night! Who knows what the 28th might bring.
If they keep passing by your stand... There might not be much left on opening day...  ;D   Just kiddin, no offense

Tail Feathers

Took my grandson bow hunting yesterday.  Only saw two small bucks.  He and I will be heading out soon to hunt pigs this evening.  Seeing way too many on camera at my spots. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dougas

Filled one of my deer tags today. A young Oregon black tail forkie.

Dougas

Filled my cougar tag on Thursday evening. It was an 87 pound 6' 10" female. I was walking up a cat road and came to a fork in the cat road. As stood pondering which way to go. I cought movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a flickering tail of the cougar that was standing facing me at 18 steps. It was following me and I never knew it until I turned around. My scope was on 6 power and when I brought my gun up, its face filled the scope. I aimed for between the eys, but was a little off and shot it in the right eye. It was a little close for comfort.

Dougas

I am found of cougar meat and this one is no exception. Mild flavored.Although I have eaten cougar meat before, I have never seen one until Thursday.

Dougas

I killed the deer about 200 yards from where I killed the cougar. One more deer tag to go.

Turkeybutt

Dougas... I'd day you are doing pretty well for yourself. Wow! A cougar and a deer in one hunt... Congrats.
The cougar looks awesome, are you going to get it mounted?

Tail Feathers ... How did your grandson do on his hunt yesterday.  Was this his first hunt and did he enjoy it and have fun? How about the pig hunt, what happened?

Dougas

Thanks Turkeybutt. Actually, the cougar was on Thursday night. The deer was yesterday on Saturday. Yes, I will mount the cougar. I retired from being a full time taxidermist, so I will mount it. I skinned it out for a rug, So it can be mounted many different ways. I wasn't hunting it, though, so, it was unexpected. Following me that close, maybe it was hunting me.

Turkeybutt

It's great that you are a taxidermist as that will save you a lot of money. I thought about trying my hand at taxidermy some years ago but just never did for whatever reason. Sure would have saved me a lot of money over the years!
A rug would be nice but honestly any cougar mount would be awesome!
I would enjoy seeing some photos when you get done with it. Again Congrats!

Tom007

Congrats on the fine Cougar and Deer. Hope you guys get your Fall birds, good luck!
"Solo hunter"

WV Flopper

Wow, a cougar, that would be awesome! Your story reminds me of the hiker guy that had one follow him for like ten minutes in the trail, while the guy talked to it and it bluff charged many times.

Suck hunted some and killed 7 woodies, that was cool. Getting ready to go steelhead fishing, I am ready for that. By the time I get back it will have frosted and I can shoot some squirrels.

Good luck to all and enjoy the great outdoors, friends, family.

YoungGobbler

Nice huntS Mr. Douglas  :icon_thumright: beautiful photos, thanks for sharing them!

YoungGobbler

Today I went geese hunting with some guys and the guys got 3 and gave me 2 and I got one... So 3 geese to prepare and butcher today. To me that's enough work. It makes some nice meat too.
Next week it's turkey opener and I've seen a few juvenile flocks so I think I will be able to get on some birds...