News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What will be your first hunt this fall?

Started by YoungGobbler, August 30, 2023, 09:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungGobbler

Quote from: nativeks on September 01, 2023, 10:12:59 AM
Brother and I had a good hunt this morning to start the fall off. It exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yess!  :icon_thumright: You guys made a great hunt! Fresh natural meat, a few burnt cartridges... Life is good  :z-guntootsmiley:  Thanks for sharing this pic, don't hesitate to share some more on this post if you have the occasion  :icon_thumright:

eggshell

Well I had to break a promise yesterday. I promised ms. Browning ( my shotgun )I would take her dove hunting and let her  kill some doves. All the fields that I know of that actually have a good dove hunt are on local WMA and open hunts. This is one time I wish it was a limited draw. The local WMA has 5 dove fields and when I arrived 1.5 hours before daylight there were 12-15 cars in each lot. By shooting hours the lots were overflowing. I apologized to browning and drove home, she got a ride and that was it. I hunted this WMA for 20 years for doves and could always get a stand, this is by far the worse I have ever seen it. Covid brought a lot of people outdoors and I'm sorry to say this, but I think we are at saturation for hunters to available space/resource . Yet state agencies and federations are still beating the drum for more recruiting. Ohio has some draw dove hunts and next year I will enter the draws, as much as I hate it. At least at the draw hunts you get a chance to have a safe dedicated stand. These idiots on open hunts are scary to be around, they will set up 30 feet from you and shoot over you. In the past it was mostly seasoned dove hunters and most were very respectful of spacing and stand etiquette, not this younger generation.

Meleagris gallopavo

Deer hunting starting mid-October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

eggshell

great picture Paulmyr, looks like the dog has had a few seasons experience.

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Paulmyr on September 02, 2023, 11:11:22 AM
A little luck this morning!
Yess siir  :icon_thumright:  Great picture and a nice hunt. What is this type of duck?

nativeks

Nice mess of bluewings! Not going to be any places to hunt them here this year.

Paulmyr

Quote from: eggshell on September 02, 2023, 02:09:54 PM
great picture Paulmyr, looks like the dog has had a few seasons experience.

That dog is going into her 10th season and can't hear a lick.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

eggshell

It gets tough when our buddies get old Paulmyr, we have a 14 going  on 15 year old lab. He does well for an old dog but he still thinks he's about 8. we have to watch or he gets wound up and his hips go out and he crashes, afraid one of these days a wipe out will do him in. This is my last dog, I can't stand burying them anymore.

Kylongspur88

Possibly some doves this month. I'll start bow hunting deer in October. I'll hunt the fall turkey seasons in October and December.

Zobo

I'm heading to the mountains to "hunt" for a specific type of wild mushroom know as Boletus edulis
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

nativeks

Since it was 101 hit the pond with the dogs. Went 3 for 3. You can see how low my pond is and all the beautiful sunflowers that have prosperee in this extreme drought. My bees are hammering the sunflowers.

310 gauge

Will open up on resident Geese when they move off the City grass and find some County corn or peanuts. Got a good bunch since they stayed in town till the season ended last year. Took over 350 in 2021 so they needed to rebound some.

YoungGobbler

Quote from: 310 gauge on September 03, 2023, 09:10:24 PM
Will open up on resident Geese when they move off the City grass and find some County corn or peanuts. Got a good bunch since they stayed in town till the season ended last year. Took over 350 in 2021 so they needed to rebound some.
350 geese  ;D That's nice  ;D

nativeks

Went 6 for 7 tonight on an hr long hunt with my son. Hoping next year he is shooting and I am just working the dogs.