OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What will be your first hunt this fall?

Started by YoungGobbler, August 30, 2023, 09:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungGobbler

The title says it all... What will be your first hunt this fall? For me it will most probably be grouse hunting around September 20, followed by Moose around october 1st, then maybe deer hunting and certainly fall turkey... Then grouse hunting until 15th of january and hare until 31st of march... What about you?

lunghit

Bowhunting deer starting 10/1. I do not hunt turkey in the fall and no trips planned this year so all my hunting will be with the bow for deer locally.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Tail Feathers

Would love for it to be dove on Sept. 01 but haven't seen a single on in the past week or so.  Probably it will be archery deer on Sept. 30.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

Deer ... I need some frying meat for the freezer ... Beef Steak is too high to buy ...

Turkeybutt

Bow hunting deer!
I get just as excited bow hunt deer as I do shotgun hunting Spring Turkeys.

ChesterCopperpot

I don't know the first thing about it, but I'm planning on trying to figure out Canada geese this year. That September nonmigratory season that so many states have (15 per day, per person, no possession limit) is very enticing. So I've got some decoys and calls and what not and I'm going to try to learn it. Opens up Friday. Give me something to do each September before deer season comes in in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on August 30, 2023, 11:20:08 AM
I don't know the first thing about it, but I'm planning on trying to figure out Canada geese this year. That September nonmigratory season that so many states have (15 per day, per person, no possession limit) is very enticing. So I've got some decoys and calls and what not and I'm going to try to learn it. Opens up Friday. Give me something to do each September before deer season comes in in October.

Used to kill the CRAP outta field geese !!!  It's a BLAST.  My best advice is.........hunt exactly where they were yesterday morning (the morning before you hunt).  Set up with the wind directly at your back and set your spread 75% in front of you.......25% behind you.....with a 25 or so yard diameter "donut hole" right where you are laying.  All goes right, you'll have gooses landing on your head if you don't shoot 'em.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

jhoward11

If that yote shows his face one more time, it will be my first. Otherwise bow/deer. Oct.

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Tom007

NJ, NY deer........Can't wait for November rut!
"Solo hunter"

Badger

I will start bow hunting end of Sept in PA or OH.  I will go back to Ohio end of Oct and move to KS to bow hunt around 2 Nov.  I have a lease and am co-owner of property in Ohio.  I have some really good friends in KS.  I don't plan on hunting turkeys in fall.

Happy

Whatever runs out into the road in front of me next.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on August 30, 2023, 01:30:14 PM
Whatever runs out into the road in front of me next.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Happy, fresh road kill can be mighty tasty...  As long as the buzzards don't find it first ... LOL...  Hey and if you didn't kill it, it's free and cheap meat for the taking ... LOL

Dougas

Turkey, grouse and quail season all start on the first of September for me. I can encounter any of those, so a turkey gun and an upland gun will be with me and I'll go after what makes sense at the time. I have been seeing a lot of quail in the area as well as turkeys.

Blacktailed deer in October and into November. Then Elk in late November. My turkey gun will come along for the ride, just in case. Then turkey and upland birds until I tag out on turkeys or the end of January happens.