News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One more…

Started by Brinkcalls, August 30, 2023, 07:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brinkcalls

One more...
one more morning, one more call, one more gobble, one more shell, one more chance to go again...Man I miss turkey season... it's not just the hunting part. It's all the little things that go into it. Alarms, truck rides, listening to the sound of spring... it could bring a tear to your eye. It's a hard thing to explain. Whether you've done it for a year or 40. If you have that passion for it, it will consume you. I thought I loved deer hunting... but man do I love turkey hunting...

(This is a still shot from a hunt we had last year, my wife was bow hunting so I brought the video cam with)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungGobbler

Greg Massey

After all these years. i still get excited for turkey season. That first spring gobble i hear, will still raise the hair on the back of my neck.. I know the hunt is on after hearing that gobble, I agree it's not all about the kill, it's just enjoying what the good lord has created in those spring gobblers and those beautiful sunrises.

Brinkcalls

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 30, 2023, 10:20:11 AM
After all these years. i still get excited for turkey season. That first spring gobble i hear, will still raise the hair on the back of my neck.. I know the hunt is on after hearing that gobble, I agree it's not all about the kill, it's just enjoying what the good lord has created in those spring gobblers and those beautiful sunrises.
I almost hate scouting to hear gobbles. I want that first one I hear to be on opening morning. It's too special. I just let out a childish giggle when it happens!

Yoder409

I wanna hear it as many times as I can before I push up daisies.

I'm out EVERY spring morning it's fit from about March 1st til season starts 2 months later.  February if I think they'd be hollering.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

jhoward11

Had a fella in the nursing home who loved to turkey hunt, and brought over some videos for him to watch. He said the sound of a gobble brought back lots of old memories on the farm. He passed about 4 months later. Not a gobble goes by, that I don't think of that old boy, and if I could of only got him out of the facility for 1 day to drive around the woods. We all have stories, but that's mine. Gobble Gobble Jake!

Tail Feathers

Great pic and well stated Brink Calls
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Turkeybutt

Great photo but I have a question.  How did your wife do? Did she kill the bird in the photo?

Paulmyr

I wanna know if he got that gobbler through the fence.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Brinkcalls

Quote from: Turkeybutt on August 30, 2023, 02:05:12 PM
Great photo but I have a question.  How did your wife do? Did she kill the bird in the photo?
Had 3 come rolling out. They followed like 10 hens into the cattle yard. No dice that day

She missed one the day before right after my mother in law shot one with a gun. It was beating on it at 30ish yards and I misjudged the yardage on accident. So it was my bad.

Phenomenal spot though. We've killed a lot there.

Dougas

My fall season starts on Friday September 1st. I'll try to get one early and one later in the year. I'll be out there Friday evening!

dirtnap

Nice picture and write up.

TrackeySauresRex

Beautiful! Great message.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

WV Flopper

I am the opposite I guess from a lot of guys.

I think of turkey hunting often, maybe not daily but almost. Computer password reminds me daily when I log in to the intranet. Even though I have to change it ever 3 months. And NO, it can't be repeated.

I do not scout in person. I do not roost birds or attempt too. The first day of season is typically the first day I am in the woods. The exception is if I get to an out of state place before season, I will scout then. Otherwise it's on at daylight!

The first gobble is magical, the last is sadness. I heard one last week here at the house, same place I heard one end of July. They are taunting me.... "They think they beat ME, they don't realize I allowed them to survive."

Nice picture OP.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."