turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fall Turkey Hunting

Started by North Mountain Gear, August 23, 2023, 12:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Mountain Gear

Where is our fall turkey hunters at? I'm interested in seeing some more content about it as there is not much available online. Anyone have a good fall turkey hunting story to tell?

Sir-diealot

No good stories, I've only been at it  for 4 years, only story I can tell is the first year I did it I heard more gobbles in that week and a half Fall season then I heard the entire spring season. Also had a flock of turkey pass by me within 3 ft. I think asked about books I've got a couple though it's not read them just yet I'll have to get back to you when I get on the computer and I'm able to dig them out and I'll give you the titles. Having surgery on my foot September 1st so I won't be Fall turkey hunting this year.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

North Mountain Gear

Wow that sounds like an awesome fall. What state were you hunting at that time? Sorry to hear about your foot, I'm sure you will be getting after it this spring!

Farmboy27

I used to be a diehard fall turkey hunter. I probably looked forward to it more than spring when I was younger. But I slowly got more into archery hunting for deer and would make a midday hunt or 2 a year for turkey. Then when the population really started going south I pretty much gave it up altogether. Fall turkey hunting can be so easy that it's almost unfair if you have a good population of turkeys and you're targeting young birds. And it can be trying to hunt a unicorn if you don't have many birds and you're targeting an adult gobbler!!  It is a fun game and I miss the old days of hunting them in the fall.

Brinkcalls

If I see turkeys, while deer hunting, it's now a turkey hunt. I don't make a point to go out and do it. Should I? Maybe... but I like big bucks

Sir-diealot

Quote from: North Mountain Gear on August 23, 2023, 03:44:26 PM
Wow that sounds like an awesome fall. What state were you hunting at that time? Sorry to hear about your foot, I'm sure you will be getting after it this spring!
I was hunting NY it is the only state I have ever hunted for anything.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Will

I started hunting at a very young age and began with hunting squirrels. A few years later I was allowed to Turkey hunt and this would be my first time hunting by myself. This was a fall hunt and I had no idea what to expect. My family and I never saw birds that morning but we changed locations that afternoon. I'll never forget that sound that I thought was a beagle barking. To my surprise I watched a long beard walking down the hillside towards me yelping. Little did I know I had a hen turkey in front of me that took flight when I shot and missed the gobbler. I was using an old Stevens side by side 12 guage and never used that second shot. I couldn't move as I watched that hen literally fly right over my head. It was the beginning of my obsession and I've hunted every fall.

eggshell

There are several threads on old gobbler about fall hunting. I hunt just as hard in the fall as the spring. You will learn more turkey language in one fall season then 10 years of spring hunting. I target gobblers and if you think they are tough in the spring well, like farmboy said, some days it's like hunting unicorns. That would be only blue unicorns.... I love it.

Hook hanger

Quote from: eggshell on August 24, 2023, 07:46:11 AM
There are several threads on old gobbler about fall hunting. I hunt just as hard in the fall as the spring. You will learn more turkey language in one fall season then 10 years of spring hunting. I target gobblers and if you think they are tough in the spring well, like farmboy said, some days it's like hunting unicorns. That would be only blue unicorns.... I love it.

This is spot on but don't let it discourage you from chasing gobblers in the fall. The sounds a mixed flock in the fall makes will definitely teach you alot. The gobbler fights are a sight to see watching 9 long beards establish thier pecking order infont of you.

Yoder409

For as much as I live and breathe to chase spring birds........ I've relegated fall hunting to the back burner.  If the whitetail rut is lousy or if I arrow a buck, THEN fall turkey hunting is a thing for me.

Back when I did hunt fall birds seriously, I found that finding the birds was the hunt.  A scattered flock of hens and poults became not so much sport anymore.  And, call me weird....... I've only ever shot 2 fall gobblers.  But only because I hate taking one out that didn't come in gobbling and strutting.  I'll purposely spook gobblers when they come to me in the fall so I have one more to hunt in the spring.

I like to add interesting twists if I hunt the fall....... using a special call........using a sentimental gun.......something.......   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

The one book I can find right away is Fall & Winter Turkey Hunter's Handbook
by Steve Hickoff. Again, I have yet to read it.

John Koenig:

quavers59

About 6 Weeks ago or so,I made a large Turkey Dusting Pit up here in New York. I come back once a week to stir the top soil up again. The Big Birds have visited as there is plenty of Turkey Sign. And,I keep the surrounding area free of Limbs, and Branches of all Sizes. 3rd Week in October  is the Fall Opening Day. Hope to bag a Fat Hen or a feisty Jake.

GobbleNut

For me, hunting in the fall has always been about big game...and hunting in the spring has always been about hunting gobbling and strutting longbeards.  Part of the problem for us western hunters (for me, at least) is that there are just way too many game species available that are only hunted in the fall...and they take away the focus on turkeys.  Way back when, I fall-hunted a few years (and killed a few birds) but it just has never held the same thrill for me as the spring gobbler season. 

Quite honestly, I started hunting the spring gobbler season when the season was initiated back in the 1960's only because it was pretty much the only (what was considered to be "big game") hunting available in those days around here.  Never in a million years (to use the cliche) would I have thought or known that spring gobbler hunting would get the grip on me that it has since those early days!  Even though I tried to find the same appeal in fall hunting, I just have never been able to kindle that flame.  Good on those that have found that flame for themselves.  Go get 'em!  :icon_thumright:

Greg Massey

I have only hunted a couple of times in the fall and for myself i really didn't care for it ... I agree with some others i was in the getting ready for deer season mood ....

Now if fall hunting is something you enjoy doing by all means go hunting if you have a fall season... 

Turkeyman

In the fall I'm primarily a deer bow hunter. However, if I do turkey hunt it's generally a "one and done"...as in one day then back to bow.