OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Said goodbye to my dearest friend today

Started by HogBiologist, July 05, 2011, 10:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

Back in the summer of 1993 i met Charlotte. She was a 6 month old Cocker Spaniel / Catahoula Curr mix. She took to me immediately. We were the best of friends. SHe would jump on the dog house and prop up on my shoulders. SHe could sit and shake. Although she has had to stay at my parents since I left back in 03 for work, she has always been my dearest friend. I love her with all my heart. She was 18 1/2 years old now. The vet was shocked at her age. SHe has gone down hill in the last few years. She has suffered 3+ strokes and was blind and almost deaf. My father just could not muster the courage to do what needed to be done. SHe has led a very wonderful life. I have been watching here recently and noticed that she could not eat, walked in circles, and was stoved up in her joints. I hurt for her. I knew she needed to go out with dignity. I discussed it with my mother to take her to the vet. I went by there this afternoon. Dad helped me load her in the truck. I drove her to the vet's and stroked her head as she breathed her last. It was over before the needle was removed. I kissed her goodbye and left. I made back to my parents before I lost it. She will be dearly missed. It hurts to the core, but I know it was the right decision.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

allaboutshooting

That's a very tough decision to have to make but it was the right one. I'm happy for the memories that you have of her.

Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

sugarray

Sure is a tough decision to have to make.  Praying for comfort for you. 

Raymond

savduck

Man, been there and done that several times. Know your pain. Feeling for you, sorry for your loss
Georgia Boy

Cove

So so sorry for your loss. I sitting here looking at my 9.5 year old yellow lab laying asleep in the floor, I dread the day.

WyoHunter

Sorry for your loss. They become best friends and members of the family. I know how you feel as I had to do the same thing three weeks ago. You did the right thing.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

TnTurk

Sorry for the loss of such a loyal friend. You know men try to be strong and without emotion when it comes to things like this, but in reality, it affects us just as much as everyone else involved. There is just something you can't explain about the bond between a man and his dog.

God Bless, Steve

redarrow

R.I.P. Charlotte.My thoughts are with you my Brother. I know the pain all too well.

Tom Foolery

Man, that's always tough to do and tough to read. 

I put mt 11yr old Rottweiler down a couple years ago at Christmas, I still miss seeing her.

ILIKEHEVI-13

There's just not much better than a good ole dog.  I feel your pain buddy.  I have been there a few times myself. 

Basser69

Sorry for your loss. that is always tough

kamski1151

I feel your pain. I lost my buddy Charlie last December. They are family..........

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

4nwtf

That's a tough decision.  Sorry for your loss.

Dbrnmllr

I am sorry for you and your families loss.  Dogs have a place in out hearts that will always belong to them.  I would also like to say thank you on your dogs behalf, when the quality of life is gone it takes a truly strong individual to do the right thing.

gobbler74

Ive lost some close ones myself..Man thats tough..time will make it better, the best medicine is to start another friendship IMO.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"