Turkeys and the 2 mile sniffer

Started by TauntoHawk, July 31, 2023, 09:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

nothing like the smell of chuffa in the morning

tal

eddie234

GobbleGitr

Assuming turkeys can smell based on the cause-effect data you offer is, well, ridiculous

Tail Feathers

Quote from: GobbleGitr on August 01, 2023, 09:42:40 PM
Assuming turkeys can smell based on the cause-effect data you offer is, well, ridiculous
Shhhhh!!!  We're stringing him along... :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Quote from: guesswho on July 31, 2023, 11:41:30 AM
Thanks guys.  The secret is out now.  This sure won't help the declining turkey populations.

Just like my Federal Heavy 7's.......... I sure am glad I stocked up on my Tink's turkey lure while the gettin' was good.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

quavers59

I am buying the new Febreeze " Mist". Deep Woods Off and or Citronella   has scared away even the 2 Year old Gobblers- lol!
  Seriously- even Permanone has a Scent ,I am tired of Sniffing .  But Deer Ticks are Thick around here.

WV Flopper

I wear an absurd amount of "Off" while hunting in the spring. Even after hosing down with Sawyers I stay damp to keep the gnats off me. They drive me crazy!

The Off helps with the gnats, it also alerts most deer from half a mile away and they leave without blowing the woods up before I get there. I am in NO way saying a turkey can't smell, I personally think that is just dumb. BUT, he doesn't mind Sawyers or deep woods off.

BBR12

I also fully believe they can smell whatever scent a seed puts off. I live in an area with very few turkeys and I very seldom get trail cam pictures of them. However it is almost a given if I plant a field I have turkeys show up within a day or two.  I have had it happen too many times over the years to believe otherwise. 
Just this spring in a plot I had not had a turkey picture in months. The day after I broadcast millet there were 7 jakes in the plot all day. That was the only day that I have ever had a picture of them.

jhoward11

If you're in the wood every day all the time, you know what a seeder means or tractor, combine. Don't need a nose to know someone is taking a dump when my bathroom door is closed.

BBR12

Quote from: jhoward11 on August 07, 2023, 02:33:21 PM
If you're in the wood every day all the time, you know what a seeder means or tractor, combine. Don't need a nose to know someone is taking a dump when my bathroom door is closed.

I've also had this happen when i did nothing out of the ordinary but broadcast seed by hand in a small opening. No tractor or combine involved. This is south MS mostly cutover with a few patches of decent woods left. These turkeys aren't in this particlar block of woods all the time. Maybe its coincidence that they happen to find fresh seed on the ground nearly every time I put some out but I don't believe that. I cant smell a deer but a dog can. I can't smell seed but that don't mean a turkey cant.

WV Flopper

Turkeys are Gods to us turkey hunters, we tend to think they are above all, they get habituated to their surroundings! They might be a bird, but they ain't completely stupid.

You get a bear on bait.... You go to feed him, stop the engine, feed, start the engine and leave. He is on the bait or in the process to the bait at that point. May be present while your feeding! Hunted in Maine long enough to see this repeatedly. Do you really think a turkey is much smarter than a deer or bear? I hope you don't.

bwhana

Every single time we cut our white Dutch clover plots (4+ acres) the turkeys will show up within a day and stay until they grow too high. We sometimes mow up to 4x during the season and continue during the summer for poults to be able to reach it.

The thing of note is not what type of equipment is used to cut them, but the over powering sweet smell they produce on a fresh cut that can be smelled from the main road for close to a mile away downwind for days.  Birds may not smell well, but ours have always reacted the same way for over 15 years and it is the smell that drives them. We can go from none on cameras to loaded in just two days after cutting.

The deer will come out instantly and watch us cut and start eating on the opposite side of the field from where we happen to be mowing.  We can make laps without them running off and they will just watch and eat.  If a turkey is in the field when we drive in, they will hug the edge of the field and watch us mow, but don't always leave the field.  I have threatened to use the John Deere mower to ride into the stand during both deer and turkey seasons since they are not afraid of it.

quavers59

Turkeys also absolutely  Love " Onion Seeds" up here in the rich Black Dirt of Orange County,NY. where The Onion is King.
     The many Farms- many of their fields connected  have Turkeys going for the Seeds.

crow

Sitting there on that sack of seeds