turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys and the 2 mile sniffer

Started by TauntoHawk, July 31, 2023, 09:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

You can't convince me that turkeys don't have the best sense of smell on the planet. I do not have a high population of turkeys, they are not a daily observation on trail cam but if I plant so much as a single seed they are there within hours.

I did some throw and mow and radishes into spring planted clover oats and decided to top dress some peas because why not. I barely made it back to the barn before turkeys materialized and camped til dark.

In seriousness how do they have such a knack to show up immediately after planting anything.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GobbleNut

Can't convince me either!  They may not be the best smellers on the planet but they can definitely smell quite well (evidence is those two big holes in their beaks...    :D ) and I have witnessed the same thing you describe.

I will also state quite confidently that I have been in hunting situations where gobblers/turkeys have turned away from coming to me when they got downwind of me (no comments needed from the peanut gallery here   ;D )...and there was no other explanation for them turning back.  (I could relate one particular encounter where there is absolutely no doubt they turned away due to smelling me,...but you can just take my word for it for now...)   ;D

guesswho

Thanks guys.  The secret is out now.  This sure won't help the declining turkey populations.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Never under estimate what a turkey knows and can do ....  Smell ... not so sure, hearing a different story .... LOL.....

g8rvet

Hen tracks all over my fresh mowed field as well.  Lots of seed out there.  Was gonna plant millet for dove but it has been too wet. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 31, 2023, 12:43:28 PM
Never under estimate what a turkey knows and can do ....  Smell ... not so sure, hearing a different story .... LOL.....
They must hear the seeds rattling out of the spreader lol

Next year I'm no tilling the entire month of May, going to get some real good throw and grow corn plots in all my turkey spots.. jk

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Greg Massey

If turkeys could smell, I would never kill one after going to the Mexican Restaurant the night before and hunting the next morning... Sorry I just had to do that ....  :TooFunny: :newmascot:

tal

I wanted to but was cautious... LOL. guesswho we'll apply that scent to crow's flapper dragger.

crow

"Fabreeze" is one of the best kept turkey secrets, easier to find than Dr. Tinks

Tail Feathers

Quote from: crow on July 31, 2023, 04:50:17 PM
"Fabreeze" is one of the best kept turkey secrets, easier to find than Dr. Tinks
I just put a lot of corn in my pockets.  Cover scent only, I swear Mr. Game Warden! :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Howieg

Just put a " ozontics " in your game pouch ,  then they can't smell you ...

quavers59

I still have plenty of Pheasant/Birddog Training Scent in the closet. May have to try this in mid October when Fall Turkey Season begins.

Paulmyr

I thought my Hecs suit took care of that ???
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

EZ