turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hoodless rain jacket?

Started by mcw3734, July 30, 2023, 07:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Need help finding a quality hoodless rain jacket. I'm looking at the high-end hunting clothing brands, but everything looks hooded. Am I missing one?

Also, I'm open to non-traditional hunting brands. For several years when I was salmon fishing in British Columbia I used a kayak jacket, with the rubber-like gasket around the neck and wrists. Worked great for that application, though I wouldn't want to do a whole lot of heavy exertion with it.

Point is I'm looking at all options. Not hung up on it being camouflaged either. Thanks in advance!

Tom007

I have packable Jacket and pants I've had for numerous years made by Browning. It is Bottomland Camo, it does have a hood though. These are Goretex, I have hunted in downpours and I stayed dry. It's the only jacket I ever had that withstands soaking rains. It's packable, lightweight, but keeps you warm due to the Goretex liner. I do not think it's made anymore, but you may find it. I did hear the new Browning rainwear is real good too. Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

BBR12

Don't have a particular one to look at but I would search for waterproof jacket not rain jacket. Most people who want a "rain jacket" want to keep their head dry too. I know over the years though I've had some that were water proof or highly water resistant that didn't have a hood.

Tail Feathers

I'm betting the closest you can find will be one with a hood that will roll up into the collar.  I have a cheapie rain jacket that way.  Mossy Oak brand as I recall.  Decidedly not breathable.  :)
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mcw3734

Quote from: BBR12 on July 30, 2023, 09:40:40 PM
Don't have a particular one to look at but I would search for waterproof jacket not rain jacket. Most people who want a "rain jacket" want to keep their head dry too. I know over the years though I've had some that were water proof or highly water resistant that didn't have a hood.

That's a good idea, I'll try searching for waterproof instead.

Truth is I have a nice hooded rain jacket from Sitka, works great. Just hate having my ears covered up when hunting. Especially turkey hunting!

Paulmyr

I have a number of hoods that zipped off my waterfowl and turkey jackets laying around. I won't buy one unless the hood zips off. I use a filson oil cloth packer hat and now a camo fedora style hat treated with the filson oil finish wax since I lost the packer hat to keep the rain from seeping down my neck
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

sasquatch1

Quote from: mcw3734 on July 30, 2023, 11:39:43 PM
Quote from: BBR12 on July 30, 2023, 09:40:40 PM

That's a good idea, I'll try searching for waterproof instead.

Truth is I have a nice hooded rain jacket from Sitka, works great. Just hate having my ears covered up when hunting. Especially turkey hunting!
Hardly put the hood on, leaving ears exposed and wear a big wide brim water proof boonie hat

This is the only way I've ever stayed dry in rain, even with the hood tied tight, without a big hat water still finds it's way in the hood and down the neck/chest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

joey46

I really don't have an answer but seem to be locked out of most replies.  This was a test.  Good luck in the future.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: joey46 on August 01, 2023, 09:45:31 PM
I really don't have an answer but seem to be locked out of most replies.
You mentioned that on another site, must be some setting on your computer/phone?  I dunno, I haven't seen any I'm locked out of.  Don't know how to lock an individual user out of a thread, never heard of such.

joey46

If I try and add a picture or reply to certain argumentative threads I get a blank screen.  I'll live with it.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: joey46 on August 01, 2023, 09:50:11 PM
If I try and add a picture or reply to certain threads I get a blank screen.  I'll live with it.
If you are using Tapatalk, I've heard they are having weird issues with it.  If not, I'm sorry, I don't have a clue as to why.  I posted pics on this and another forum this week and had zero issues.

Paulmyr

If I try and add a picture or reply to certain threads I get a blank screen.  I'll live with it.

It's happened to me before. I'll be able to see every page in the thread except one and I'll get the blank white screen you've mentioned. Hasn't happened in to me in a while. Couldn't reply to anything until the page flipped with new posts.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

joey46

Quote from: Paulmyr on August 01, 2023, 09:55:00 PM

It's happened to me before. I'll be able to see every page in the thread except one and I'll get the blank white screen you've mentioned. Hasn't happened in to me in a while. Couldn't reply to anything until the page flipped with new posts.
I can read and see everything except pictures if not logged in. If logged in the problem continues.  I'll figure it out eventually. Sorry to have hijacked this thread.

Paulmyr

Quote from: joey46 on August 03, 2023, 08:35:01 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on August 01, 2023, 09:55:00 PM

I can read and see everything except pictures if not logged in. If logged in the problem continues.  I'll figure it out eventually.

It was the same for me. Logged out good to go. Logged in no go. If I remember correctly my problem happened when I tried to post pics from Google storage. I don't do that anymore and haven't had the problem since. I think last time I wanted a pic off Google I emailed it to myself than downloaded it to my phone from email and posted it from there.

joey46

I posted the pictures on another forum within the last 30 minutes as a test (floridaoutdoorforums.com).  No problem.  Will try again here just for fun.  Hope the original poster found a rain jacket. LOL.