OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pondering about turkey hunting

Started by aclawrence, July 17, 2023, 02:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

We're all here because we love the wild Turkey and love hunting them. I also enjoy deer hunting and usually start thinking about bow season and bow hunting whitetails this time of year.  I was out walking this morning and thought to myself "should I make deer hunting my number 1?"  Honestly I don't think I can but here's why I was thinking that way. We'll first here's what I love about turkey hunting:

Springtime- I love being in the woods during the spring.

The weather- the weather is much more enjoyable than sitting in a tree on a 30 degree morning.

The animal- turkeys are so fun to hunt. It's completely different than ambushing deer. The communication with the bird, the calls.

I love seeing the wildlife, the song birds, hearing the whippoorwills, flowers, plants turning green. Turkey as a whole is just as good as it gets. I love hunting by myself or with a friend. 

The only thing I don't like about it is the ridiculous hunting pressure and crowds, the way social media has impacted our public lands. I don't want this to be a thread about that though.  I know social media is impacting probably most hobbies all across the country. Western big game hunters have been dealing with this for years. But.....when deer season rolls around. It's a ghost town compared to turkey season. I see a few trucks at gates but it's not even remotely close. This is one thing I like about deer hunting. I can grab my rifle and go for a walk and cover tons of ground and probably not bump into anyone. I love being in the wilderness and feeling like I'm the only one out there. Sure thats selfish but it's true. I did take a friend who had never been last year and he loved it. He ended up buying a rifle and clothes and all kinds of gear. I have started to learn a lot more about deer hunting and I'm enjoying the chess match. Old deer are smart and honestly harder to kill than a gobbler to me. I will usually end up killing at least a couple turkeys a year. A big buck is almost impossible it seems.

I think as long as I can chase turkeys they will always be number one. Unless the sport gets completely ruined but I pray we can start to save the turkey and the turkey hunting fad will go away. For now I'm going to keep hunting both and have as much fun as I can.  That's what it's all about. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

guesswho

Turkeys have always been my #1.   I still put in as much time and effort as I ever did for deer, but haven't killed one in the last five years, and only one before that the previous five years.   I do have several successful youth deer hunters every year though.   But turkeys still have a strong hold to #1 for me.  I still have the same desire and enthusiasm as I did back in the mid 60's.  I do it my way and will as long as I hunt them, which I hope is several more years.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

I have always enjoyed deer hunting and staying at the hunting cabin with friends and family. We have seen over time kids become men and now they are passing hunting down to their children. With turkey hunting it's a little different because most in my group don't turkey hunt which is fine with me. Turkey hunting will always be my number 1 , just because i enjoy it so much in many ways from using and trying all kinds of calls. I have met some awesome people and call builders on this turkey hunting adventure. Without turkey hunting i wouldn't have probably found this forum and learned near what i know now about hunting these gobblers. The day i have to stop will definitely be a sad day in my life ...

aclawrence

Quote from: guesswho on July 17, 2023, 03:00:28 PM
Turkeys have always been my #1.   I still put in as much time and effort as I ever did for deer, but haven't killed one in the last five years, and only one before that the previous five years.   I do have several successful youth deer hunters every year though.   But turkeys still have a strong hold to #1 for me.  I still have the same desire and enthusiasm as I did back in the mid 60's.  I do it my way and will as long as I hunt them, which I hope is several more years.   
That's awesome you have been hunting turkeys that long. I'm sure you have seen all the ups and downs and have a pile of great stories to share.

Happy

There is no comparison for me. I kill a half dozen or so deer every year. I prefer to do it with a bow but I only do it because I love the meat and it helps to pass the time. I do enjoy tinkering with my bow and building arrows, but quite frankly I ain't into the whole trophy thing. I try to take a decent buck for my area but it don't matter as long as the freezer gets filled. When I pull out the rifle, it's getting real, and deer are gonna die.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Paulmyr

I'm kinda like happy. if I'm not turkey hunting ,I'm just passing time.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

aclawrence

The deer meat is definitely a big bonus for deer hunting. We haven't bought ground beef in years. We usually put 5-6 deer in the freezer every season. That's not really the fun part though. I usually shoot the easiest deer that I can get to the processed as quickly as possible. I shoot those deer for the meat and do the rest of the hunting for fun. I like to get out and hike and explore.

Yoder409

I have 2 serious addictions.......  Gobblers in the spring and mature whitetails with my bow.

I started hunting turkeys in 1978.   I started hunting whitetails with a bow in 1979.  About my 2nd year in, turkey hunting got into my blood and has been pounding through my veins ever since.

If I had to give one of them up....... I'd sure miss my bow in November.  But there'd be absolutely NO hesitation as to which one stays and which one goes.

Never, EVER was it better said than by The Colonel....

I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would, really, rather not. I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion.

Col. Tom Kelly

Tenth Legion
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

2eagles

I hunt deer to feed my family.
I hunt turkeys to hear the gobble.

Hook hanger

Road goats easily take a back seat in my book.

Tail Feathers

Deer don't gobble.   :toothy12:

I've never hunted turkey in the fall.  We don't have a season for it here so I'm free to concentrate of deer.  I certainly enjoy deer hunting, and spend a lot of time out hoping Mr. Big shows up for me each fall.  Thankfully I don't have to choose, I enjoy each in it's season.
But I think, read, practice calling or do something turkey related 365 days a year.  Deer, not as much.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 17, 2023, 08:41:36 PM
Deer don't gobble.   :toothy12:

And, THAT'S why they're a distant 2nd fiddle to Meleagris gallopavo.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WiLL B

I love deer hunting because turkey season isn't open. Deer season is maneuvers Turkey Season is War!

zelmo1

I have hunted and harvested every legal animal in the Northeast, May 3rd 2001 I was born a turkey hunter and all other animals have been in a tie for second. You all know why. Z