OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old Milk Crates In Front Of Trees Tell A Story.

Started by quavers59, July 17, 2023, 07:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Anyone here ever find a old Milk Crate in front of a Tree with a Beautiful view of open/Parklike Hardwoods? I have up here in New York State. Not much anymore- but a good 4 or 5 in different areas in the 1990s and early 2000s.
    There is a Story there no? A few of those Milk Crates seemed weathered and probably  would not hold the weight of a Man 200lbs+
    Do you think a old Turkey Hunter sat there in both the Spring and Fall Turkey Seasons until one year that Man never returned?
   One of these Milk Crates-" Black" still sits on level Ground in front of a wide Tree . The ground then gently descends down a good 70 yards of open Hardwoods to a Long Swamp. I can envision a Turkey Flock walking the open land next to the Swamp.
   One Milk Crate had a few plastic " Ribs" broken. Been sitting there a very long time. That Hunter must have passed on.
  All these Milk Crates were in promising areas with different  Hickory Trees. Pignut,Shagbark-- very common Hickories in my area of New York.
     So-- What Story would you put together if you found a old Milk Crate in front of a Tree in a secluded area of open/Parklike hardwoods?

TrackeySauresRex

Yes there is a story for sure, I've stumbled across a few in my time and always said, it was put there for a reason.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Mountainburd

Same goes for old tree stands.  Did you ever notice when you stumble on an old wooden tree stand in the woods that's half collapsed, that it's always in a good spot? If not, take a look next time. There's usually a terrain feature that funnels deer. 

Tom007

Quote from: Mountainburd on July 17, 2023, 07:53:04 AM
Same goes for old tree stands.  Did you ever notice when you stumble on an old wooden tree stand in the woods that's half collapsed, that it's always in a good spot? If not, take a look next time. There's usually a terrain feature that funnels deer.

My best Tree-stand of all time has an old homemade metal stand behind it that the tree completely grew around it. No doubt, someone enjoyed this spot many many years before me. I'm sure there was some bomber bucks that ventured past it over the years.......
"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

Haven't seen the milk crate thing out here in the west, but the things that always catch my attention are old, rock fire rings in the middle of nowhere.  I often find them far from any current, existing road and ponder who put them there and how long ago they were used...

Cowboy

Good thread here. My Grandpa (1920-2008) was a notorious milk crate hunter. Some of these have been strategically placed for 35+ years or so. I know of 2 or 3 that are still there. He's the one that got our family started hunting these magnificent birds. Most of these milk crates were placed according to travel  of TURKEYS rather than whitetails. However, there is one placed in a little bluff rock draw that I generally will visit at least once a season, deer or fall turkey, to reminisce.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

guesswho

Quote from: quavers59 on July 17, 2023, 07:12:08 AM
So-- What Story would you put together if you found an old Milk Crate in front of a Tree in a secluded area of open/Parklike hardwoods?
A very optimistic Morel hunter left his house with his Wife to go look for mushrooms.  They each carried a milk crate to put their bounty in.   The Wife gave up pretty quick and turned her crate upside down against a big tree and took a break before heading back home.  That was the milk crate closest to the road.  The husband was more determined and continued on.  After searching for a mile or two and not finding any mushrooms he turned his crate upside down against a big tree.  He sat there a while smoking a cigarette or joint while enjoying the view.   When he decided to call it quits he didn't see any sense in carrying that empty milk crate back home since he swore he would never go looking for mushrooms again.  About 200 yards from the road he found his Wife's crate upside down by a big tree.  He once again sat down and smoked a cigarette or joint while enjoying the view.   Once he was well rested he got up and walked the last 200 yards to where his truck was.   His Wife had already taken the truck and went home.  The man was wishing at that point he had brought his wife's crate out with him since it was another two mile walk back home.   He could have used it by turning it upside down by a big tree so he could take a break and smoke a cigarette or joint before continuing his long walk back home empty handed. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

You could take one of those old milk crates and boat cushions and pretty much sit all day in the woods, just enjoying the views and not having to hear the wife nagging about something you didn't do or need to do.... LOL.... Back then we didn't know what a joint was, but we did smoke some grapevine .... LOL....

g8rvet

Off topic, but a cool find for me this year.  I was in middle of a real long loop trying to get ahead of some birds and trying to figure out how to get down in the bottom ahead of them in some real steep terrain (was unsuccessful).  But in our long walk, I looked down and found a tin can opened with a church key.  Intact but pretty rusted.  I stooped to pick it up and we found five more all within about 10 yards.  Wondered when someone had sat down in that exact spot and consumed a 6 pack.  It was pretty much the middle of nowhere today and was likely even more so when the traveler had his "lunch" break. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

aclawrence

I hate finding trash in the woods but do enjoy finding something old or something with a history or story to ponder on.  I imagine the crates attached to a family story are a special place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

I love finding old hunting spots, I have found many buckets and stands that have grown into trees, I always find a spot to hunt near them!

troutfisher13111

Old shot shell casings always make me ponder what had went down there that resulted in a shot fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mspaci

before all these fancy seats I spent alot of time during deer season on a milk crate with a cushion. MIke

Sir-diealot

Makes me think of frontier justice where no log was available. :D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

quavers59

Sir Diealot-- you have been missing from nywoodsandwaters for a long time now??