turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi turkey poachers busted in Illinois, used thermal and rifle

Started by deerhunt1988, July 12, 2023, 07:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/illinois/turkey-poaching-cahokia-canal-illinois/63-0c9fc4cf-77d0-4b98-a5a6-f34a61ea9310

QuoteEDWARDSVILLE, Ill. — Charges were filed Friday against two Mississippi men who are accused of poaching wild turkeys for monetary gain in Illinois.

According to a press release from the Madison County State's Attorney's Office, Tom Haine filed charges -- including felonies -- against Hunter D. Baxter, 28, and Dustin D. Goldsmith, 38, for the unlawful harvest of turkeys in the Cahokia Canal area last year.

Baxter and Goldsmith are both charged with one count of unlawful possession of wild game, which is a Class 4 felony. Baxter and Goldsmith allegedly had a number of turkeys worth more than $3,000, for profit or commercial purposes.

In addition, Baxter faces one count of unlawful use of weapons because he allegedly had an illegal suppressor for a firearm at the time of his arrest, which is a Class 3 felony. He also faces 16 conservation citations -- including eight counts each of unlawful taking of turkey with the aid of thermal imaging and unlawful use of a rifle to take a turkey.

Goldsmith faces an additional 18 conservation citations -- including nine counts each of unlawful taking of turkey during closed hours and unlawful possession of turkey taken illegally.

Bail is set at $50,000 for Baxter and $40,000 for Goldsmith.

State's Attorney Haine provided comment on the alleged turkey-poaching case and said,

"There is no sportsmanship in the type of conduct that is alleged here. We take it seriously when there are egregious violations of the Illinois Wildlife Code, and poachers should know that we are prepared to file felony charges when appropriate. When people violate game laws, it's cheating. It's unfair to all of the ethical hunters who practice good sportsmanship and are good stewards of our natural resources, and whose fees support conservation efforts. The State's Attorney's Office will always strive not only to keep our neighborhoods safe, but also to safeguard the resources of our region and our state."

The charges came after a year-long investigation by the Conservation Police from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Related Articles

Us Mississippi folks are quickly gaining the rep as the worst traveling turkey poachers!

Tom007

There's poachers everywhere, I'm glad they nail some of them, wish they could get them all! They are giving us all a bad name. We just have to keep catching them. Most people recognize they are not hunters, they are outlaws, unfortunately the anti's group them with us.
"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Scum should have their houses searched and additional charges added for every animal in possession taken without a tag. Dont get the thermal charge unless roost shooting?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Turkeybutt

Kudos to the Conservation Police from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.
Way to go!

zelmo1

Good, play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. I hope they get real jail time.Z

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

Good to see that we may have reached a time when poaching is taken seriously and those participating in it are actually given sentences that might act as a deterrent for those considering it in the future.  It has not been that long ago when someone doing something like this would have gotten a slap on the wrist and sent on their merry way. 

An observation:  We have at times mentioned the fact that conservation departments have changed with more and more employees being non-hunters, or otherwise non-consumptive users of wildlife with a "different" attitude about conservation.  Although there are admittedly some down-sides to that, changes like this where poachers are actually being somewhat seriously penalized for their actions are one of the positive sides to that, I personally believe.  It seems to me that those "non-consumptive user" types have an entirely different attitude about poachers than we used to see in the past. 

Greg Massey

Hopefully justice will be served and they get what they deserve. NO plea deal...

jhoward11

Consequences for everything you do! I do find it laughable that the state with the highest murder rate and crime is willing to prosecute at a felony level the killing of animals but not humans. WHAT???

Greg Massey

Quote from: jhoward11 on July 12, 2023, 09:55:58 AM
Consequences for everything you do! I do find it laughable that the state with the highest murder rate and crime is willing to prosecute at a felony level the killing of animals but not humans. WHAT???
X2 I agree with you ...

3bailey3

wchadw

3bailey3

I would say no schooling, not much passed Jr high reading level!

DROCK

Thermal imaging and a rifle?? That doesn't even sound nearly as fun as calling them turkeys in!! Glad they got caught!