OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Good Are You

Started by Turkeybutt, July 09, 2023, 04:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I bet a tss Lance would have resulted in one-shot/no flop kills every time.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Turkeybutt

Happy you might be on to something there!

Turkeybutt

Okay what is it, what did it come off of and what was it used for?

Tail Feathers

Similar to an old gunsight, but the long crossbar wouldn't be on there.  So I'll guess part of an old surveyor's transit.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Turkeybutt

I will give people two more chances to see if anybody comes up with it.

crow

long range aperture sight for the tss bomb tipped WW Greener whale harpoon gun.

note the flip up 2nd peep sight with the larger hole for hunting whales in the dim light of an arctic winter

Turkeybutt

It is a Japanese WWII Arisaka 7.7 MM rifle "antiaircraft sight"
The sight is graduated out to 1,500 meters. However, the addition of two wings that fold down have notches numbered 1, 2, and 3(in hundreds of nautical miles per hour). These are referred to as anti-aircraft sights and were designed to give the "lead" necessary to hit an attacking aircraft while shooting from trenches.

NCL

Turkeybutt,

That is a fascinating explanation and an interesting piece of history. Thank you for sharing

crow

Quote from: NCL on July 24, 2023, 11:12:06 AM
Turkeybutt,

That is a fascinating explanation and an interesting piece of history. Thank you for sharing

His explanation is actually a big mound of bovine gastronities, if you look close you can see where he superglued this sight onto that rifle.

The Greener harpoon gun is the correct answer, I believe Henry Davis even covered this in his book when he described how he attached one to his sxs for deer hunting

Happy

I thought it was for shooting turkeys in a corn trench with a modified choke. The "wings" of the sight are meant to be brackets to cover the trench to show the shot coverage.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tal

Carbide tipped corn trenching shovels never go out of style.

Turkeybutt

OMG It's like dealing with juveniles!
I tried to give you a little history but I see I better keep things simple. You boys are a hoot!

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 24, 2023, 03:46:36 AM
It is a Japanese WWII Arisaka 7.7 MM rifle "antiaircraft sight"
The sight is graduated out to 1,500 meters. However, the addition of two wings that fold down have notches numbered 1, 2, and 3(in hundreds of nautical miles per hour). These are referred to as anti-aircraft sights and were designed to give the "lead" necessary to hit an attacking aircraft while shooting from trenches.
I googled it.  In the photos, the sights had the "wings" straight out to the sides.  Maybe that's the source of confusion. :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

crow

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 24, 2023, 07:31:06 PM
OMG It's like dealing with juveniles!
I tried to give you a little history but I see I better keep things simple. You boys are a hoot!

Hey Man, good thread, I don't care what the rest of this place says about you, keep up the good work.

I was just shooting yesterday and a friend brought along an old Arisaka his dad brought home from the war. It still has the dust cover on it covering the action, which from what he said is supposed to be somewhat rare.

I sent him a couple of pics of the sight you posted.

Turkeybutt

Please! I enjoy a good laugh as much as anybody and the three of you always give me a chuckle or two when reading your remarks.
I know everyone was kidding and I didn't think anything of it, but I had to add some type of rebuttal. I thought it was cleaver of me to call the three of you ( You, Happy and Tal) juveniles. LOL
At the end of the day we here at OG are family.......maybe dysfunctional and somewhat delusional but we are still family!
Your friend who has an Arisaka is correct it is rare to find one with the dust cover as most Japanese soldiers tossed them away.
Did you happen to notice if the rifle still had the chrysanthemum seal still on the top of the receiver?