turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Good Are You

Started by Turkeybutt, July 09, 2023, 04:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

Sorry was away a few day and forgot to check back in on this. It's a   Larding Needle. Chefs attach thin strips of fat to it (usually seasoned and marinated pork fatback) and then run it through very lean cuts of meat before roasting. The technique is called Larding a roast and is not unlike what some bbq cooks do with a flavor injecting syringe. It adds moisture, tenderness and flavor to notoriously lean and difficult to roast cuts of beef, veal, poultry, game etc. And no , I haven't used it on wild turkey but in the right hands I'm sure it could work really well.
Ps:  Barding is a similar technique to Larding, where thin sheets of fatback are sliced and used to cover leaner meats to keep them moist while cooking. I'll bet many of you use this technique when you wrap a backstrap, duck breast or turkey breast meat in bacon!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Turkeybutt

Good to know as that one had me stumped and I would have never given Larding a thought.

aclawrence

Quote from: 3bailey3 on July 11, 2023, 07:19:16 PM
I have had the buckle about 12 years now, you guys made me join a civil war fourm, I was just now accepted to it and going to post it on there, funny the first club I was ever in, where I found the buckle was about 10 miles from the the battle of Raymond, I am now in a club that is 8 miles from the battle of Vicksburg and Sherman and his troops camped there, I have got a metal detector but have only tried it a few times, I got tired of digging beer tabs.
You should watch some of the aquachiggers videos on YouTube. He's a pro at metal detecting civil war stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notsoyoungturk

My grandfather made custom golf clubs.  He made this tool so he could bend the necks on the irons.  It gave him the leverage to set the loft and lie.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Turkeybutt

Pretty cool! That's a Keepsake  for sure.

Turkeybutt

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeybutt

Tom007

The Key to turkey hunting success??
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

Tom007

Great thread Steve....interesting things......
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

I thought some old Railroad worker would have posted the answer.
It is a switch key the C A on it denotes what railroad it came from. I believe that particular key comes from the  Chicago and Alton Railroad. I don't know what it would go for if you were to sell it. I seen them from $50.00 and up and depends on their rarity.
A good example is the South Pacific Coast Railroad car switch key from the 1800's. I seen that selling for $1,000.00 on the internet.

Turkeybutt

What is it? A friend had one of these laying around her house and asked me if I could find out what it was.
I did some looking and I now know what it is, do you?

Paulmyr

If I had to guess I'd say it looks like the tip of a harpoon.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Turkeybutt

Paulmyr you are right. It is a form of harpoon.
Know as a Bomb lance
A bomb lance is a projectile weapon used in whaling to injure and kill the object of the hunt. As the name implies, it explodes once it has embedded itself into a whale.[1] The conditions of whale hunting in the arctic led to the invention of the bomb lance.[2] There, the presence of ice floes provide cover for whales to dive under, making it nearly impossible to execute a hand lance kill before the whale can escape. With bomb lances, a well directed shot assures a quick kill.
Why the woman I knew had this Bomb Lance in her home I'll never know as she passed away soon after she gave it to me to research for her.
Lucky for me it wasn't live as I tossed it in my truck and dropped it on my garage floor a few times before I knew what it was!

It was shot out of a hand held weapon like the one in the photo below.