OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Good Are You

Started by Turkeybutt, July 09, 2023, 04:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: aclawrence on July 09, 2023, 06:17:54 PM
Awesome thread.  What about this thing. I found this in my papas farm a long time ago. My grandparents had passed away and I didn't have anyone that I could ask about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This looks so incredibly familiar but I just can't place it. In my mind I want to say it is from some kind of water grist mill but I do not know that for certain even a little bit.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Quote from: aclawrence on July 09, 2023, 06:17:54 PM
Awesome thread.  What about this thing. I found this in my papas farm a long time ago. My grandparents had passed away and I didn't have anyone that I could ask about it.

Looks very similar to the wheel/crank used to open/close the irrigation weir between canals???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: aclawrence on July 09, 2023, 08:04:07 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on July 09, 2023, 06:55:58 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on July 09, 2023, 06:41:43 PM
Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 09, 2023, 06:36:11 PM
That is very interesting but I have no idea. I'm going to put those photos on my phone and show some of my older Amish friends to see if they have any idea what that is or was used for.
Thanks. It was obviously some kind of wheel off of something farming or gardening related but I'd love to know exactly what if anyone recognizes it. I think someone said something about a corn something or another one time but I can't remember.

I'm not going for the wheel idea, both of them deals sticking out the side aren't centered.  Maybe some type of gear or agitator?
I agree. Gear is what I was thinking I just said wheel.

Being offset like that makes me wonder if it was hand cranked but as I said I was to say it was something to do with a grist miss or a mill of some kind near water but I do not know why.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

crow

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 10, 2023, 06:04:50 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on July 09, 2023, 08:04:07 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on July 09, 2023, 06:55:58 PM
Quote from: aclawrence on July 09, 2023, 06:41:43 PM
Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 09, 2023, 06:36:11 PM
That is very interesting but I have no idea. I'm going to put those photos on my phone and show some of my older Amish friends to see if they have any idea what that is or was used for.
Thanks. It was obviously some kind of wheel off of something farming or gardening related but I'd love to know exactly what if anyone recognizes it. I think someone said something about a corn something or another one time but I can't remember.

I'm not going for the wheel idea, both of them deals sticking out the side aren't centered.  Maybe some type of gear or agitator?
I agree. Gear is what I was thinking I just said wheel.

Being offset like that makes me wonder if it was hand cranked but as I said I was to say it was something to do with a grist miss or a mill of some kind near water but I do not know why.

It's the front wheel from an antique Amish tricycle, the ridges across the face of the wheel are for traction to deal with the slick Lancaster County mud.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on July 10, 2023, 04:22:13 PM

Anyone?  Anyone???  Bueller???

It ain't my day off, but seeing as how you are in the "eye business", I am going to posit that it is an older version of some "eye inspection" apparatus.   ;D

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 11, 2023, 10:52:53 AM

It ain't my day off, but seeing as how you are in the "eye business", I am going to posit that it is an older version of some "eye inspection" apparatus.   ;D
I was thinking part of the thing that blew a air bubble on you eye.

John Koenig:

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 11, 2023, 10:52:53 AM

It is an antique retinoscope...  Small mispelling or mispronounciation turns it into something completely different (i.e. NOT a rectalscope)
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Turkeybutt

Turkeybutt

Did we ever figure out what this was?

Turkeybutt

3bailey3

I have had the buckle about 12 years now, you guys made me join a civil war fourm, I was just now accepted to it and going to post it on there, funny the first club I was ever in, where I found the buckle was about 10 miles from the the battle of Raymond, I am now in a club that is 8 miles from the battle of Vicksburg and Sherman and his troops camped there, I have got a metal detector but have only tried it a few times, I got tired of digging beer tabs.

Paulmyr

I found a sterling silver St Christopher's medallion with my metal detector but haven't seen it since the my woman got her mitts on it and this ring with the United States seal on it. It appears to have been gold plated and has a maroon patina. Looks like a kid was wearing it last as it's cinched pretty small. And of course plenty of can tabs and a hand full of wheat pennies.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Turkeybutt

It's the front wheel from an antique Amish tricycle, the ridges across the face of the wheel are for traction to deal with the slick Lancaster County mud.
[/quote]

Now I wonder what does some city slicker from York County know about Lancaster County Mud.
The mud quality is Lancaster County is so much better due to all the cow manure we spread.

crow

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 12, 2023, 05:00:13 AM

Now I wonder what does some city slicker from York County know about Lancaster County Mud.
The mud quality is Lancaster County is so much better due to all the cow manure we spread.
[/quote]

You Lanc. Co. boys do know how to spread it  :D
I've cleaned enough of your counties mud off of horse hooves to build an adobe house

captpete

VERY cool thread!!!!  I have some old tools that I got from my dad that probably belonged to my grandpa. I wish I had something to post, but what I have are very easily recognizable...hammer, wrenches, brace & bits, wooden folding tape measure, etc.