turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Other things you do?

Started by Sir-diealot, July 08, 2023, 01:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I am a metal head in all ways. Music and I like to build/ rebuild stuff, I was a welder for a long time, but just act like one on the weekends. I also shoot trap competitively, our used to be competitive, lol. I make pot calls and am doing R&D on a mini box call, it will be a while. Z

g8rvet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

3bailey3

Seminole Custom Calls

Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 08, 2023, 01:00:46 AM
So other than hunting what do you enjoy doing? I am not talking about spending time with family or going to church, I mean like your hobbies. Many of you know I am a picture taker (I don't feel I have earned the right to be called a photographer yet) I am a Ham Radio Operator, I collect sports cards (Or did before all the controversy.) and am trying to get some stuff together to start camping again at some level. I would like to hear about and see what you are into other than hunting and fishing.

Two of the French Connection, I still need to get  Rick Martin

This is my Ham Radio HF Rig.

Do hf almost every day in my job with the Marine Corps.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

crow

Very nice looking work g8rvet

Turkeybutt

g8rvet that is some good looking furniture you made. Better than what you see in most furniture stores these days!

WV Ridge Reaper

It started with one..I have 4 now,working on putting one back together now.All are 110s but I have a 69,65 and two 66s

Cut N Run

I like to flintknap, I make stone arrowheads and spearpoints.  I have hunted for ancient stone tools for a long time
& have a decent collection of points that date from as recently as ~1750 to as old as ~11,000 B.C.. As too many of the
fields I used to hunt in got developed or no longer deep plowed for growing tobacco,
I decided to learn how to make stone points myself.  I figured that if ancient man could do it, how hard could it be?
Well, I didn't take into account that ancient man was raised having to learn stone working in order to survive.  They
could gather quality knapping rock from anywhere they chose, which is not the case in today's world.
They also had the luxury of having elders in the tribe to show them how to do it...I did not.This was 25 years before the internet. 
It took me about 3 years to make a properly made replica.  I have done dozens of knapping demonstrations at rock shows,
for archaeologists, the N.C. Wildlife Department on National Hunting & Fishing Day, and even taught knapping at summer classes
at a local college & to private individuals.

I tired hunting turkeys with points I'd made, but never got it done.  I was injured in a car crash 16 years ago
(T-boned by a drunk driver running 70 MPH), which ended my bow shooting career.  I was hired to make a half dozen
hunting points by a local hunter who paid me quite well to do it.  I ended up making him 8 points, so he had a couple
spares to practice with.  It took a long time to balance them out and even out their weights.  He has taken several deer
(2 bucks and a doe with the same point!), and missed a bear with the points I made him.

I have pics of some I made on another computer that I'll add tomorrow.  The pics of the hunting points vanished in a
computer crash about 10 years ago.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Hook hanger

Only other serious hobby I do is fly fishing for trout and catch crappie to eat.

nativeks

Besides the normal stuff of grilling, hunting other things, fishing, etc, I love riding gravel on my bike. I try to do 10 miles a day minimum while the weather is nice. I got sucked into the VFD my brother is the chief of. I have wired in 3 LED lightbars, and a pile of surface mount LEDs since the first of the year. I also wrench on our firetrucks. Had to replace a fan clutch and alternator on our 98 Chevy 3500. We are still waiting to get the new motor dropped in the 2000 F350. I  make alot of calls as well and I am a former career firefighter so they appreciate the trained help. I am also a beekeeper and recently started making Mead.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: g8rvet on July 08, 2023, 12:59:03 PM
I like building things out of wood.  Currently doing a deck for my grandson's above ground pool.  Have benches for my office in my shop that are next on deck.  When we built our house last year, I:
a)made end tables and a coffee table from live edge  pecan that fell from the hurricane Michael.  I sat it to the side and let it sit for over a year before getting it sawn.  It is spalted and very nice looking wood. Also made a cutting board from it and a bench on my front porch.
b) had an eastern red cedar taken out by the same storm.  Had it sawn in a large enough size that I made a mantle for over my fireplace.  Still has the limb edges and has both heart and sap wood.
c) same cedar I made a headboard for our guest room.  This took the most figuring and thinking, but it looks real simple.  It was once I had a plan (I don't have a jointer or a planer). 
d)made a farm table for the house out of yellow pine - stained the top and distress painted the legs.  Came out nice. Made a entry table to match it. 

I also  like to smoke meat.  Ribs and butts are  my favorite.  Gonna try a chuck next.  We will see how it turns out.  Even catered one of my employee's wedding (you talk about stress!).  It came out good though.  Sliced and pulled butt.

Some nice looking creations there bud, you are good at it. I enjoyed what little woodwork I got to do when I was you, lots of fun and prideful in a good way when something you have worked on turns our and works well. My butt is feeling pulled right now, darn sciatic nerve that's what I get for walking around taking pictures today and sitting by damp stone by a waterfall. I will have to reply to everyone else tomorrow, I have to get out of this office chair.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on July 08, 2023, 04:18:28 PM
It started with one..I have 4 now,working on putting one back together now.All are 110s but I have a 69,65 and two 66s

Need any parts ??

I've got a rough 110 or 112 that's complete and another body and possibly a hood laying here.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

NCL

For many years I dug and collected old bottles. As I got older and with no places left to dig I started to lose interest asked my daughter if she was interested in the collection and she was not so sold most. I then took up fly fishing which has become my passion, actually spey casting for steelhead. Fly fishing then creates side hobbies like fly tying. Now that I am getting into Euro nymphing I have a need to create leaders. Other than that sampling fine bourbon is a pursuit I like to engage.

Yoder409

Now that I'm retired, I can pursue all the "other things" than I had very limited windows for when working.

Obvious to many here, I have an affinity for accumulating box calls.

My brother and I operate a small, family Christmas tree farm.

Just the mowing and maintaining here at the house is half a full-time job.

Mowing fields, roads and doing habitat improvement on the family property could be a full-time job if I let it.

Love bowhunting mature whitetails.

Love trapping nest predators.

Like to hunt bourbon on occasion and sip it more often than that.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

guesswho

Chunk-N-Dale dancer at some local retirement homes for widowers. Forum rules prevent me from posting pictures.   It's kind of degrading, but the tips are good. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff