OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Other things you do?

Started by Sir-diealot, July 08, 2023, 01:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage

I restore Old Triumph Motorcycles.

Yoder409

Quote from: guesswho on July 09, 2023, 08:21:34 PM
Forum rules prevent me from posting pictures.   

THANK you, Shannon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:help:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

Quote from: Vintage on July 09, 2023, 08:25:45 PM

Real nice job! Looks great
"Solo hunter"

Tail Feathers

Chunk-N-Dale dancer at some local retirement homes for widowers. Forum rules prevent me from posting pictures.   It's kind of degrading, but the tips are good.
I started at the nursing home but the ladies at the senior citizen center tip better and they can still drive.  You should look into it. :goofball:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

crow

Chunk-N-Dale dancer at some local retirement homes for widowers. Forum rules prevent me from posting pictures.   It's kind of degrading, but the tips are good.

Probably tough keeping a steady rhythm to Perry Como and the big band sound

Sir-diealot

Quote from: zelmo1 on July 08, 2023, 01:03:15 PM
I am a metal head in all ways. Music and I like to build/ rebuild stuff, I was a welder for a long time, but just act like one on the weekends. I also shoot trap competitively, our used to be competitive, lol. I make pot calls and am doing R&D on a mini box call, it will be a while. Z
I never had the eyes for welding, had 5 surgeries on them when I was young, I know there was good money to be made in it at one time back in the 70's-80's though. Only really shot trap with friends but enjoyed running the Sporting Clays trailer for my club for a season though, I really liked shooting the rabbits. Can't wait to see that box call.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Seminole Custom Calls on July 08, 2023, 01:57:17 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on July 08, 2023, 01:00:46 AM
So other than hunting what do you enjoy doing? I am not talking about spending time with family or going to church, I mean like your hobbies. Many of you know I am a picture taker (I don't feel I have earned the right to be called a photographer yet) I am a Ham Radio Operator, I collect sports cards (Or did before all the controversy.) and am trying to get some stuff together to start camping again at some level. I would like to hear about and see what you are into other than hunting and fishing.

This is my Ham Radio HF Rig.
Do hf almost every day in my job with the Marine Corps.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Slightly different frequencies I would imagine but still a lot of fun. I am having problems with a mic right now, hope to get it figured out soon, sounding very muffled, I think it has a bad transmit button on it because I can hear and feel something wrong and everybody says I sound muffled.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on July 08, 2023, 04:18:28 PM
It started with one..I have 4 now,working on putting one back together now.All are 110s but I have a 69,65 and two 66s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have some friends that collect them or did collect them, I THINK they were Massey Ferguson's and I do not recall the other one but had a few different colored lines in a pattern as they emblem. I think it was meant to look like the front of a tractor when they still had 3 wheels. Looks like you put a lot of love into them.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Cut N Run on July 08, 2023, 08:55:55 PM
I like to flintknap, I make stone arrowheads and spearpoints.  I have hunted for ancient stone tools for a long time
& have a decent collection of points that date from as recently as ~1750 to as old as ~11,000 B.C.. As too many of the
fields I used to hunt in got developed or no longer deep plowed for growing tobacco,
I decided to learn how to make stone points myself.  I figured that if ancient man could do it, how hard could it be?
Well, I didn't take into account that ancient man was raised having to learn stone working in order to survive.  They
could gather quality knapping rock from anywhere they chose, which is not the case in today's world.
They also had the luxury of having elders in the tribe to show them how to do it...I did not.This was 25 years before the internet. 
It took me about 3 years to make a properly made replica.  I have done dozens of knapping demonstrations at rock shows,
for archaeologists, the N.C. Wildlife Department on National Hunting & Fishing Day, and even taught knapping at summer classes
at a local college & to private individuals.

I tired hunting turkeys with points I'd made, but never got it done.  I was injured in a car crash 16 years ago
(T-boned by a drunk driver running 70 MPH), which ended my bow shooting career.  I was hired to make a half dozen
hunting points by a local hunter who paid me quite well to do it.  I ended up making him 8 points, so he had a couple
spares to practice with.  It took a long time to balance them out and even out their weights.  He has taken several deer
(2 bucks and a doe with the same point!), and missed a bear with the points I made him.

I have pics of some I made on another computer that I'll add tomorrow.  The pics of the hunting points vanished in a
computer crash about 10 years ago.

Jim
I have always wanted to find an arrow head but never have, the area I live in had many tribes here (Finger Lakes The Iroquois tribes) so it would seem like a area to find them but I never have. My country has been so developed and used for agriculture that the likelihood of finding anything is pretty unlikely. I recently saw or read something about how the nappers would get the stones wet or let them soak for a while so they would work better, something I had not realized before. Neat that your heads have taken game.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Hook hanger on July 08, 2023, 09:43:03 PM
Only other serious hobby I do is fly fishing for trout and catch crappie to eat.
Nothing wrong with that, I have to pick up my license tomorrow, thought I had it but I do not and I am supposed to go out on a boat this week to take some pictures of a falls that can only bee seen from the water but it is supposed to thunderstorm all week so I don't think that will work out.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: nativeks on July 08, 2023, 10:08:23 PM
Besides the normal stuff of grilling, hunting other things, fishing, etc, I love riding gravel on my bike. I try to do 10 miles a day minimum while the weather is nice. I got sucked into the VFD my brother is the chief of. I have wired in 3 LED lightbars, and a pile of surface mount LEDs since the first of the year. I also wrench on our firetrucks. Had to replace a fan clutch and alternator on our 98 Chevy 3500. We are still waiting to get the new motor dropped in the 2000 F350. I  make alot of calls as well and I am a former career firefighter so they appreciate the trained help. I am also a beekeeper and recently started making Mead.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

One of the biggest heartbreaks for me with my last car accident is that I can no longer ride a bike, man I love riding bikes, I could go forever on a bike. I used to take great pride in the fact that I was able to ride up a hill in the area that nobody else could and I got to where I could do it with ease. Not even the Mennonites in the area Could ride up that hill. Me and my GT Timberline, I so miss that bike and the fun we had. I never cared for riding gravel though, I am a walking accident and it seemed to transfer to bikes too. I donned a saying among my friends "Fat man can fly" as I went flying off the bike so often, well maybe not often but when a 300lbs. dude goes flying through the air it makes an impression on both the psyche and the ground he lands on! There was an imprint of my face and glasses in the mud where I wiped out once for quite some time, it even dried that way. Me and tools just don't go hand in hand, I am not good with them at all. I joined the Fireman's Auxiliary here, figured i have had to be taken by ambulance or extricated from vehicles so many times I owed something back but since I can't be a fireman I could do that. I will leave the bees to you, I am allergic to them.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: NCL on July 09, 2023, 01:17:47 PM
For many years I dug and collected old bottles. As I got older and with no places left to dig I started to lose interest asked my daughter if she was interested in the collection and she was not so sold most. I then took up fly fishing which has become my passion, actually spey casting for steelhead. Fly fishing then creates side hobbies like fly tying. Now that I am getting into Euro nymphing I have a need to create leaders. Other than that sampling fine bourbon is a pursuit I like to engage.

My father had several of them when I was growing up. I remember finding an old foundation from a house in the woods of my neighbors and there were all kinds of glass, we took them not realizing they may have sentimental value to the neighbor and my father made us take them all back and put them where we found them. Now that I am older and understand better I am glad he did, it was the right thing to do and we shouldn't have removed them. It is sad when nobody wants the stuff we love when we want to pass them down, I have all these turkey calls and my nephews do not hunt and have no interest in hunting though I tried the best I could from out of state to get them into it. My GF has instructions to list them all here if I die with the help of our friend Jim, I would rather see them sold to people that would want them then to go in the trash barrel.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on July 09, 2023, 07:40:40 PM
Now that I'm retired, I can pursue all the "other things" than I had very limited windows for when working.

Obvious to many here, I have an affinity for accumulating box calls.

My brother and I operate a small, family Christmas tree farm.

Just the mowing and maintaining here at the house is half a full-time job.

Mowing fields, roads and doing habitat improvement on the family property could be a full-time job if I let it.

Love bowhunting mature whitetails.

Love trapping nest predators.

Like to hunt bourbon on occasion and sip it more often than that.
Sounds like a great way to live life to me.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Rumor has it the event takes place outside and they didn't hire you for the dancing, they hired you for the shade. The tips are to help create more shade.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Vintage on July 09, 2023, 08:25:45 PM
I remember my cousin getting a Triumph back in the 80's Man was that a bad move for him in the crowd we hung out in, he got picked on continually about "That damn Limey bike" They all had Harley's or Indian's so something non American was a no-no. He worked on that thing for a long time, if I recall he had a very hard time getting I think it was points for it, but as I said in another reply I am not at all good with tools or mechanical so I can very well have that wrong. Turned out being a nice running and looking bike for him, I can still see him going down the road with his Bible under the seat straps his guitar standing straight up in the air strapped to the sissy bar and his trench coat flying behind him. Pauly is an odd little fellow even to this day. Nice looking bike by the way.

John Koenig: