OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Other things you do?

Started by Sir-diealot, July 08, 2023, 01:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

So other than hunting what do you enjoy doing? I am not talking about spending time with family or going to church, I mean like your hobbies. Many of you know I am a picture taker (I don't feel I have earned the right to be called a photographer yet) I am a Ham Radio Operator, I collect sports cards (Or did before all the controversy.) and am trying to get some stuff together to start camping again at some level. I would like to hear about and see what you are into other than hunting and fishing.

Two of the French Connection, I still need to get  Rick Martin

This is my Ham Radio HF Rig.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Howieg

Cool stuff ,  I collect old archery stuff . Being in peoples attics a lot , I run across a few old recurves etc that people have stored up there . Most folks just give them to me when I ask to buy them . I've got a really nice broad head collection along the way also , over a 100 different heads on display .

Tom007

Great hobbies Steve...nice card collection. I see you have 2 famous Buffalo Sabres, Gilbert Perreault, and Rene' Robert. They played with Richard Martin, the 3 were known as the French Connection. One of the best lines in NHL hockey history. I played hockey all my life, just retired 4 years ago. If I had Rick Martins card, I would send it to you. Nice hobbies there......
"Solo hunter"

Happy

I am a little bit of a gym rat. Workout at least 5-6 times a week. Between that and home improvement projects, vehicle maintenance, killing a half dozen or so deer in the fall and processing them, cutting firewood on my property and my actual job, well I haven't been bored for years. That and being so good-looking is a full-time job in and of itself.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Turkeybutt

Good for you Happy the best thing to do is to stay active.
Quote from: Happy on July 08, 2023, 08:27:09 AM
being so good-looking is a full-time job in and of itself.
Happy I wont say you lie as that is a very strong word and who am I to judge but I will say you might be reckless with the truth! I have to ask, the person who told you that you were "Good Looking" did they have a seeing eye dog and a red and white cane by chance!
:TooFunny:

Happy

They have always said I have the perfect face for radio. . But I still have all my teeth, and in my neck of the woods that already takes you to a 7 out of 10.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

caneman

make custom game calls, (turkey, deer and duck) and do woodburning and woodcarving and collect canes and walking sticks.

Greg Massey

My hobby is aggravating Tom007, Turkeybutt, tal, happy and others on this forum ...  :TooFunny:   Including some of the call builders on the forum... :TooFunny:

Turkeybutt

General consensus shows you are very good at it Greg!

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 08, 2023, 10:00:23 AM
My hobby is aggravating Tom007, Turkeybutt, tal, happy and others on this forum ...  :TooFunny:   Including some of the call builders on the forum... :TooFunny:

We still luv ya though, you keep us all in line......
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

I started collecting Case knives back in the 80's and have some good ones, i.e. Shark tooth, Hammerhead and Mako plus a Sidewinder or two. All new, still in the box. Have a few Case fixed blades as well that I'm proud of. In the last several years I started collecting Barminski knives. Great knife but in the last few years their price as doubled or tripled.
Up until 10 years ago I had some muscle cars, but I sold them all.
Since I have bow hunted for 45 years or so I recently started a broad-head collection both fixed and mechanical broad-heads. Right now this is about the only thing I collect. If anybody has any old, new or used ones laying around and you want to get rid of them let me know.
Here are some photos of the cars I owned and had put away.

Turkeybutt

Another one I redid but I never finished the engine before I gave it to my brother in law.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Howieg on July 08, 2023, 02:50:58 AM
Cool stuff ,  I collect old archery stuff . Being in peoples attics a lot , I run across a few old recurves etc that people have stored up there . Most folks just give them to me when I ask to buy them . I've got a really nice broad head collection along the way also , over a 100 different heads on display .
Thank you. That's neat, I would very much liked to get a Bear Kodiak takedown one day, just because that is what Fred Bear used. Loved reading his stuff and about him when I got into archer as well as Howard Hill, Ishi, Glenn St. Charles and others. Trailing a Bear was a very good one as was a book that was by a gentleman with the last name Ellis though I can't recall the title.

Quote from: Tom007 on July 08, 2023, 07:22:28 AM
Great hobbies Steve...nice card collection. I see you have 2 famous Buffalo Sabres, Gilbert Perreault, and Rene' Robert. They played with Richard Martin, the 3 were known as the French Connection. One of the best lines in NHL hockey history. I played hockey all my life, just retired 4 years ago. If I had Rick Martins card, I would send it to you. Nice hobbies there......
I never learned to skate, was just never around it much. My father played part of a season with the NY Giants as a DT so we were a football family. MY grandfather also played semi-pro football for the local team the Lockport Esso's This is his team championship picture from 1937. He is in the second row and second from the left as you are looking at the photo

Quote from: Happy on July 08, 2023, 08:27:09 AM
I am a little bit of a gym rat. Workout at least 5-6 times a week. Between that and home improvement projects, vehicle maintenance, killing a half dozen or so deer in the fall and processing them, cutting firewood on my property and my actual job, well I haven't been bored for years. That and being so good-looking is a full-time job in and of itself.

I was working out a lot before I blew my shoulder out and then tore my right bicep, I remember the second very well, was in the gym in Kingfisher, OK where my sister lived and was doing some curls and wanted to push to the point of exhaustion and I felt it pop, I knew right away what happened from all the old Muscle and Fitness Magazines I used to read. They could not reattach it so I only have half a bicep on the right side, no more are wresting for me! This may sound strange to you but I truly do miss being able to do firewood, when I was a teenager my father was union construction but in the Winter there would be no jobs so we supplemented our income by delivering firewood. I look back on those times with fond memories now that I am older even though I hated it back then. I wish I were good with tools like you, my friends have a saying though, "Friends don't let Steve play with tools" I am pretty useless with them, I can't even hammer a nail straight. My father could use any tool you handed him.

Quote from: caneman on July 08, 2023, 09:30:40 AM
make custom game calls, (turkey, deer and duck) and do woodburning and woodcarving and collect canes and walking sticks.
I know I have enjoyed the kit calls I have made, even if I did make some mistakes on the last ones I made. There are some nice walking sticks out there, I had one with a coyote leg on it, left it in the back of the truck by mistake and that was that, went back and found it smashed all over the place.

I have often said that if I could get paid for aggravating people I would be a millionaire.

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 08, 2023, 10:18:06 AM
General consensus shows you are very good at it Greg!
lol

Quote from: Tom007 on July 08, 2023, 10:19:22 AM

We still luv ya though, you keep us all in line......

Aww ain't that sweet pa? Quote from a movie, I do not recall which, think it was a Clint Eastwood flick.

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 08, 2023, 10:44:56 AM
I started collecting Case knives back in the 80's and have some good ones, i.e. Shark tooth, Hammerhead and Mako plus a Sidewinder or two. All new, still in the box. Have a few Case fixed blades as well that I'm proud of. In the last several years I started collecting Barminski knives. Great knife but in the last few years their price as doubled or tripled.
Since I have bow hunted for 45 years or so I recently started a broad-head collection both fixed and mechanical broad-heads. Right now this is about the only thing I collect. If anybody has any old, new or used ones laying around and you want to get rid of them let me know.

The El Camino* is one of the very few GM vehicles I have ever actually liked. the 57 Chevy being another. I love my MOPAR's I know Ford had it's version of the El Camino but I do not recall the name, Rancharo maybe? I would love to have a 70 Hemi Cuda convertible but there were not many made, love the GTX (The Elephant) as well. I have been looking at a lot of 30's 40's and 50's cars and trucks lately, so much more style to them than what you see today. The Mennonite I drive for always talks about the old Case Trapper knife he had for skinning and all, I tried looking them up but I do not know what is what because they have so many versions now. I would like to get him one for CHRISTmas this year if I can. I was not familiar with Barminski knives, thought I was but they turned out to be something totally different.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 08, 2023, 10:44:56 AM

Beauties there!
"Solo hunter"

g8rvet

I like building things out of wood.  Currently doing a deck for my grandson's above ground pool.  Have benches for my office in my shop that are next on deck.  When we built our house last year, I:
a)made end tables and a coffee table from live edge  pecan that fell from the hurricane Michael.  I sat it to the side and let it sit for over a year before getting it sawn.  It is spalted and very nice looking wood. Also made a cutting board from it and a bench on my front porch.
b) had an eastern red cedar taken out by the same storm.  Had it sawn in a large enough size that I made a mantle for over my fireplace.  Still has the limb edges and has both heart and sap wood.
c) same cedar I made a headboard for our guest room.  This took the most figuring and thinking, but it looks real simple.  It was once I had a plan (I don't have a jointer or a planer). 
d)made a farm table for the house out of yellow pine - stained the top and distress painted the legs.  Came out nice. Made a entry table to match it. 

I also  like to smoke meat.  Ribs and butts are  my favorite.  Gonna try a chuck next.  We will see how it turns out.  Even catered one of my employee's wedding (you talk about stress!).  It came out good though.  Sliced and pulled butt. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.