OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the off-season without good debate ??

Started by Yoder409, July 07, 2023, 09:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Looking for opinions on a TOTALLY hypothetical scenario.

So, I'm gonna develop a turkey load at my loading bench.  Looking to load 3 1/2" shells with 2 1/2 ounces 19 g/cc TSS #5's or#6's at 1225 fps or so.  Not sure whether for my BPS 10 gauge or my SX2 or SX3 12 gauges.  But that's irrelevant.

Gonna have William at SumToy design me a tube that will maximize the pattern density at 100 yards.  May be a little far for consistent head & neck hits 100% of the time.  But the bigger TSS pellets will definitely anchor a gobbler with a body shot at that distance.

Now......... In PA..........this setup is totally legal.  I could even drop down to TSS #4's if the pattern density was there.

What say ye ??

(Remember......... TOTALLY hypothetical.  But most will see where I am going with this)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tail Feathers

Gold is heavier.  Load up some gold loads (cost should be nearly the same :TooFunny:) and you may get a few more yards.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 07, 2023, 10:38:39 AM
Gold is heavier.  Load up some gold loads (cost should be nearly the same :TooFunny:) and you may get a few more yards.

Too soft.   Won't pattern.  Won't penetrate.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

JeffC

Are you that bored already?? :TooFunny: You need to go find a job... :funnyturkey:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoder409

Quote from: JeffC on July 07, 2023, 12:18:33 PM
Are you that bored already?? :TooFunny: You need to go find a job... :funnyturkey:

I just got RID of one.......   :P

;D
PA elitist since 1979

g8rvet

I think that no matter how you slice it, when the rubber meets the road, a penny saved is a penny earned and you really should consider all angles when thinking outside the box and realize that what goes around comes around and you don't to want to put all your eggs in one basket so their is no sense in crying over spilled milk and every cloud has a silver lining so if you give it 110% when all hell breaks lose it will just be all in a days work.   That's all I have to say about that. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

eggshell

So is this scenaro similar to setting the house on fire just to roast a marshmallow.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on July 07, 2023, 01:00:28 PM
So is this scenaro similar to setting the house on fire just to roast a marshmallow.

Make smores, get it right!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

davisd9

Huge difference in pulling a trigger and hunting a turkey. I see shooting a turkey at 65+ yards the same way I see shooting a bird a guide calls in on a pricey hunt, anyone can squeeze a trigger.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Yoder409

Quote from: davisd9 on July 07, 2023, 01:24:31 PM
Huge difference in pulling a trigger and hunting a turkey. I see shooting a turkey at 65+ yards the same way I see shooting a bird a guide calls in on a pricey hunt, anyone can squeeze a trigger.

You're getting warmer.......   ;)

But.....if it's legal in the state you're hunting........
PA elitist since 1979

davisd9

Quote from: Yoder409 on July 07, 2023, 01:52:42 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on July 07, 2023, 01:24:31 PM

You're getting warmer.......   ;)

But.....if it's legal in the state you're hunting........

To each their own if legal, but that does not mean I have to give them props/respect for an easy feat.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

zelmo1

If you can get it to pattern out well at 250 yards I have a couple spots I won't have to leave the truck, keep me posted . Z

aclawrence

How is TSS 4's legal and I can't shoot a deer with buckshot. This isn't fair so I say you shouldn't be able to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

I am by no means a ballistic expert, but all shotguns have a limited effective killing range, even if the pattern holds dense enough to hit a turkey at the above mentioned distances. It just won't penetrate due to the loss of kinetic energy. Also, there would have to be magnified optics to accurately aim at a turkey at these hypothetical yardages. Again, I know it's hypothetical, this is just my thoughts.....legal or not........I do enjoy the debate here....
"Solo hunter"

Happy

I say use a 22 hornet with a rest off of a lead sled and then ride out on your e bike to pick him up. Don't wanna work too hard and you can brag you got him with lead to all the tss boys.. 

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club