OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Closet Reapers??

Started by jordanz7935, July 01, 2023, 10:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

Sorry to see Joey go, Sir you did add to the conversation many good and understandable points. We are bound to disagree, but usually somewhere in the middle is a good place to settle in. For the sake of clerification; I agree shorter seasons and lower bag limits are coming, but hopefully not sooner than necessary and by the data; I define bad behavior as shooting more than your limit, crippling birds and not trying to recover them, taking risky shots, not identifying your target, putting others at risk, tresspassing, roost shooting, Setting up to cut off another hunter, driving off road and disrespecting the landowner's property and a few more. You assumed wrong if you though blinds, decoys, shot type or loads or shooting jakes is on my list. I don't use those methods, but I might and I am ok with anyone who uses them. They are legal and as long as they are it's fine with me. Now what I am saying if they ever prove they are cause for decline in the flock, then legality should be addressed. I actually think you and I would get along just fine hunting the same farm.

This is why forums are dangerous, there ends up being way to much speculation and misunderstanding. It's so hard to express completely and accurately simple toughts. I don't think it's self rightousness, but concern and discusssion.

arkrem870

All the behavior seen as unethical but legal combined with the social media disease that has infected hunting is directly leading to the loss of hunting opportunity. Especially for the public land hunter. That is fact. Loose lips sink ships. Pimping out a resource for profit shouldn't be celebrated.

Howieg

I hate hearing " if it's legal ". ..
They've made smoking dope legal in some places ....I've witnessed this " legal " ruin many lives and family's .
  The ole saying " stand for something or Fall for anything comes to mind .
If it's legal ??? What a cop out ...

Paulmyr

I been biting my tongue on this one but what I will say is this is an open forum where discussion can be had about controversial subjects. Opinions can voiced and debate can made about what is perceived to be right and wrong with the direction of turkey hunting today. It's a great site and I'm not aware of any other place where these discussions can be had and followed by so many.

There's going to be things said that you don't agree with and might possibly offend you. It may come as a surprise to some but in America you don't have the right too not be offended. You do have the right to your opinion and openly voice it.

If you don't agree with somebody give them your point of view respectfully. I don't see where resorting to name calling and telling people to suck it up furthers your side of the debate.

The "If it's legal" side of this and other debates falls short with me. Your more than welcome to pursue what ever you want within the guidelines of the law. I disagree that I have to like and/or except it. Change doesn't come from excepting things you feel are wrong. I wonder where this nation would be or if it would even be if this thought process held true.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

guesswho

I've never been a fan of the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality.   When the trend is to dumb down things so everybody gets a trophy, versus work at getting better, then we are headed in the wrong direction.   And I'm not just talking about hunting, although it is a good example.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

eggshell

So you mean I didn't really win those trophys they just felt sorry for my sorry arse!  :(

Now I'm depressed

guesswho

Depends what it says on the trophy :D
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

crow

I ain't touching that one

Greg Massey

I did win a few trophies showing horses as a kid ... some of my best memories ....

Kyle_Ott

Turkey hunting was once a venture that required adaptability and skill to consistently fill tags.  The learning curve was steep.  Subjecting oneself to inexplicable failure dozens and dozens of times was requisite for completing it.  It was an honorable endeavor without cheap success.

Turkey hunting today is now easier than ever.  From the guns and TSS, to blinds and ultra life-like decoys, to the technological advantage digital, handheld maps provide it's truly mindblowing.  Combine that with the biological and scientific data hunters (the good ones, at least) now use as factors in their set-up and calling strategies and it's hard to comprehend how far some of you guys in the "if it's legal, it's cool" camp will allow things to go.

The most ironic part of it is watching hunting laws continue to be liberalized to facilitate "opportunity" for folks.  Seeing the most conservative folks in the political spectrum embrace woke, b u l l s h i t tactics is pretty frightening.

At the end of the day, the most skill-less, tactic for killing turkeys is reaping/fanning.  I could give my 7 year old every tool in the world except a fan and he would not be able to go to the woods and kill a gobbbler by himself.  But if I gave him a fan and his .410, I'd give that rascal a 70% chance of being able to kill one (he's already killed more turkeys at 7 than some of the folks reading this post).  And the harsh, undeniable reality is, it's just that damn easy to kill a turkey with a fan. 

We should all be able to agree that during this time of decreased poult production, increased hunting pressure, and record harvests, it should be illegal to employ high percentage tactics.  If turkeys were everywhere and number were increasing, it would be a different conversation.  But that's not where we're at and I think we should all be as vocal and engaged with our respective state DNR's to make this tactic ILLEGAL.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Roost 1

Quote from: Kyle_Ott on July 09, 2023, 08:51:18 PM
Turkey hunting was once a venture that required adaptability and skill to consistently fill tags.  The learning curve was steep.  Subjecting oneself to inexplicable failure dozens and dozens of times was requisite for completing it.  It was an honorable endeavor without cheap success.

Turkey hunting today is now easier than ever.  From the guns and TSS, to blinds and ultra life-like decoys, to the technological advantage digital, handheld maps provide it's truly mindblowing.  Combine that with the biological and scientific data hunters (the good ones, at least) now use as factors in their set-up and calling strategies and it's hard to comprehend how far some of you guys in the "if it's legal, it's cool" camp will allow things to go.

The most ironic part of it is watching hunting laws continue to be liberalized to facilitate "opportunity" for folks.  Seeing the most conservative folks in the political spectrum embrace woke, b u l l s h i t tactics is pretty frightening.

At the end of the day, the most skill-less, tactic for killing turkeys is reaping/fanning.  I could give my 7 year old every tool in the world except a fan and he would not be able to go to the woods and kill a gobbbler by himself.  But if I gave him a fan and his .410, I'd give that rascal a 70% chance of being able to kill one (he's already killed more turkeys at 7 than some of the folks reading this post).  And the harsh, undeniable reality is, it's just that damn easy to kill a turkey with a fan. 

We should all be able to agree that during this time of decreased poult production, increased hunting pressure, and record harvests, it should be illegal to employ high percentage tactics.  If turkeys were everywhere and number were increasing, it would be a different conversation.  But that's not where we're at and I think we should all be as vocal and engaged with our respective state DNR's to make this tactic ILLEGAL.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Another great post!!

joey46

Pfft!  See reply in new post "This Forums Direction".

Ihuntoldschool

Bout as bad as the ones who complain when someone shoots their Strutting decoy and then act like it's the shooters fault. 

joey46

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on July 11, 2023, 03:22:57 PM
Bout as bad as the ones who complain when someone shoots their Strutting decoy and then act like it's the shooters fault.

Is this a serious post?

guesswho

BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff