OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Closet Reapers??

Started by jordanz7935, July 01, 2023, 10:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Haven't watched but I seen that crew on Facebook an awfully lot and they kill a lot of turkeys. Reaping's  not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfowler82

Fanning or reaping whatever they call it is definitely not for me ! I can't even watch the hunting videos when they do it . Seems like a short cut just to fill a tag !

Bedge7767

I tried to watch it but I saw they were sponsored by Mossberg. Tells me all I need to know.
Jim

eggshell

I did not watch it and I will not. Every click legitimizes these guys. Look at youtube and all the outlandish video titles, it not called click bait for nothing. Even if you back out 1 second later they get the hit and hits mean money in the end. In my opinion they have taken it beyond educational and entertaining, they are now prostituting the sport. These kill-for-joy of killing hunt videos are not characteristic of sportsmen/women and I believe are more built on pride and self-adoration.

My apologies if I wrongly categorized anyone, but I can only judge visually and rudimentally from a computer logged into the internet.  However, I have known some of the early video tape guys from before youtube and about half them were self serving tools, the main thing that has changed is the platform, people are still being people.

In my old age I still go to the woods with a couple mouth calls one pot call and 5-7 shells and call my birds into my guns affective range. No blinds, no decoys, no fans. That's the way I like it and I respect those who like to do it other ways. Legal and safe is all I ask of everyone around me. That does not mean I approve of everyone's methods, but it means my opinion really doesn't matter as long as they abide by these two rules. To worry about what someone else is doing beyond that is only letting them steal my peace. Now if it's harmful or unsafe then it's time to lobby for change. I accept that is the intent of this discussion, but please don't feed the beast by clicking on their video.

PalmettoRon

The key point ignoring the debate over fanning or reaping is that this man put himself and this kid potentially in mortal danger or at risk of being blinded and disfigured.

Looking at that video, you can see and hear vehicles cruising by just a few hundred yards away. Obviously the adult has discounted the possibility of a poacher being present. I wonder what could have possibly gone wrong if a poacher heard the gobbling and came up on a "strutter."

This is why this practice may have to be outlawed to protect idiots from themselves and harming others.

Howieg

Putting a young man , or anyone behind a fan for that matter is just poor judgement imo .
But hey , who am I to judge anyone... they jus tryin to get them Facebook likes !!

Zobo

I fall into the I'm not watching crowd. If it's about reaping its not something I'm interested in.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on July 02, 2023, 10:26:18 AM
I fall into the I'm not watching crowd. If it's about reaping its not something I'm interested in.

I'm with you and other like-minded individuals.

If I, personally, had to resort to such "tactics" to kill a gobbler, I'd quit first. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Ranger

Really nice to see the responses here on this subject. Hopefully soon the days of "you're just an elitist trying to tell somebody else how to hunt" and "as long as its legal its OK with me" are soon coming to an end. Its as absurd as putting your son in an 8pt buck suit in November and letting him walk around the WMA, to make excuses for it is worse than a lack of sportsmanship, it's an ignorant endorsement for whats inherently dangerous and could likely lead to an end of the sport altogether.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

RutnNStrutn

Certainly the concerns you guys bring up about fanning/reaping are quite valid. However, on any turkey hunting tactic my take is if it's legal, and you want to use it, then go for it and best of luck to you. Especially for a youth hunt, they need every advantage they can get.
Not saying that I would condone the tactic or would use it myself, but if it's legal, I'm not going to criticize you for doing it.
Sometimes us hunters are our own worst enemies.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

mudhen

Don't really care if a grown human gets just themselves hurt voluntarily...

Just not sure a kid can appreciate the danger...

Hope no kids or their friends are influenced by this until they are old enough to make their own decisions, some of which might be fatal...

Some very negligent turkey hunting related shooting this past season including a fine young kid who shot himself in the head...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

zelmo1

Reaping or fanning isn't for me, I won't hunt that way or teach it. I won't preach , if it's legal you need to think it through for yourself. Just do that, think about all the possible outcomes. Anything that ups the chances of someone getting shot won't be for me .  :blob10 :z-twocents: z

Tom007

One of our forum members hunting buddy got hammered with TSS this season. For privacy reasons, I can't say who. But the moral of this story is the guy shot at him because he saw movement. Do you think a real turkey fan just might be a more realistic target for someone as dangerous as this guy? Food for thought here. Be safe......
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

We're taught in hunter safety at age 11 or 12 not to wear or carry ANYTHING red, white or blue on a turkey hunt because it COULD be mistaken by another hunter as a turkey's head.

But crawl around holding a turkey fan or very realistic facsimile of one is A-OK ??

:z-dizzy:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

dah

Good point Yoder. Everyone involved in a hunting accident looses . So does family and friends . The older I get, the more paranoid I have become . I think because I have seen or heard about so many accidents , not just hunting , how quickly and easy they happen and the destruction left behind . Safety first . Then have fun .