OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you think they hear?

Started by Marc, June 14, 2023, 03:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

How much can a bird hear, and what will alert them to danger?

Whispering?  I know they hear it, and have wondered when hunting with kids and friends how much whispering has made those wary and unseen birds not present?  When hunting with my daughter, I avoid vocalizing anything...  I might tap her and point, but I feel whispering can be deleterous...  Had two birds hang up on her, just after whispering "get ready."

Breathing...  Watched birds break off when a buddy hyperventolated...  Have heard some really heavy breathing from others (probably included in that myself).  Gotta' think they can hear that, and that it could be a make or break situation?

Heartbeat...  Bird just out of range for an hour, with another coming in for a fight, I was thinking "they have to hear my heartbeat right now!"

What other sounds that we make could give warning to a bird?  Eating chips?  Coughing/sneezing?  Farting?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3bailey3

hipp2412

I know they are gifted with telepathy. Many times they have read my mind and I departed the woods empty handed.
Hipp

Greg Massey

I'm just glad they can't smell you like a deer can ... They see and hear extremely well...IMO

Tom007

For sure "The click of your safety". Not only do they have acute hearing, they know within a few feet of where the sound comes from......
"Solo hunter"

callmakerman

I can tell you that if your hunting with a friend or not and you recieve a text with your cell on vibrate. They hear it at 15 yards.

Marc

Quote from: guesswho on June 14, 2023, 03:37:35 PM
They can hear you think.   
That does not affect me at all...  Try to read my thoughts, and all you get is silence....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Yoder409

Quote from: Marc on June 14, 2023, 03:19:45 PM
How much can a bird hear, and what will alert them to danger?

Whispering?  I know they hear it, and have wondered when hunting with kids and friends how much whispering has made those wary and unseen birds not present?  When hunting with my daughter, I avoid vocalizing anything...  I might tap her and point, but I feel whispering can be deleterous...  Had two birds hang up on her, just after whispering "get ready."

Breathing...  Watched birds break off when a buddy hyperventolated...  Have heard some really heavy breathing from others (probably included in that myself).  Gotta' think they can hear that, and that it could be a make or break situation?

Heartbeat...  Bird just out of range for an hour, with another coming in for a fight, I was thinking "they have to hear my heartbeat right now!"

What other sounds that we make could give warning to a bird?  Eating chips?  Coughing/sneezing?  Farting?

What do they hear ???   EVERYTHING !!!!!!

What do they care about ???

Coughing/sneezing is gonna be a deal killer 9.5 times outta 10.  Unless you rip one for the ages....far away.

Breathing ???  No.  Never been a factor in any of my hunts in 44 years.

Heartbeat ???   They ain't THAT good.  Whitetails ain't either.

Whispering ???   Yep.  I'm convinced they can hear it.......as well as low talking.  But, I've sat shoulder to shoulder a BUNCH of times and either whispered or talked very low to the other person and I'm however many and 0 on that.  Never been busted.  EVER. 

Although a turkey can hear you think.........his eyes will be what blows you in almost every time you get busted.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Neill_Prater

This reminds me of something I read years ago that was attributed to Ray Eye. A hunter approached him at a seminar and told Eye that his box call had a slight squeak in the hinge, and he was afraid a gobbler might hear it.

I don't recall all the particulars, but I am thinking the hunter had the call with him and let Eye listen and asked what he thought.

Ray thought for a moment and said, "Well, if he's close enough to hear that, I would probably just shoot him."

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

Pretty sure I had a bird hear me blink last season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: Neill_Prater on June 14, 2023, 08:04:40 PM

Ray thought for a moment and said, "Well, if he's close enough to hear that, I would probably just shoot him."

Yuh huh.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

runngun

We can absolutely get so carried away.  I remember reading recently about someone who was concerned about the reddish tint on his reflex/red dot.  I believe that if he can see that you better be on the trigger because he is way to close!!!
A Friend of mine was talking about me deer hunting with a matte stainless rifle, I told him well he's going to be looking at the END of the barrel which ain't much bigger than .308.
I try not to overthink things!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Yoder409

Quote from: runngun on June 14, 2023, 10:30:40 PM
I remember reading recently about someone who was concerned about the reddish tint on his reflex/red dot.  I believe that if he can see that you better be on the trigger because he is way to close!!!

I don't overthink the killing of turkeys.  Trust me.  I don't.

BUT........... A good many years back, I had MULTIPLE birds coming in HOTT just lock up the brakes at 70-80 yards and just go queer for no apparent reason.  Really started working on my mind.  Only thing I could come up with was the 35mm red/iridium objective lens on my dot sight.  There was a sunshade in the box it came in.  Screwed it in and have not had a single bird hit a brick wall like that since. 

Just sayin'............
PA elitist since 1979

Sir-diealot

There are no farts while hunting, just modified buck grunts. Opening a bottle of aspirin, Tylenol or the such. I am convinced they hear my hair falling out.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."