turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vest on or off when setting up?

Started by Tail Feathers, June 04, 2023, 03:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

A long time back I heard Walter Parrott say at a seminar that he always removes his vest when setting up on a turkey.  He said the vest would keep him from being able to turn as needed and the shoulder straps sometimes interfered with a good shoulder mount.
I remove my vest when setting up for those reasons.  I usually use a chair of some sort and haven't used my vest cushion in years.  The vest would be in the way in a lounger chair.
Who removes the vest and who leaves it on, and why?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

turkeymanjim

Stopped using a vest 3 years ago. Hinders your movement stitting down, gets to hot in late may hunts, and like walter said, not good for gun mount. I use a glenda green satchel.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

RND1983

When I set up, I unbuckle the vest and take it off. I still sit on the seat. If I need to turn left or right, I want nothing to restrict my movement. If I need to advance 20-30 for a better setup, I can do it much quicker if the vest is off. I also take the sling off my gun or tighten it so it can't snag anything.

Greg Massey

Quote from: turkeymanjim on June 04, 2023, 03:12:08 PM
Stopped using a vest 3 years ago. Hinders your movement stitting down, gets to hot in late may hunts, and like walter said, not good for gun mount. I use a glenda green satchel.

X2 ... Satchel ... NO VEST

Tom007

Vest on. Back cushion comfortable, and if I have to move quick, I get up and go. Vest never gets in my way at all....
"Solo hunter"

WV Flopper

Have worn a vest for 30 years and can't say it has limited my mobility any while set up. I do have it unbuckled.

I wear a chest rig later and do like to remove it when set up. That big hump on my chest can impede shouldering and swinging in a gun.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 04, 2023, 03:13:55 PM
Quote from: turkeymanjim on June 04, 2023, 03:12:08 PM

X2 ... Satchel ... NO VEST
I get the heat part, but it seems you are just putting all the weight on one shoulder instead of distributing it over both.  What am I missing?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dtrkyman

Occasionally on a long sit, but I have a minimalist vest, rng200 and don't really notice it.

PalmettoRon

bbcoach

Vest on because I have a vest that has WIDE shoulder straps that Don't interfere with the mounting of my gun.  I use a Chair 99% of the time and the butt pad aids GREATLY with EXTRA back comfort and support for those long sets.  Most of my zippered vest pockets are easily accessible so the only thing that needs to be on the ground beside me is Glenda's Striker Holder. 

3bailey3

guesswho

Back when I used one I usually took it off if time allowed.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Paulmyr

Mine needs to be on and the straps buckled if it's going to work properly for the way I sit in it. It's not really a vest, more like a harness that has zippered pouches and a small pack on it. I don't notice it when I'm moving through the woods.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Cut N Run

Luck counts, good or bad.