turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Electronic turkey call thoughts

Started by PalmettoRon, June 03, 2023, 07:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Certainly not my style.  Infact I don't think I'd want to be part of it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

howl

No different than using a high dollar turkey doll.

The problem I have with all this making it easier to kill gobblers is the government response trends toward lowering limits. They lowered the limit to two where I am. That's barely enough to stay in practice. If it were to go down to just 1 I could hardly take turkey hunting seriously anymore without traveling.

My opinion is turkeys aren't like other game. They won't stand heavy harvest. The rules of the game must make it hard to kill them. No bait. No dolls. No blinds. And now that we've got TSS, nothing bigger than a 20ga. And that's probably too big.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: howl on June 06, 2023, 08:48:42 PM

The problem I have with all this making it easier to kill gobblers is the government response trends toward lowering limits. They lowered the limit to two where I am. That's barely enough to stay in practice. If it were to go down to just 1 I could hardly take turkey hunting seriously anymore without traveling.

My opinion is turkeys aren't like other game. They won't stand heavy harvest. The rules of the game must make it hard to kill them. No bait. No dolls. No blinds. And now that we've got TSS, nothing bigger than a 20ga. And that's probably too big.
Valid points! The all mighty dollar speaks louder than we do when it comes to limits and retail, but we must do what's right for the turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Well, let's not forget the cell phones and maps etc....

Prospector

Gotta go along with you, Howl. All the tech and crutches make it too easy on killas to kill. You know it's weird, but without all that I'm still managing to call up a gobbler " every now and then" ....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Prospector on June 07, 2023, 05:51:02 AM

Gotta go along with you, Howl. All the tech and crutches make it too easy on killas to kill. You know it's weird, but without all that I'm still managing to call up a gobbler " every now and then" ....

For many in today's turkey hunting world of instant gratification, "every now and then" or the fact that you should probably lose more than you win, isn't acceptable.   Heaven forbid one has to walk away on a certain day or invest multiple hunts on a turkey.  We all go the woods to kill a turkey, but too many wannabe killers and not "hunters" these days.  And way too much marketing for personal gain.   

Howieg

The fact that this conversation is even taking place blows my mind .

WildTigerTrout

Zero interest for me even if it were legal here, which it is not.  The fun of turkey hunting is getting him in range with skillful calling.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: callmakerman on June 03, 2023, 07:51:05 PM
Man, you're opening a can of worms here. First, I'll say if a state makes it legal then so be it though in some cases I don't care for it. There's a number of things in today's hunting I don't care for.  Game cameras that send you pics to your cell phone, so you know when your deer is coming. Bow sites that have built in range finders and pouring bags of bate on the ground in front of your stand to lure in and hold deer for you. To name a few. I hunt turkeys because I love playing the game win, lose or draw and using custom made turkey calls brings that enjoyment to a higher level. It may sound a bit snobbish, but I really enjoy using a handmade call that a call maker put their heart and soul into.  I cannot even fathom trying to hunt turkey's using an electronic game call or sneaking closer with a turkey fan in front of me. JMO
Very well said Bill and couldn't agree more buddy

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Guskie

What's the difference in using an electronic caller vs hiring a guide? Seems like a lot of guys here use guides.

Hoytboy247

Never considered using an electronic turkey call and didn't know they made them

crow

Quote from: Guskie on June 07, 2023, 04:32:01 PM
What's the difference in using an electronic caller vs hiring a guide? Seems like a lot of guys here use guides.

a guide is still human

He could trip, fall down and break his call,
sneeze, cough or maybe drink too much the night before

Now a guide with an e-caller, now you got a party

Jfowler82

An e-caller would take all the fun out of it ! If I can't call the turkey in using standard turkey calls then I'd rather not go !

Farmboy27

My son and his friends hunt fox and coyote with both electronic calls and mouth blown calls. He always says that the first week or two of season any idiot can kill them with a foxpro. But he also says that after a week or so in heavy hunted areas, you'd better know how to run a mouth call if you're going to kill anything. I wouldn't doubt it would be the same thing with turkeys.

Marc

Quote from: Guskie on June 07, 2023, 04:32:01 PM
I can think of a number of differences...

*Often a guide will let the client do the calling if requested (I looked into a hunt this year, and that was the case)
*Some people use a guide to learn how to hunt and call.
*In most instances a guide is not utilizing an electronic recording of live birds to call in the bird.  I would be strongly opposed to a guide who did use E-Calling.
*As most guides do NOT use E-callers the hunter is getting to experience the hunt and the experience of calling in a bird.

A guide can be a great way for someone with limited time, or a new hunter to experience a turkey hunt...  More so with some guides than others of course, but it is certainly not the same as using a electronic call with recordings of live birds to hunt.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.