OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Electronic turkey call thoughts

Started by PalmettoRon, June 03, 2023, 07:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kayl

Illegal in WI. Only advantage I can think of would be putting it 45 yards behind you and doing the whole "hen is moving away" thing. I wouldn't, but that's a use case that's not just lazy. ???????????

Wvgobbler

If using an electronic call to kill a gobbler was the only way I could kill one I'd quit hunting and find myself a new hobby.... Turkey hunting to me is about running the calls myself and fooling the turkeys on my own.

Prospector

:drool:
Quote from: Kyle_Ott on June 04, 2023, 01:03:21 PM
It has become extremely easy to harvest a turkey.

On-x allows us to predict where they will roost and allows us to move in on them with precision when the hunt is taking place.

Blinds and decoys allow hunters to hunt them in virtually any location.

TSS allows hunters to shoot them farther than ever.

Fanning and reaping allows children and supposed adult turkey hunters to simply put a fan in front of their face and harvest gobblers at mere feet.

I am so damn sick of hearing the "If it's legal, so be it" nonsense.

At some point, we need to say enough is enough.  This should be sporting.  It should be fair to the turkeys.  We should have their sustainability and interests at the forefront of our considerations instead of what new technological development will make it easier to kill one.

Electronic or motorized anything should not even be a conversation.

Learn how to kill a damn turkey or gtfo of the damn woods.
This is so true. Just what I've been saying. Glad to know at least a few felt this way. Was beginning to think I was all alone ( and I didn't really care, lol). Preach on- I will listen
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

deathfoot

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 03, 2023, 07:56:54 PM
Makes me want to puke.

Indeed.

Just like rifles. But if it's legal and people do it. They have that option.

I just can't do either and be able to sleep.

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 03, 2023, 08:43:31 PM
I know nothing about electronic callers, but I can't imagine how using one of them would give someone an advantage in calling turkeys. 
You are using recorded live turkey calls...  Stick one under a decoy...  Use your phone to decide what calls and when to play them...  Cutting, yelping, and many of those subtle chirps and sounds that are difficult to make...  Any sound that a turkey makes, you have access to with a touch of a button on your phone...  And it will sound like it is coming from your decoy.  Hen, jake, or tom...

It is a short-cut to killing a bird, and bypasses the learning curve of learning about turkey sounds and how to make them.  You get a device with a list of sounds, and what they are, and all you have to do to replicate them perfectly, is press a button.

To me...  This is an example of people wanting to kill a turkey rather than hunt them.  It is NOT fair chase.

This is a perfect example of the argument AGAINST, "if it is legal it is OK."

This is a great example of where hunters should be the stewards of our sport, and the game we hunt.  Actual hunters should be openly and vocally opposed to allowing such devices to be used.  Actual hunters SHOULD NOT STAND FOR THIS.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Marc on June 05, 2023, 10:33:21 AM
I know nothing about electronic callers, but I can't imagine how using one of them would give someone an advantage in calling turkeys. 
You are using recorded live turkey calls...  Stick one under a decoy...  Use your phone to decide what calls and when to play them...  Cutting, yelping, and many of those subtle chirps and sounds that are difficult to make...  Any sound that a turkey makes, you have access to with a touch of a button on your phone...  And it will sound like it is coming from your decoy.  Hen, jake, or tom...

It is a short-cut to killing a bird, and bypasses the learning curve of learning about turkey sounds and how to make them.  You get a device with a list of sounds, and what they are, and all you have to do to replicate them perfectly, is press a button.

To me...  This is an example of people wanting to kill a turkey rather than hunt them.  It is NOT fair chase.

This is a great example of where hunters should be the stewards of our sport, and the game we hunt.  Actual hunters should be openly and vocally opposed to allowing such devices to be used.  Actual hunters SHOULD NOT STAND FOR THIS.
Very well explained and I agree with you wholeheartedly. 
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

jhoward11

Marc, stated "it's not a fair chase". I would agree totally. I think most ethical hunters understand the meaning of Fair Chase. But for some, I would have to define the meaning of ethical..."relating to moral principals' which is standards of right or wrong that a person or group has. These are passed down from family, peers, or society or possibly a hunting group.. If we don't speak up and out, they are learning from society, and I'll just say, " Lord help us all"! Love the hunter, hate the act. Start with 1 hunter and let it snowball from there. Your always going to have a few who would rather go the wrong route. Focus on the one's we can truly help in all ethical forms of hunting. I will not use electronic devices for turkey hunting because I enjoy the Fair Chase!

Prohunter3509

Just my 2 cents
Some places got feeders, decoys, what the heck let them use electronic callers

El Pavo Grande

Should not be legal.   In my opinion, neither should any decoy that creates movement electronically.  At some point, the nonsense has to be addressed.  It's not fair chase, and regardless of "if it's legal", should be no place for it in turkey hunting.  Just more watering down of the sport.  I have sent emails on the decoys to state commissioners concerning the electronic decoys.  I'd suggest anyone opposed should do the same and encourage others to do so as well.   

GobbleNut

Good explanation of the possible expansion of the use of electronic callers, Marc.  Under the circumstances you describe, that would definitely be a "bridge too far" in their use.  When contemplating the use of e-callers, I was thinking of some guy holding a device in his hand and using it to imitate turkey calls basically as a substitute for a "regular" turkey call. 

I have only seen one e-caller in my life, and it was a device which had several buttons on it with the different sounds a turkey might make.  Those sounds were repetitive (same yelp sequence sounding like it was coming from a 1950's transistor radio), and I could/can not imagine anybody thinking that would be preferrable to just learning how to use any one of the manually-operated tools that are at our disposal nowadays. 

Like others have stated, I am in complete agreement that electronic callers should not be legal anywhere,...and especially if the possible scenario you describe was implemented by someone, assuming that kind of technology is actually available (or being contemplated).  Again, though, there are quite a few other tactics used by turkey hunters that I think fall into a similar category. 

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Prospector on June 04, 2023, 07:48:29 PM
:drool:
Quote from: Kyle_Ott on June 04, 2023, 01:03:21 PM
It has become extremely easy to harvest a turkey.

On-x allows us to predict where they will roost and allows us to move in on them with precision when the hunt is taking place.

Blinds and decoys allow hunters to hunt them in virtually any location.

TSS allows hunters to shoot them farther than ever.

Fanning and reaping allows children and supposed adult turkey hunters to simply put a fan in front of their face and harvest gobblers at mere feet.

I am so damn sick of hearing the "If it's legal, so be it" nonsense.

At some point, we need to say enough is enough.  This should be sporting.  It should be fair to the turkeys.  We should have their sustainability and interests at the forefront of our considerations instead of what new technological development will make it easier to kill one.

Electronic or motorized anything should not even be a conversation.

Learn how to kill a damn turkey or gtfo of the damn woods.
This is so true. Just what I've been saying. Glad to know at least a few felt this way. Was beginning to think I was all alone ( and I didn't really care, lol). Preach on- I will listen

To be honest, this is along the lines of how I think.  Sometimes the truth hurts, but it's no less the truth, and should be heard by many now participating in something many of us hold in high regard.  In today's world you just have to be extremely blunt sometimes. 

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 05, 2023, 02:12:26 PM

Good explanation of the possible expansion of the use of electronic callers, Marc.  Under the circumstances you describe, that would definitely be a "bridge too far" in their use.  When contemplating the use of e-callers, I was thinking of some guy holding a device in his hand and using it to imitate turkey calls basically as a substitute for a "regular" turkey call. 

I have only seen one e-caller in my life, and it was a device which had several buttons on it with the different sounds a turkey might make.  Those sounds were repetitive (same yelp sequence sounding like it was coming from a 1950's transistor radio), and I could/can not imagine anybody thinking that would be preferrable to just learning how to use any one of the manually-operated tools that are at our disposal nowadays. 

Like others have stated, I am in complete agreement that electronic callers should not be legal anywhere,...and especially if the possible scenario you describe was implemented by someone, assuming that kind of technology is actually available (or being contemplated).  Again, though, there are quite a few other tactics used by turkey hunters that I think fall into a similar category.

Yes, I think this is something most of us can agree upon.

have not actually seen e-callers for turkeys, but have seen them for crows, coyotes, and geese.

Very realistic sounds recorded from live animals, and you can download and use a variety of sounds from a remote or your phone (with some).

While I understand the use e-callers for depridation killing and pest control, these devices have no place in "hunting" in my opinion.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Lone Star Eastern

Why stop there? Just buy a remote control hen that you can walk around, peck the ground, play a variety of calls, and lay into a breeding position to close the last few yards....

.... There's no fun/skill in that, that's why. We have an instinctual desire as hunters to win the challenge. Same reason there's no satisfaction in beating your toddler by 90 in a pickup game.

There's something God implanted deep within us, and we desire the challenge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

I agree. I'm kind of getting tired of the whole "if it's legal" argument. I agree to let people hunt how they like to hunt but man we have to draw the line somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowboy

Nope. No interest in an electronic caller for turkeys. Same way for me sitting in a blind. Don't want to hunt them like deer. Want to call them in to me. If can't do that, don't want to hunt them.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk