OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Electronic turkey call thoughts

Started by PalmettoRon, June 03, 2023, 07:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

To the tune of Marty Robbin's "Big Iron on His hip"

To the deep dark public forest rode an E-biker one fine day
Hardly spoke to the jakes around him, because he didn't know what to say
No jakes dared to come to his calling, no jakes cared to make a slip
For the YouTuber there among them had an E-Caller on his hip,
E-Caller on His hip.

It was in the early morning when the E-Bike crashed to the ground,
He came stumbling from the darkness loudly cackling all around
He's a Youtube Run and Gunner purred the jakes from their lips
And he's here to do some squealing with the E-Caller on his hip,
E-Caller on his hip

Tnandy

I agree with most folk on here. I don't know how people can call themselves genuine turkey hunters when they hunt over bait, road hunt, etc... The electronic call has absolutely never interested me one bit. Not for me period or any one I hunt with. I would get no satisfaction or feel a sense of accomplishment if I were to take one that way. Thats my thought anyhow. It is indeed an interesting topic you have gotten started lol. It will be interesting to read all the perspectives 

Tnandy

Bahahahahahahaha. Nice tune CROW. I like it, lol lol

Greg Massey

I have NO desire to use electronic type calls... I have better custom calls than any electronic type call... and i know how to use my custom calls ...

PalmettoRon

Thanks for all the responses. I too have zero desire to use an electronic caller regardless if it's legalized in all 49.

It's legal to shoot a Rio off a feeder in TX, but I have no desire to do so any more than if a state were to legalize trench baiting and one could mow down multiple birds.

zelmo1

Not my thing, but if it's legal then you do you, lol. Z

NCL

It is is not legal here so it is a non-issue. With that said use of an E Caller would diminish the experience in my book. If I wanted a turkey that bad I would go to the store and buy one.

Yoder409

Absolutely a "NO !!" for me.  Never, ever.  Legal or not.  I hunt turkeys for the one-on-one interaction.  You don't get that by turning on the FoxPro and waiting.

EXCEPT............ Ocellated hunting.  There's really never been an effective, manual call devised for them.  Some outfitters are using e-callers.  To me......... that would be MUCH preferrable to roost shooting or driving through the jungle and shooting from a Jeep.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

gobrunner

Big NO for me.  Using calls is the fun of hunting turkeys.

eddie234

If I was up for something different I might try it once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Kyle_Ott

It has become extremely easy to harvest a turkey.

On-x allows us to predict where they will roost and allows us to move in on them with precision when the hunt is taking place.

Blinds and decoys allow hunters to hunt them in virtually any location.

TSS allows hunters to shoot them farther than ever.

Fanning and reaping allows children and supposed adult turkey hunters to simply put a fan in front of their face and harvest gobblers at mere feet.

I am so damn sick of hearing the "If it's legal, so be it" nonsense.

At some point, we need to say enough is enough.  This should be sporting.  It should be fair to the turkeys.  We should have their sustainability and interests at the forefront of our considerations instead of what new technological development will make it easier to kill one.

Electronic or motorized anything should not even be a conversation.

Learn how to kill a damn turkey or gtfo of the damn woods. 

Yoder409

Quote from: Kyle_Ott on June 04, 2023, 01:03:21 PM

On-x allows us to predict where they will roost and allows us to move in on them with precision when the hunt is taking place.

Fanning and reaping allows children and supposed adult turkey hunters to simply put a fan in front of their face and harvest gobblers at mere feet.

At some point, we need to say enough is enough.  This should be sporting.  It should be fair to the turkeys.  We should have their sustainability and interests at the forefront of our considerations instead of what new technological development will make it easier to kill one.

You ain't wrong.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

RND1983

Quote from: Kyle_Ott on June 04, 2023, 01:03:21 PM

Extremely well said! Unfortunately, many of the new turkey hunters are learning from complete and total idiots with a "kill at all cost" mentality. I was fortunate to have a father who taught me how to be a woodsman and how to sit to a turkey the right way. I wasn't taught to drive around, find one strutting in a pasture, grab the fan, and go after him. I was taught that it's ok to get your teeth kicked in by the turkey. Just learn from it.

It sickens me to see the direction the turkey industry has gone. I grew up watching the old Knight and Hale videos. Those guys could flat out turkey hunt without any gimmicks. I listened to a podcast with Mr. Harold Knight not long ago and he discussed hunting in Nebraska and said all the turkeys he killed were fanned in. You'd think an old timer like that would be stressing/teaching hunters how to hunt them without pressing the easy button. Same goes for Michael Waddell. He is a heck of a turkey hunter and does not need to take any shortcuts. You cannot watch a video of his now without him hiding behind a strutting decoy.

I just fear that new hunters are not learning the bird. Instead, they are learning shortcuts on how to kill them. Which yes...you go out in the woods to kill a turkey, but there's more to it in my opinion. That's what makes turkey hunting different.

Tail Feathers

I would have bet money it was illegal is most every state to use electronic calls on turkeys, partiularly my own state of Texas.
I checked, it is legal.  I may be lobbying my state legislator to end that next session.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr