OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Electronic turkey call thoughts

Started by PalmettoRon, June 03, 2023, 07:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoRon

Electronic calls are legal in AZ, ME, NV and TX. I have hunted 3 of those states and never given a thought to considering using an electronic turkey call.

I don't consider using real turkey sounds to lure a gobbler in, fair chase anymore than hunting over bait.

The spring snow geese hunts allow electronic calls as these hunts are essentially depredation hunts based on the over population of snow geese that exists today. Predator control is enhanced with electronic calls.We are not dealing with that issue with turkeys and to me it seems lazy to utilize an electronic call to kill a turkey.

What is legal is not always ethical in my book.

I'm curious if most of you all feel the same as I do about electronic calls for turkeys. I would be shocked if more than a very few feel using electronic calls to kill a gobbler is ethical.

Dtrkyman

Use what you want where legal, but the whole point of turkey hunting to me is trying to call them in myself!

I would love to know if the e caller would call in those hung up birds though, would be an interesting experiment!

turkey stew

The real fun part of turkey hunting is fooling the gobbler with my calling!

Kylongspur88

I consider myself a decent turkey caller and I sound better than any electronic call I've ever heard. Additionally, even if an electronic call is legal, your limiting yourself to one pitch/tone and one cadence no matter what. I can't count how many times I've been working a stubborn bird and switch up the pitch or cadence and here he comes. As said above folks can use what they want but you'll have a much more rewarding experience figuring out what the bird wants to hear and communicating with him.

Off topic, but electronic calls for predators are a totally different thing imo.

callmakerman

Man, you're opening a can of worms here. First, I'll say if a state makes it legal then so be it though in some cases I don't care for it. There's a number of things in today's hunting I don't care for.  Game cameras that send you pics to your cell phone, so you know when your deer is coming. Bow sites that have built in range finders and pouring bags of bate on the ground in front of your stand to lure in and hold deer for you. To name a few. I hunt turkeys because I love playing the game win, lose or draw and using custom made turkey calls brings that enjoyment to a higher level. It may sound a bit snobbish, but I really enjoy using a handmade call that a call maker put their heart and soul into.  I cannot even fathom trying to hunt turkey's using an electronic game call or sneaking closer with a turkey fan in front of me. JMO

guesswho

Zero interest.  And zero interest in hearing somebody talk about, or read about how they called up and killed a gobbler with an electronic call.   Some people may throw out the other E word and say I'm an Elitist.   I just consider myself a turkey hunter with self imposed restrictions on tools and methods.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sswv

not allowed in WV and that's fine with me.  I'm at a disadvantage compared to others because I've never carried a mouth call in the woods but, I get'em in and I do so without pushing a button on some electronic device. 

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 03, 2023, 07:56:54 PM
Makes me want to puke.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Calling in a Tom with the various types of calls is what makes Turkey hunting an art. Diaphragms, boxes, trumpets, pots, scratch boxes all have their own entity and art of mastery. Pushing a button on an electronic call just takes away the art of trickery, it is cheating nature in my book. This is just my opinion, I hope most states do not consider making these legal. I think it will erode our sport.
"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

I know nothing about electronic callers, but I can't imagine how using one of them would give someone an advantage in calling turkeys.  Perhaps they are versatile enough in terms of the various subtleties needed in a lot of calling situations that they might aid a novice hunter, but I find it hard to believe they would be of much benefit to anybody that has hunted turkeys long enough that they would have the need to resort to using one of them,...much less even want to do so. I suspect that even in those states where they are legal, their use is probably pretty rare.

Having said that, just from an ethical standpoint, I think their use is questionable,...but then again, there are quite a few other things in the modern turkey-hunting world that I personally believe are bigger fish to be fried in terms of the ethics involved.

Prospector

Nope. Legal doesn't mean right. Sorry, a hard "no" for me.....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

jshark14

No for me. What's the point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

Never heard turkey on an e caller but the newer sound files for calling coyotes are recorded real coyotes and sound 100% perfect!

I would imagine the turkey sounds are the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Ya, it's a big fat No for me Dawg. But if it's legal, knock yer socks off.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."