OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Off season fitness programs?

Started by Brad_Colvin, June 02, 2023, 03:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_Colvin

What kind of, if any fitness programs do y'all do to get in or stay in shape for turkey hunting. I'm 51 years old and have never really trained just let my hobbies keep me in some sort of shape. That's not working anymore and I need to make it a priority so I can continue to go up and down these hills as possible. I'm possibly going out west next spring to Idaho and Washington so my fitness really needs addressed for that. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Turkeybutt

I'll toss my two cents in and tell you to work on your cardio by cycling ( Stationary bike or on the road) walking or swimming. Anything activity that that raises your heart rate. If you go to a gym work on your legs.
Leg Raises will help to strengthen your lower body and improve your balance and flexibility.
Calf Raises,
Squats help to strengthen the muscles in your lower body. Also will help with hip and knee flexibility.
Lunges
All those you can do at home.
I'm sure others have some type of routine they like or enjoy but that's a start.

Tail Feathers

A good rowing machine can do a lot for cardio.  I prefer walking and some weight lifting.  Nothing very heavy, plenty of reps and keep the muscle tone. 
I need to do legs or squats but I hate them and avoid that.  ????
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

roberthyman14

Don't laugh.  But add a yoga class into your weekly routine. Then get your core strong,  work on cardio.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

boatpaddle

An active sex life is great for cardio, mental state of being, & helps to sleep well...

Just saying..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Brad_Colvin

Quote from: boatpaddle on June 02, 2023, 04:18:26 PM
An active sex life is great for cardio, mental state of being, & helps to sleep well...

Just saying..

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
I'm gonna show this to my wife and see if she'll get on board. You know for my health and all lol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I "train" year round, strength training and cardio every day when I am home.  So many good resources on youtube now if you are not into training it is easy to find some good info.  Of course there is always some clown too, like the liver king.

If you are not currently doing anything keep it simple, an hour a day of some kind of activity can make a large difference.

Athleanx is a good resource, he is not just some meat head, he has a masters in physical therapy and at one time was a physical therapist and strength coach for the NY. Mets.

hoythunter

We have gym at work so during my lunch I will use the stair machine a couple times a week. It will really give you a workout. I do it because I hunt a lot of mountains.

Farmboy27

I work carpentry and I farm!  Not a whole lot of time or energy left for a workout routine!!  But I do find time for 2 packs of lucky strikes a day. The morning coughing fits usually help with kick starting my heart for the day! 

Happy

When it's not turkey season, my daily routine is up at 4am. I am lucky to have a very nice gym at our office so I am working out at by 4:30 am. I lift for an hour. Focus on different mscle groups each day, and finish with 2 miles on the treadmill.I try to keep it that under 14 minutes.  At my desk by 6:am. In the evenings, I am working on home projects, but in the winter, when things are slower, I box for about 20 minutes. The other half of this equation is diet. Eat plenty of protein and stay away from carbs and processed sugar as a general rule. My wife is a bit of a fitness nut as well, and as she likes to tell her volleyball girls, " you can't out exercise a crappy diet." Still, life isn't meant to be miserable, so we enjoy an occasional pizza or cheat meal. We are in our early 40s, and honestly, I wish I would have started doing this earlier. I still hunt as hard as I did in my 20's. And we are both in better shape than most 20 year Olds these days.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Zobo

I alternate between Jazzercise and Sweatin To The Oldies
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tom007

Big thing is diet. Portion control, limit carbs, stay away from sweets......
"Solo hunter"

Mountainburd

I think a lot of it is going to depend on your age and your current fitness level. At a minimum, staying mobile and walking as much as you can will absolutely benefit you. Sedentary activity will not. Walk walk walk. If your already in fairly good shape, adding in weight lifting and running is beneficial as well. Someone suggested rowing. That's an excellent suggestion. A great way to get the cardio burn, elevated heart rate, and challenge your lungs without being hard on your joints.

I'm 43 with a broken body. Years of dirt bike riding and racing and subsequent crashes took their toll. Here I am with two herniated discs and a doctor telling me back surgery is in my future. Yet despite this I run 2-3 days a week around an 8 minute pace, lift weights, row, etc. lots of hikes as well. That's what works for me. A body in motion is met to stay in motion.

WV Flopper

I was fortunate this year and did get to spend a lot of time in the woods. I usually hunt all morning till 12-1oclock.

I like to stay close to where I hunt so cook my own food mostly. I ate out three times this turkey season.

I usually have a rib eye or a filet. Not to partial to the filets, only have them for when I have a dinner guest. Which I do frequently.

So, I have went from the 20 ounce Ribeyes, mushrooms, ramps, asparagus or potatoes in season to just a 34 ounces tomahawk yesterday. No sides. Maybe I will be dead before next season gets here.