turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Poult sightings 2023

Started by bossgobbler, May 31, 2023, 09:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

Saw two hens yesterday with seven poults which were about the size of a big pigeon

Tail Feathers

I haven't been out to my hunting woods much since season.  I don't see many poults until they get chicken sized, the grass usually too tall.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

3bailey3

just got a pic of 4 poults.

3bailey3

bwhana

Just saw a hen with 6 poults and all were fairly large so she bred and laid  before our season or during youth week.

Cowboy

Got a report from my brother few days ago. He spotted 2 hens with about 15 poults or so. This was on property my Dad owns. He also spotted a hen close by his house that had 6 poults. Fully feathered.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Jim K

I had four hens with 19 poults at my place today. I was very happy to see that. I also had nine hens walking around together with none. Not to impressed with that.

JeffC

Have been catching 2 Hens inside of a fenced retention pond built next to an empty warehouse. Keep hoping they have poults, finally heard from a contractor working nearby that he saw 4 poults 1 morning. Believe the Hens go into pond area by rip rap overflow area then forget how to get out...I watch them walk back and forth trying to get thru. Glad to see they are still around after all the construction.     
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

I laugh at them, just fly over the dumb fence...
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

WV Flopper

I seen my first hen with poults this week. At 75 MPH I caught a glimpse of them as I was blowing by. I think there were 4, could have been many more.

This morning the girl and I went to her work to make an  employee appreciation meal for lunch, I showed her my spot and she had seen turkey there recently. Multiple hens, multiple poults. My son has seen several as well.

I guess my work travels are to early (4:00a.m.) and to late at a return of (6:00p.m.). Oh well, when it counts I will have time to hunt.

I hope you guys see a million!

Cut N Run

Hen behind the house had 5 poults in early July. I saw their pictures on the trail camera for 3 weeks before then.  Haven't seen any poults since.  They might have taken up somewhere else, but I kind of doubt it.  There's 5-6 turkeys that visit here most days (one longbeard,  two bearded hens, and three hens) .  It seems like a hen would have brought poults to a regular food source, but what do I know?

One of those hens had 13 poults two years ago and 10 of them survived(!).  For as many hens as I see here, I'd figure that more poults might survive.  Too many predators, I'd bet.

Jim

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Paulmyr

I have a 3hr drive to the cabin which I make almost weekly. For a while this spring all the hens I seen were poltless. I started seeing polts after the state began mowing the road  right of ways. Before the mowing no polts, after mowing about 50% had polts. Started seeing them in the middle of July. Some were the size of pigeons others were about half that. We're not talking huge numbers of hens I been seeing. 3 maybe 4 at most in a weekend trip
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

zelmo1

Im hoping that I just aint seeing them, but sightings around here are way down. It is a trend the last 3 years. I hope I just have bad timing but my long hours scouting are pretty gloomy. Z

Spring Creek Calls

Multiple sightings in SW Michigan, most with 4-8 poults. All different sizes from pheasant to quail.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Bolandstrutters

A ton of poults in Missouri.  Have seen two hens with 23, one with 10, one with 8, one with 6 and one with 2.  Buddy has a couple of groups of 20 plus poults on his farm as well.  All central MO