turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Post season turkey call testing

Started by Tail Feathers, May 24, 2023, 05:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

My season is done but I was piddling around with my pot calls this morning.  I pulled out a lighter and heated up some slate call surfaces.  It sure seemed to help every single one of them. 
I was considering a new call or two before next spring but danged if I didn't pull out 9 or 10 that sounded mighty good.  Why was I considering some new calls?  Are any of you in search of that perfect call?

I haven't found it yet, but I've got several that are pretty close.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy

Nope. As a matter of fact, I seem to thin out more calls and stick with what works more and more every year. Not knocking the collector fellows, but that ain't me. Give me my choice of wingbones for the day and two of my diaphragm calls, and I am set. I still drag a pot call around, but it seldom gets used.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

I like my variety and trumpet ...

RutnNStrutn

I carry a box call, several diaphragms, and 3 pot calls with an assortment of strikers. My pots are slate, glass and copper. Also this season I experimented with a Gooserbat prototype pot. All the calls I carry have different sounds.
I have several wingbones and trumpets, but I can't make them sound like a turkey to save my life.
Thanks for the lighter tip David, I'll see if that makes my slate pots sound better.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Happy on May 24, 2023, 05:24:44 PMNot knocking the collector fellows, but that ain't me.

Me either. I've got some calls on display in my Man Cave, usually ones I couldn't get to work or didn't like how they sound. But I don't collect calls.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 24, 2023, 07:17:40 PM
I carry a box call, several diaphragms, and 3 pot calls with an assortment of strikers. My pots are slate, glass and copper. Also this season I experimented with a Gooserbat prototype pot. All the calls I carry have different sounds.
I have several wingbones and trumpets, but I can't make them sound like a turkey to save my life.
Thanks for the lighter tip David, I'll see if that makes my slate pots sound better.

Jim, we seem to have that whole wingbone/trumpet thing in common.  I can get the occasional turkey sound out of one but nothing consistent.  I usually carry two pot calls and four strikers.  I rotate pot calls as the season goes on to vary my sound.
If you do the flame to the slate call, watch the surface and you'll see the moisture surface, kind of lightly.  Kind of work it out from the middle.  Maybe 10-15 seconds per call and keep the flame moving.  I didn't want to melt any glue of anything. 

BDeal

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 25, 2023, 10:16:01 AM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 24, 2023, 07:17:40 PM

Jim, we seem to have that whole wingbone/trumpet thing in common.  I can get the occasional turkey sound out of one but nothing consistent.  I usually carry two pot calls and four strikers.  I rotate pot calls as the season goes on to vary my sound.
If you do the flame to the slate call, watch the surface and you'll see the moisture surface, kind of lightly.  Kind of work it out from the middle.  Maybe 10-15 seconds per call and keep the flame moving.  I didn't want to melt any glue of anything.

Does the lighter trick work with different surfaces other that slate such as glass, crystal, ceramic, aluminum or should it only be used on true slate?

Thank You!!

Tail Feathers

I have only heard of it on slate.  It seems to remove the moisture from the slate which is porous.  Glass, crystal and aliminum aren't porous so I don't see how it could help those surfaces.  But I never tried on anything but slate. 

Marc

Always happy to try a new call...  Very few make it into the vest.

Latest call to make it in was a scratcher from Lonnie Gilbert.

Next call on the list is a long-box...  It would have to sound pretty good to replace one of my current box calls.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.