OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's Your take on this?

Started by ruination, May 24, 2023, 04:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruination

Last two days of the season I was surrounded by turkeys gobbling everywhere but found the only thing I was every able to call up or have a consistent "conversation" with were hens.  6 different hens answered calls consistently.  Brought 3 in.  One did have a gobbler which I managed to whiff spectacularly on.

But...Very odd to have that many hens yelping back to me.

A lot of the gobblers seamed grouped up, so is that what was happening?

It's very rare for me to hear this many gobbles on the last couple days of the season.
.410 Favors the Bold

ManfromGreenSwamp

Tried changing up your calling technique?
Still were yelping like on day one?
Just a question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Tail Feathers

Gobblers don't gobble much when they have hens with them.  Kind of rude to go yelling in their face I guess.  Evidently you still have a lot of hens laying and not yet on the nest.
Seems that you may have to hunt late morning after those hens have left ol Tommy alone to go lay.
You conversed with turkeys and fooled them, so I'm guessing your calling is just fine.

My :z-twocents:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy

I witnessed a lot of the same. More than two gobblers were killed in the presence of hens, and there was also a miss to boot. It was weird to see a large flick with multiple gobblers so late in the season. We did have two days of serious snow in early May. Maybe some hens lost their nests and were trying again. That's just a thought though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ruination

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 24, 2023, 05:13:07 PM
Gobblers don't gobble much when they have hens with them.  Kind of rude to go yelling in their face I guess.  Evidently you still have a lot of hens laying and not yet on the nest.
Seems that you may have to hunt late morning after those hens have left ol Tommy alone to go lay.
You conversed with turkeys and fooled them, so I'm guessing your calling is just fine.

My :z-twocents:

There was plenty of gobbling going on, which is why it was so strange.  I can understand henned up.  I did bump a ton with 2 hens at 12 yesterday.  Sadly the season is over now, just don't usually have hens being that responsive.
.410 Favors the Bold

ruination

Quote from: ManfromGreenSwamp on May 24, 2023, 05:02:04 PM
Tried changing up your calling technique?
Still were yelping like on day one?
Just a question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did just about everything I could think of on several sets, admittedly I am no turkey hunting or calling prodigy.  I had opportunity to work birds, but it was always by pissing off the hens this last week.
.410 Favors the Bold

Tail Feathers

The turkeys heard that the DNR moved the season dates back so they did too.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Jfowler82

If I was to guess it would probably be your set up location. Gobblers sometimes will not respond unless your in the right location.

guesswho

TBT syndrome.  Turkeys being turkeys for no reason other than being turkeys because they have nothing else to do and all day to to it
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

It's gobblers communicating among gobblers ... As guesswho said, turkeys being turkeys ...

Paulmyr

Is it possible you have slowed the cadence and the yelp itself in your calling and are sounding like a gobbler and  attracting hens?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

ruination

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 24, 2023, 06:52:56 PM
Is it possible you have slowed the cadence and the yelp itself in your calling and are sounding like a gobbler and  attracting hens?

Nah.

I did try Jake yelping a bit though to try and get some interest.
.410 Favors the Bold

ruination

Quote from: Jfowler82 on May 24, 2023, 05:37:05 PM
If I was to guess it would probably be your set up location. Gobblers sometimes will not respond unless your in the right location.

We're talking about 20+ set ups.  I don't sit long.  But yes, that's what I initially thought also.
.410 Favors the Bold

ruination

Quote from: guesswho on May 24, 2023, 06:13:47 PM
TBT syndrome.  Turkeys being turkeys for no reason other than being turkeys because they have nothing else to do and all day to to it

I hate when they do that.

Just was wondering if there was a cycle answer like they were starting to regroup for summer or something.
.410 Favors the Bold

ferocious calls

Try some insistent clucking. Being there on the rite day is the key. Call those hens. More the better. Just stay still in their presence.