turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rope and Spike

Started by Sir-diealot, May 23, 2023, 03:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Got some decent pictures today, theses have not been edited in any way. Sure wish he had fanned for me. No, I did not even bother to reach for the gun.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

G-dub

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

guesswho

Looks like he's toting daggers for spurs in that last picture.  Thanks for sharing.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sir-diealot

Quote from: guesswho on May 23, 2023, 04:05:51 PM
Looks like he's toting daggers for spurs in that last picture.  Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome. If I had not been trying to get him to fan for a picture I would have reached for the gun. I do not have a good fanning picture this year though. I messed up though, I should not have cut at him, that spooked him and he left

John Koenig:

Cut N Run

Nice shots.  Those make me want to hunt with a camera.

Just had a pair of longbeards behind the house a few minutes ago.  They clean up the corn that the deer miss.  I haven't seen a hen in a couple weeks, but hopefully they show up with some poults soon.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Cut N Run on May 23, 2023, 04:22:50 PM
Nice shots.  Those make me want to hunt with a camera.

Just had a pair of longbeards behind the house a few minutes ago.  They clean up the corn that the deer miss.  I haven't seen a hen in a couple weeks, but hopefully they show up with some poults soon.

Jim

Thank you.

I enjoy photography, I have since I was a child but before the advent of digital I could not afford to do it, just getting film developed was killing me. I wish I had been able to afford it then because the lessons I learned then would be serving me very well today.

I had a deer run out in front of me on the way home at 1:10 in the afternoon today, did not look like a fawn but had to have been a very late drop last year, it almost looked to be on spindly legs like a fawn if you know what I mean. I am hoping to get a picture of a doe giving birth, that would be really cool.

Yea they find a lot of leftovers to eat for sure. I have not seen poults this year but it is very early for NY I would not expect it before mid to late June I would assume, but I only think I know what I am talking about.

John Koenig:

Wigsplitter

3bailey3

ChesterCopperpot

Sure does. At least an inch and a quarter if not an inch and a half. Great pictures. More restraint than I could've shown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howieg

I'm not far from trading gun in on a good camera , seeing this makes me want it more .
Getting him that close for those type pics is just as cool if not more then killing him .... Plus there's a chance to do it all over tmro with a camera in hand instead of a gun.   Honestly, it doesn't take a whole lot of skill to shot a turkey with a shotgun .  Getting him that close is the game imo ..  kudos

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Wigsplitter on May 23, 2023, 05:22:22 PM
Nice pictures!

Thank you much.

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 23, 2023, 07:00:50 PM
Awesome!

Thank you.

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 23, 2023, 07:37:21 PM
Sure does. At least an inch and a quarter if not an inch and a half. Great pictures. More restraint than I could've shown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figure about the same thing as did a friend who has more experience than I do.

Quote from: Howieg on May 23, 2023, 11:04:17 PM
I'm not far from trading gun in on a good camera , seeing this makes me want it more .
Getting him that close for those type pics is just as cool if not more then killing him .... Plus there's a chance to do it all over tmro with a camera in hand instead of a gun.   Honestly, it doesn't take a whole lot of skill to shot a turkey with a shotgun .  Getting him that close is the game imo ..  kudos

That does make it a lot of fun, (Being able to photograph them over and over) it is almost like bow hunting them to me. (How close you have to get to them for a good picture) He was no further than I think it was 42 yards from me at any time until he left by the range finder and was closer to me than the decoys which were at 22 & 24 yards by the range finder. I did not think about ranging him until he was leaving as I knew I was not going to shoot.

A lot of whether I pick up my gun or not really has to do with measuring my pain level at the time they are in front of me and this year is so bad it is not funny, right now it is 5:13 in the morning and I have been up since 3 and my toe is so bad I have decided not to go. I am walking on the side of the toe instead of the bottom and it is absolutely killing me just trying to walk in the house in slippers let alone trying to walk outdoors on rutted uneven ground. I was using a crutch to take the dog out yesterday. I just took my oxy so now I can't go anywhere for 6hrs. so that is settled. Even if not for how the toe is now I would have to decide if my back is good enough to clean a bird completely, standing in place is something that is hard for me even after 20 seconds, walking is much better. Ask any of the guys that have seen me at Turkey Trot Acres and they will tell you I am constantly on the move walking or shifting my weight from side to side to keep the pain to a minimum. Then there is the foot, the knees and the hands. It is just less painful to photograph them any more.

Like I had told somebody not long ago here when I had my accident and could not hunt for 15 years I begged God to let me get back into the woods/fields and hunt it was not a big buck I was begging him for, I wanted my first turkey and I wanted it to be a mature tom and he gave me that after I think it was 3 or 4 years of being back. If I never shoot another one I honestly do not care, so long as I can be out there with them, hearing them, seeing them, observing them,  that is what means something to me and I am fine with never shooting another one with a gun. I do want to keep shooting them with the camera though.

John Koenig:

jgard

Pictures speak a thousand words. Ver nice

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Marc

Nice pictures...

Out of curiosity...  Were you actually hunting, or just shooting photos?  If you were hunting, why did you not shoot?

First bird of the season for me, I had to exchange my sandwich for a gun on a bird that came in quiet and surprised me.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.