turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jake Uses

Started by Lone Star Eastern, May 21, 2023, 09:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Eastern

Does anyone have any cool ideas for parts from a jake (short beard, legs, fan, wings)? I don't particularly want to display him on the wall, despite him being a public land trophy to me, but I didn't want to just toss all of him into woods either. I brought them on home, hoping to come up with something.

Any ideas?

I do intend to try my first wing bone with the wing, and plucking the pretty feather for decoration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerhunt1988

I string my jake spurs and beard just like I string my other gobblers'. No reason to be ashamed. We were content to pull the trigger so I'm content to display them in the same manner.

joey46

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 21, 2023, 09:38:09 PM
I string my jake spurs and beard just like I string my other gobblers'. No reason to be ashamed. We were content to pull the trigger so I'm content to display them in the same manner.
Ditto - never any shame in taking a legal bird. 

Turkeybutt

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrFFzMpHGtkTIA.0ytXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1684769962/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3diK1g--gA1Po/RK=2/RS=m2WinnXcID1d3wEt.P2tCkteCHY-

Look at this video as I found it very interesting and just another way to display your trophy. Put the stones in a glass tumbler. Since each turkey is unique in what stones they eat to help process the food they eat. So as you add layers you will see the different colors from each bird you harvest.
No shame in killing a Jake, a turkey, any turkey is a trophy!

Tail Feathers

Jake wingbones can make a good wingbone call.  As for spurs and beards, I save 'em all in a box.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Zobo

I would definitely display it among older birds taken. Most people will find it interesting to see the differences in the fans.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sir-diealot

Although I have chosen not to take jakes I think that any male turkey taken should be honored and there is nothing wrong with taking one if you see fit. Your turkey is worthy of display just like anyone else's, who cares what some narrow minded fools think.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

WV Flopper

If you are happy with your Jake you do as you see fit! Don't be ashamed.

There is nothing wrong IMO of harvesting the occasional Jake.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 21, 2023, 09:38:09 PM
Amen.

captpete

I made this little display for wife from a Jake she killed...it was the 1st turkey she killed.

104_3202 by K Pete, on Flickr

Lone Star Eastern

That's cool!

mountainhunter1

Quote from: captpete on May 23, 2023, 08:59:47 AM
I made this little display for wife from a Jake she killed...it was the 1st turkey she killed.

104_3202 by K Pete, on Flickr

Very cool - That is really sharp!
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

zelmo1

Thats nice Pete, Z

Turkeybutt

Pete good job and an awesome way to acknowledge her accomplishment. Each time you or your wife looks at that photo the memories of that day will surface once again.
Good for you!

captpete

Thanks for the compliments. Before anybody starts to think I have some good woodworking skills. I didn't make the box. It is just an inexpensive shadow box/frame from Wally World.

Again thanks for the compliments, I appreciate them.